Biggest upset in Bills history

Bills Biggest Upset???  

66 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bills leave Foxboro with a victory tonight, would it be the biggest upset in Bills history?

• Yes. No one expects the Bills to win. They are horrible against Belichick. There's too much turmoil among the organization, and a win would be a miracle.
    • No. It's just a regular season game. They've played bigger games and upset bigger opponents.

Is anyone picking them to win? This should be a no-brainer, however, a .5% of me thinks there's a chance of a win. If it happens, will it be the biggest upset in Bills history? If you say no, what do you conisder the Bills biggest upset to be.

I say, yes, it would be the biggest upset in Bills history.

I disagree. Reich's comeback is hard to beat.

Look, teams beat teams that they have no business beating all the time. A few seasons ago, when the Bills dismantled NE in the first game of the season, we weren't supposed to win that one, either. I admit that it's going to be tough to beat a well-coached, well-QB'd team, but consider the X factors in play here:

1. What if AVP got into Trent's head and jammed a little swagger in there?

2. What if Jackson and Oman play out of their minds to take advantage of this once-in-a-career opportunity?

3. What if those checkdowns that everyone is griping about work against a weak Pats secondary (see item 2) ?

4. What if Maybin, Kelsay, and Schobel all feel--for different reasons--that they have something to prove on national TV vs. the Patriots* and Hoodie?

5. What about the T.O. factor? My god, what if he wreaks havoc in the secondary? He's so scary talented, YOU could throw a pass up to him and he'd make something out of it.

Call it dreaming, call it too much adrenaline on opening day, but just don't discount all of these unknowns. If these guys ratchet up their game because it is (1) opening day, (2) national tv, (3) against the Pats*, who knows what could happen. Tell you what--if the Bills win tonight, I will put it in a tie for first with Reich's game.

Is anyone picking them to win? This should be a no-brainer, however, a .5% of me thinks there's a chance of a win. If it happens, will it be the biggest upset in Bills history? If you say no, what do you conisder the Bills biggest upset to be.

Yes it will. Maybe only other game that would come close is the when they beat the Cowboys in 84 or 85. Yes, that is how low eveybody thinks of this cuurent team..you have to go back to 2-14 teams to find a Bills team less likely to win.

Reich's comeback wasn't really an upset. Anyway, winning tonight wouldn't come close to the '65 championship game @San Diego. The previous year we weren't expected to win either, but we weren't as good in '65 and the Chargers were better than the year before. The lead up to that game was so one sided, it was thought that it would be better not to play the game and just annoint SD.

Final score: Bills 20 Chargers 0!!

Reich's comeback wasn't really an upset. Anyway, winning tonight wouldn't come close to the '65 championship game @San Diego. The previous year we weren't expected to win either, but we weren't as good in '65 and the Chargers were better than the year before. The lead up to that game was so one sided, it was thought that it would be better not to play the game and just annoint SD.

Final score: Bills 20 Chargers 0!!

I agree that the Comeback was not an upset. The win over SD was but not to same proportions this would be.

I don't think the comeback game qualifies an an upset. It was a playoff game and an amazing win. One of the biggest in team history. Beyond incredible comeback no doubt. I recall the Oilers spanked the Bills the week before but I don't think it was a huge upset.

What qualifies as an upset? Winning a game against an allegedly far superior team that nobody gives you a chance in hell of winning before the game begins. Think Super Bowl III. Jets beating the Colts was an upset.

I think the biggest upset in Bills history was the 1980 opener against Miami. Nobody expected the Bills to break the 20 straight game Miami win streak. Last time the Bills beat the Pats was an upset win.

So, Bills have lost 11 straight and 16 of 17 to the Pats. Road game, Monday Night opener. Return of Tom Brady. 11.5 point underdogs. Bills offense apparently a huge train wreck. I think a win tonight would be the 2nd biggest upset win in Bills History behind the 1980 Miami game.

I don't think the comeback game qualifies an an upset. It was a playoff game and an amazing win. One of the biggest in team history. Beyond incredible comeback no doubt. I recall the Oilers spanked the Bills the week before but I don't think it was a huge upset.

What qualifies as an upset? Winning a game against an allegedly far superior team that nobody gives you a chance in hell of winning before the game begins. Think Super Bowl III. Jets beating the Colts was an upset.

I think the biggest upset in Bills history was the 1980 opener against Miami. Nobody expected the Bills to break the 20 straight game Miami win streak. Last time the Bills beat the Pats was an upset win.

So, Bills have lost 11 straight and 16 of 17 to the Pats. Road game, Monday Night opener. Return of Tom Brady. 11.5 point underdogs. Bills offense apparently a huge train wreck. I think a win tonight would be the 2nd biggest upset win in Bills History behind the 1980 Miami game.

