5 things that need to happen for a Bills win

Reddy Freddy

In no particular order, my keys to the game:

1. Fred Jackson must control the game and dominate. It's impossible to put a number on his production, but I'd guess he needs 200 yards of total offense for us to have a good chance. Should be easier without Seymour.

2. No turnovers.

3. Significant and consistent pressure on Brady. Pressure is more important than sacks, but the pressure needs to lead to turnovers.

4. Big plays in the pass game. Edwards needs to hook up with Evans and TO for multiple big gains, and preferably long TDs. We're going to need some cheap points, perhaps from a blown coverage.

5. Big plays from an unexpected player on both sides of the ball. Someone like Schouman on offense and Ellison on defense.

1. Fred Jackson must control the game and dominate. It's impossible to put a number on his production, but I'd guess he needs 200 yards of total offense for us to have a good chance. Should be easier without Seymour.

2. No turnovers.

3. Significant and consistent pressure on Brady. Pressure is more important than sacks, but the pressure needs to lead to turnovers.

4. Big plays in the pass game. Edwards needs to hook up with Evans and TO for multiple big gains, and preferably long TDs. We're going to need some cheap points, perhaps from a blown coverage.

5. Big plays from an unexpected player on both sides of the ball. Someone like Schouman on offense and Ellison on defense.

You forgot one thing.

Score more points than they do. :rolleyes:

2. No turnovers.

In other words,,,forget it

2. No turnovers.

I think you make it seem a bit harder than it really is. If all 5 of these things happen, you have something like a 41-10 Bills victory.

I think you make it seem a bit harder than it really is. If all 5 of these things happen, you have something like a 41-10 Bills victory.

Not sure that's true, unfortunately. Remember the Bills-Cowboys game on MNF a couple years ago? We had a million breaks and unexpected big plays and still lost. The reality is we're playing a much better team, so we need a lot to happen to win. Difficult, but certainly not impossible.

He must have a good game, but 200 total yards is overdoing it. Simply put, we need an effective run game and have our running back make some plays when checked down to.

2. No turnovers.

Less turnovers than new england, and have our turnovers be at non-crucial times

Yea, we need pressure

Yup, we need TE to come through and have an effective game all night.

Yea, I think we will need a big play at some point. It doesn't have to be from an unexpected player, that is silly. A pick 6 by ellison is just as good as a pick 6 from McGee. A sack and fumble from Ellis is just as good as a sack and fumble from Kelsay. A kick return by McKelvin for a TD is just as good as anything. A a TD throw to schouman is just as good as a TD throw to Owens.

In other words.

We need to win the turnover battle, put pressure on Brady, have an effective scoring offense, and have some big time plays.

Yea, I think we will need a big play at some point. It doesn't have to be from an unexpected player, that is silly. A pick 6 by ellison is just as good as a pick 6 from McGee. A sack and fumble from Ellis is just as good as a sack and fumble from Kelsay. A kick return by McKelvin for a TD is just as good as anything. A a TD throw to schouman is just as good as a TD throw to Owens.

Thanks for clarifying that a TD from Owens is worth the same amount of points as a TD from Schouman, in case there was confusion about that.

The point is that we are assuming that our best players are already making big plays. In order to win, I believe we also need production from players who we do not expect to make big plays.

Thanks for clarifying that a TD from Owens is worth the same amount of points as a TD from Schouman, in case there was confusion about that.

The point is that we are assuming that our best players are already making big plays. In order to win, I believe we also need production from players who we do not expect to make big plays.

So in order to win, not only do our top players need to make TDs, that won't be enough period? We need a TD from schouman, or fine, or maybe a hail mary to jenkins? Sure. All I am saying, is if in that drive where you want schouman to have a TD, we get a TD from owens, there is no difference.

But okay, you are right. We need Freddy to have 200 total yards, evans and owens to have TDs. Trent to have a great amazing game. A TD from Schouman or Fine. Not even 1 turnover. And on top of our offense having a career night, patriots also have to blow some coverage to give us cheap points. And then after we put 4569 thousand points, we need our defense to shut down brady and put pressure on him.

I hope you know you are describing a blowout, but okay. ;)

So in order to win, not only do our top players need to make TDs, that won't be enough period? We need a TD from schouman, or fine, or maybe a hail mary to jenkins? Sure. All I am saying, is if in that drive where you want schouman to have a TD, we get a TD from owens, there is no difference.

But okay, you are right. We need Freddy to have 200 total yards, evans and owens to have TDs. Trent to have a great amazing game. A TD from Schouman or Fine. Not even 1 turnover. And on top of our offense having a career night, patriots also have to blow some coverage to give us cheap points. And then after we put 4569 thousand points, we need our defense to shut down brady and put pressure on him.

I hope you know you are describing a blowout, but okay. ;)

Lindells 3 field goals are not going to be enough to win,Pats 28-9

In other words.

We need to win the turnover battle, put pressure on Brady, have an effective scoring offense, and have some big time plays.

The Bills don't just need to win the turnover battle, they need to have a +2 or +3 edge and score 10+ points off of turnovers. The Bills could win the turnover battle by 1 and still get demolished.

The only chance I see of the Bills winning is if Brady gets hurt early. Otherwise I just don't see how this Bills D can stop the Pats.

2. No turnovers.

In more particular order, I generally agree with what you are saying but have a couple of disagreements;

1. Big plays in the pass game is the #1 need in my book. It actually can quite possibly happen as we have the WR weapons in TO and Evans and the feakish speed and open field running ability of Parrish and the NE defense has been great but clearly is much changed in terms of starting personnel.

