Chuck Pollock calls 'em as he sees 'em

Beerball

Probably didn't think it was necessary to mention it, because to Ralph, Wade's suggestion was a non-starter -- he wanted Jones GONE. Reportedly, Phillips did refuse the ultimatum, and we know the results.

Interestingly, while most of the people I've heard from since this went down agree with Chuck, not everyone does ...

That might be a fair assessment of Ralph's view, it's not fair to Phillips, who was willing to make an adjustment. He wasn't demanding something ridiculous (i.e., keeping Jones as the special teams coach).

What everyone is screaming about is that a coordinator was fired 10 days before the season starts. Not that said coordinator didn't deserve to get axed. Pollock even admits that when Ralph told Wade to get rid of his buddy Ronnie Jones the Bills special teams were the jokeof the NFL.

So I ask you was Ralph wrong for swing the axe on Turk? We all know Limp Dick Jauron is so conservative he won't even change which leg he sticks in first in his trousers when he dresses in the morning. We could have gone all season without scoring a TD and Jauron would just tell us how hard everyone works in practice.

I for one have no problem with Ralph making this change. To me going into the season with Turk or throwing AVP in now is the same thing. It was going to be bad either way.

PTR

yup

That might be a fair assessment of Ralph's view, it's not fair to Phillips, who was willing to make an adjustment. He wasn't demanding something ridiculous (i.e., keeping Jones as the special teams coach).

I am pretty sure that Wade did not have final say on his staff. Wade stood up to Wilson and said he would have to fire them both. Wilson obliged and did just that. That is why Wilson didn't want to pay Wade and felt he was grossly insubordinate.

Levy gave Jauron control of his coaching staff and wrote it into his contract. Jauron has final say on these things. It quite literally is his decision to make. Wilson wanted Schonert gone at the end of last season, so it is no great mystery what his advice probably was. Although, he was probably no doubt a tad annoyed about the whole thing. Annoyed enough to call an executive meeting and fly everybody in and further cut into their limited time to get ready for the game with the Patriots. Mr. Wilson is not an idiot nor is he a daft fool like Jerry Jones.

Probably didn't think it was necessary to mention it, because to Ralph, Wade's suggestion was a non-starter -- he wanted Jones GONE. Reportedly, Phillips did refuse the ultimatum, and we know the results.

Interestingly, while most of the people I've heard from since this went down agree with Chuck, not everyone does ...

Doesn't matter whether Jauron or Wilson called for the axe. The fact is, they waited until 10 days before the biggest game of the season. The worst time of all.

For the reasons Jauron cited in his PC, it contradicts his overnight change of heart. When you fire someone, they have been doing things to unnerve you for some time or they did something drastic to unnerve you quickly. Jauron waiting until after the Detroit game where he knew there would be no starters? Weird. Head coach has no input with game planning? Weird.

I agree with Chuck in that Jauron lied, but there's tons of lying going on with sports and the media.

Ralph needs to fire Jauron and hire a coach worth a damn for once and drop this dumb buddy buddy system, hence Levy as GM, AVP as OC, etc. This team will continue to be vanilla and mediocre as long as Ralph is still doing these things and allowing people Scott Berchtold to give only ESPN and CBS media access, which gets us nowhere.

Doesn't matter whether Jauron or Wilson called for the axe. The fact is, they waited until 10 days before the biggest game of the season. The worst time of all.

For the reasons Jauron cited in his PC, it contradicts his overnight change of heart. When you fire someone, they have been doing things to unnerve you for some time or they did something drastic to unnerve you quickly. Jauron waiting until after the Detroit game where he knew there would be no starters? Weird. Head coach has no input with game planning? Weird.

It may well have been the Detroit game, how it was called, things said, expectations not being met, insubordination. No question the timing was bad, but if the situation was continuing to fester (Schonert basically confirmed that it did) then it was inevitable.

And yet there are no changes until 10 days before the opener?

What do you suppose finally made Jauron move?

DJ said Trent has already begun preparations for NE BEFORE the Detroit game. My hunch is Turk's game plan for the NE game was discussed, DJ felt it was crap, and wanted changes to which Turk probably argued against. DJ then likely had/seen enough.

I agree with Chuck in that Jauron lied, but there's tons of lying going on with sports and the media.

Ralph needs to fire Jauron and hire a coach worth a damn for once and drop this dumb buddy buddy system, hence Levy as GM, AVP as OC, etc. This team will continue to be vanilla and mediocre as long as Ralph is still doing these things and allowing people Scott Berchtold to give only ESPN and CBS media access, which gets us nowhere.

Call me stupid if you want but the biggest game is the Tampa game. The Bills can lose and look respectable against NE but if they lose their home opener with a poor offensive performance it is doomsday for the rest of the season. I realize if is early and a non-conference game but it is almost a must win given the schedule and the current state of the coaching staff.

Call me stupid if you want but the biggest game is the Tampa game. The Bills can lose and look respectable against NE but if they lose their home opener with a poor offensive performance it is doomsday for the rest of the season. I realize if is early and a non-conference game but it is almost a must win given the schedule and the current state of the coaching staff.

The Bucs open with Dallas. We will see how good they are by that game. In preseason the offense looked so-so, the defense looked very good.

For the reasons Jauron cited in his PC, it contradicts his overnight change of heart. When you fire someone, they have been doing things to unnerve you for some time or they did something drastic to unnerve you quickly. Jauron waiting until after the Detroit game where he knew there would be no starters? Weird.

If the timing that Jauron gives is accurate and Schonerts account of the ongoing friction is accurate, it could have been something that happened between the two of them on Thursday, before the game, that was the last straw. It could have already been decided to not play the starters, or it could have been a last minute thing. If you're the coach, and you've just made up your mind on this but haven't had the time to act on it, you probably make up some excuse like the starters aren't playing to keep from injury, which in TE's case might prevent him from coming further unglued. You also have to get through the last meaningless game, and need someone to be your OC. Putting AVP in there last minute without preparation and having him fail would have done nothing for him. Also, if the decision was made Thursday, doing it before the game and dealing with the media circus instead of focusing on player evaluation for Saturday's cutdown would have been counterproductive.

I'm with Sisyphean Bills on this one. After reading all of the comments and articles over the past couple of days, it appears to me Jauron simply saw the window already closing on the season and an OC he couldn't communicate with. Whether Ralph wanted Schonert fired or not, there is no identifiable reason NOT to believe Jauron initiated the discussion with Ralph and obtained his "approval" for making the switch. Ralph calling the Saturday meeting to get all faces together in one room supports that notion.

It may well have been the Detroit game, how it was called, things said, expectations not being met, insubordination. No question the timing was bad, but if the situation was continuing to fester (Schonert basically confirmed that it did) then it was inevitable.

I think this is more to the point. Our offense has been non-existant since the Denver game last year. No one had any faith that things were changing -just a lot of hope. SOMETHING had to change, and quickly, lest the season be lost from the get-go. Because if the season is lost, so is Jauron and his entire staff. Not very likely anyone new coming in will say " this is a good team. We're just gonna tweak it a little and we'll compete".

Through the fog of insanity, I'm feeling a little better about our prospects.

..could be indigestion.. :thumbsup: