Anyone ever have to ship their dog?

stevestojan

As I am moving out to Tucson, I will be driving out next week, and my wife will be flying out the first week in October (work pays to ship one car). That said, for the first couple weeks I will be living in a hotel and even if not, I don't think I could make the 38 hour drive with my dogs. We are going to have them shipped. Does anyone know a reliable service for this, or have any experiences with any specific airlines? I have googled, but of course recommendations are always best.

Thanks!

Edit: They are not small enough to put on a dog carrier and fly with my wife

Ya, you can make it by car. :thumbsup:

Do what Mitt Romney did:

The incident: dog excrement found on the roof and windows of the Romney station wagon. How it got there: Romney strapped a dog carrier — with the family dog Seamus, an Irish Setter, in it — to the roof of the family station wagon for a twelve hour drive from Boston to Ontario, which the family apparently completed, despite Seamus's rather visceral protest.

As I am moving out to Tucson, I will be driving out next week, and my wife will be flying out the first week in October (work pays to ship one car). That said, for the first couple weeks I will be living in a hotel and even if not, I don't think I could make the 38 hour drive with my dogs. We are going to have them shipped. Does anyone know a reliable service for this, or have any experiences with any specific airlines? I have googled, but of course recommendations are always best.

Thanks!

Since you're asking about shipping your dog, you obviously have never traveled a distance with him. My dog travels regularly from fayetteville, nc to buffalo or youngstown, oh (11 and 9 hour drive respectively). He's never been a problem. Just make sure to get a good poop out before you put him in the back seat or expect to drive for 20 minutes, stop, and let him do his thing. Throw a towel down and just ride. Every time you have to stop for yourself, just make sure you walk him for 5 minutes. It's cake. If that fails, you could ship him in something like this.

I kind of think your doing it bass ackwards Steve. I would have flown out first. Then flown back in early October and made the drive with the wife and dogs. They should be able to handle the drive easily but, from experience, it is much easier to travel with dogs when there are two adults in the car. I personally have never "shipped" my dogs and hope to never have to.

Thanks!

What kind of dogs? How old are they?

I have made a 10 hour drive alone with a dog. It wasn't a problem for me and the dog, like Corp said, just make sure you take it out every time you stop.

thanks for the feedback. i need to ship them.

one i a 100 pound black lab. the other is a beagle. the drive is 38 hours. that means two hotel stops.

as far as "would i ship my kids"? yes i would. on a plane. unfortunately i dont think they allow my boy guinness to sit in coach.

We moved from Seattle to Williamsburg VA w/5 Cats & one Golden Retriever.

We drove with the 5 cats in my SUV. When you're traveling w/5 cats, you need to look for a 40 year old former Holiday Inn, where you can back the car up to the door, under cover of darkness, and move the 5 kennels into the room. Made that drive in 3.5 days, put the cats on ice in Williamsburg, flew back to Seattle, picked up the dog and my wife's car, and drove back to Virginia again, in 3.5 days.

I would never consider "shipping" an animal unless it was: Cool temps., a non-stop flight-which is almost impossible now, and if I were a passenger on the same flight.

Most airlines don't even accept animals any more because of all the Connection & Delay issues.

Good Luck-you can do it!

We moved from Seattle to Williamsburg VA w/5 Cats & one Golden Retriever.

We drove with the 5 cats in my SUV. When you're traveling w/5 cats, you need to look for a 40 year old former Holiday Inn, where you can back the car up to the door, under cover of darkness, and move the 5 kennels into the room. Made that drive in 3.5 days, put the cats on ice in Williamsburg, flew back to Seattle, picked up the dog and my wife's car, and drove back to Virginia again, in 3.5 days.

I would never consider "shipping" an animal unless it was: Cool temps., a non-stop flight-which is almost impossible now, and if I were a passenger on the same flight.

Most airlines don't even accept animals any more because of all the Connection & Delay issues.

Good Luck-you can do it!

;):thumbsup:

5! I hope my wife and children don't read this... It took them 13 years to finally get a second cats (kitten in May)! I always had dogs growing up... ;)

as far as "would i ship my kids"? yes i would. on a plane. unfortunately i dont think they allow my boy guinness to sit in coach.

So you wouldn't ship your kids, you would have somebody travel with them. My point is that dogs aren't inanimate objects, you can't just put them in a box with some airholes and treat them like freight

You named your son Guiness? ;);)

thanks for the feedback. i need to ship them.

one i a 100 pound black lab. the other is a beagle. the drive is 38 hours. that means two hotel stops.

Cheap bastage.

Since you're asking about shipping your dog, you obviously have never traveled a distance with him. My dog travels regularly from fayetteville, nc to buffalo or youngstown, oh (11 and 9 hour drive respectively). He's never been a problem. Just make sure to get a good poop out before you put him in the back seat or expect to drive for 20 minutes, stop, and let him do his thing. Throw a towel down and just ride. Every time you have to stop for yourself, just make sure you walk him for 5 minutes. It's cake. If that fails, you could ship him in something like this.

This was how we did it when we drove our 55-lb boxer home with us at the holidays. We did the trip from Orlando to Niagara Falls in one straight shot, usually about 20-21 hours or so (counting extended rest stops and food) and never had any problems with the dog.