Our own wacky disruption with Turk getting bounced and our young OL makes it quite likely we will not be effective with our O but hope springs eternal and if we hit a couple of long passes early we can set a great tone for this game.

Likewise if we miss and go 3 and out a couple of times it will likely be a long evening.

2. Significant and consistent pressure on Brady- NE is gonna score points one way or the other, that is a likely fact. The question is whether these are gonna be easily obtained scores which will dictate this game for the Bills disadvantage or whether there is consistent pressure so these scores will almost certainly occur but NE will need to fight for them and earn thenm.

3. Rather than no turnovers I think it is more important the Bills win the turnover battle. I have no problem with the Bills giving up a couple of turnovers with a hard-pressing O if we can get key fumble recoveries from ST and timely INTs for three turnovers on them. Two for them and 1 on us is by far the likeliest best we will do but I do not expect or demand perfection from us in turnovers if we are putting the pedal to the metal in our passing game. In fact, though TE should go into this game working for no turnovers, if he is pressing to make no mistakes he almost certainly will make them in AVPs first game as OC and the O is gonna need some help from the D to hold its own in this one if we want to be rational about this.

4. Just a rook caught a key pass in yesterday's Pitts win, teams are going to need someone unexpected to step up and make a play so this is a true observation but no where near an expectation unless a player is named. I really doubt Schouman is gonna be that man due to his indiviual abilities and the likely diminished role the TE will play. If you are looking for a TE, Nelson on the goalline fade route is a better bet than Shouman anywhere. Maybin continuing the rush chops he showed in your biggest likely Bills bet for a game changing individual play.

5. If this team is relying on Jackson they likely will lose. 150 combined yards would be an outstanding accomplishment by this Coe College youngster andover 200 as you hope for is a wild fantasy in my book. If anything, if he got a good 35-40 yards burning the clock in the 4th quarter I would label this an outstanding contribution even if he ended up with less than 100 combined.

2. No turnovers.

So big plays from skill positions, pressure on the QB, and win the turnover battle.

Interesting concepts for winning a football game ;)

If everything happens the way you suggest, it would be a freaking blowout. Multiple long TDs to Owens and Evans, plus 200+ from Fred Jackson and no turnovers? Can I also get you five punt return TDs to go with that?

It ain't that difficult. Move the chains. Limit 3-and-outs on offense. Score at least once each quarter (at least 2 TDs). Don't be afraid to blitz Brady. Make tackles. In other words, play a SOLID game. If that happens, the Bills will at least have a shot in the 4th quarter.

These are the five things we need to do to win? I think you are overstating it significantly.

1) 200+ yards Freddie

AND 2) ZERO turnovers

AND 3) Turnover inducing pressure all game long

AND 4) Multiple long TDs for TO and Lee

AND 5) Big plays from unknowns

Hmmm...those all seem like good things that would be nice to have, but I don't think by any stretch of the imagination those five things have to all happen for the Bills to win, so I think your fundamental premise is flawed. If all five of those things happen we would likely win big right? And we could likely win 24-20 or 17-14 without all five of those things happening, but just some assorted good things happening.

I see a lot of similarities with the 2006 Opener @NE which we lost 19-17, in which Losman threw for more yardage and fewer INTs than Brady, Willis didn't know what down it was, and the first play from scrimmage was a Brady fumble/Fletcher TD. That was a winnable game we let get away, and I think we are a stronger defense now, and I think the 2006 Pats* team is more similar to this year's than the 16-0 2007 or the Matt Cassel 2008. I'm not saying that it is going to happen, but NONE of the things you listed happened in that game and we could have won it quite easily despite it being on the road and the participation of Brady and Bellichick.

So Monday is a very hard game, and if things go wrong it could be an ugly loss, but I think people are both underestimating the Bills, and overestimating the Walker-less Pats* with a bunch of losses on D, and Brady's first start in a year.

2. No turnovers.

2. No turnovers.

3,4&5 lmfao

These are the five things we need to do to win? I think you are overstating it significantly.

1) 200+ yards Freddie

AND 2) ZERO turnovers

AND 3) Turnover inducing pressure all game long

AND 4) Multiple long TDs for TO and Lee

AND 5) Big plays from unknowns

Hmmm...those all seem like good things that would be nice to have, but I don't think by any stretch of the imagination those five things have to all happen for the Bills to win, so I think your fundamental premise is flawed. If all five of those things happen we would likely win big right? And we could likely win 24-20 or 17-14 without all five of those things happening, but just some assorted good things happening.

I see a lot of similarities with the 2006 Opener @NE which we lost 19-17, in which Losman threw for more yardage and fewer INTs than Brady, Willis didn't know what down it was, and the first play from scrimmage was a Brady fumble/Fletcher TD. That was a winnable game we let get away, and I think we are a stronger defense now, and I think the 2006 Pats* team is more similar to this year's than the 16-0 2007 or the Matt Cassel 2008. I'm not saying that it is going to happen, but NONE of the things you listed happened in that game and we could have won it quite easily despite it being on the road and the participation of Brady and Bellichick.

So Monday is a very hard game, and if things go wrong it could be an ugly loss, but I think people are both underestimating the Bills, and overestimating the Walker-less Pats* with a bunch of losses on D, and Brady's first start in a year.

That 2006 opener was also the game that the refs robbed us blind. If we get that same crew or another similar "Bob Kraft special", you can kiss this game goodbye before it starts.....