K i need some help here. I seem to remember not thinking that was a big upset. Came close the year before when Dempsey(still my most hated Bill ever) missed the gimme. Yes it was big in terms of finally emding the streak, but just seems to me we all thought the Bills were going to be okay that year. But, could be wrong there.

K i need some help here. I seem to remember not thinking that was a big upset. Came close the year before when Dempsey(still my most hated Bill ever) missed the gimme. Yes it was big in terms of finally emding the streak, but just seems to me we all thought the Bills were going to be okay that year. But, could be wrong there.
Agreed plus Knox was building something good I do not believe we were big underdogs but it was a key and big win. What a celebration on the field and in the stands, goalposts coming down etc. Talking Proud era for Buffalo and the Bills

Week 2 (Sunday September 28, 1975): Buffalo Bills

1 2 3 4 Total

Bills 0 10 13 7 30

Steelers 0 0 7 14 21

at Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

What if my aunt had balls? She'd be my uncle...

Look, teams beat teams that they have no business beating all the time. A few seasons ago, when the Bills dismantled NE in the first game of the season, we weren't supposed to win that one, either. I admit that it's going to be tough to beat a well-coached, well-QB'd team, but consider the X factors in play here:

2. What if Jackson and Oman play out of their minds to take advantage of this once-in-a-career opportunity?

3. What if those checkdowns that everyone is griping about work against a weak Pats secondary (see item 2) ?

4. What if Maybin, Kelsay, and Schobel all feel--for different reasons--that they have something to prove on national TV vs. the Patriots* and Hoodie?

5. What about the T.O. factor? My god, what if he wreaks havoc in the secondary? He's so scary talented, YOU could throw a pass up to him and he'd make something out of it.

Call it dreaming, call it too much adrenaline on opening day, but just don't discount all of these unknowns. If these guys ratchet up their game because it is (1) opening day, (2) national tv, (3) against the Pats*, who knows what could happen. Tell you what--if the Bills win tonight, I will put it in a tie for first with Reich's game.

I agree that the Comeback was not an upset. The win over SD was but not to same proportions this would be.

I also agree that the win against Houston was not an upset.

What WAS an upset was the following week's victory at Pittsburgh, the #1 seed. IIRC, we handed their a$$es to them on a platter, 24-3 . . .

Look, I really want us to win. But we need to face certain facts:The Patriots are looking strong. They're healthy. And they have Brady back.

WE haven't scored a touchdown with our starting offense. And our starting RB is suspended for the game

The biggest X factor is T.O., and if we manage to pull it off, it will probably be due to him.

Lets hope you are right!!

Nope, that would be 1968: Bills (1-12-1) defeated the eventual SB Champ Jets.

One of my all-time favorite games. Namath threw 5 TD's that day. 2 to his teammates and 3 to us! But, IIRC, the game was in September and the Jets -while good- weren't great at that time. That is, AFL power was in the west. Pretty sure NY also lost to Denver in much the same fashion, before catching fire late and running the table.

For as exciting as that game was, we didn't realize then that we wouldn't win again that year...

Nope, that would be 1968: Bills (1-12-1) defeated the eventual SB Champ Jets.

Thank-you.

I was looking to see if anyone would mention the lone 1968 win, against of all teams, the Jets who were on their way to win the Superbowl - an AFL first.

This is without question the biggest Bills upset in their history. Can't believe it took the board this long to mention it.

Funny anecdote from Joe Namath's book, "I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow...." where he confesses to being a real late night party animal, frequently drinking late into the night before gameday.

The one game in '68 where he behaved and got a good night sleep without the nighttime partying ritual? The game in Buffalo where the lost to the hapless Bills. Joe Willie played his poorest game of the year.

Anyway, when your only win in 14 games is against the soon to be superbowl champs, that's your big upset right there.

Thank-you.

I was looking to see if anyone would mention the lone 1968 win, against of all teams, the Jets who were on their way to win the Superbowl - an AFL first.

This is without question the biggest Bills upset in their history. Can't believe it took the board this long to mention it.

Funny anecdote from Joe Namath's book, "I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow...." where he confesses to being a real late night party animal, frequently drinking late into the night before gameday.

The one game in '68 where he behaved and got a good night sleep without the nighttime partying ritual? The game in Buffalo where the lost to the hapless Bills. Joe Willie played his poorest game of the year.

Anyway, when your only win in 14 games is against the soon to be superbowl champs, that's your big upset right there.

You need to view the significance of the upset at the time of its' occurrence -- not years (or even six months) later. Given what we knew at the time the game was played, I'd have to say the defeat of Dallas in the mid-80s qualifies as that game for me.

Edit: To answer the OP's question, yes, I believe tonight would take the cake if the Bills pulled it off.