Andre Smith out Indefinitely

WildBills

good thing we didn't get to pick andre smith. he's already ****ting the bed. what a waste of money. watching that hard knocks show on HBO. i feel bad for the bungles. i am truly glad we picked maybin. can't wait to see what he can do on thursday.

First-round pick Andre Smith is out indefinitely after fracturing his foot in a non-contact drill at Bengals practice Tuesday.

Smith clearly wasn't in football shape when he signed his $42M rookie deal on Sunday. He, and the Bengals, are paying for it now. Coach Marvin Lewis would only say that Smith is out for "a few weeks" and confirmed he won't need surgery, but it's another setback to Smith's first-year development. Anthony Collins will likely end up starting at right tackle all season. Sep. 1 - 5:28 pm etS

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just amazing! The foot fracture is likely just a freak thing, but this kid has had 'issues' all along. He looked like a slob at the combine and he evidently did nothing to improve himself. That the SEC features so many great football players, and he was considered the best OT, is mind boggling to me that he can't/won't assure himself of achieving everything he can in an NFL career.

"Smith clearly wasn't in football shape when he signed his $42M rookie deal on Sunday"

IF ever there appeared to be a complete bust, it's this guy.

This is just amazing! The foot fracture is likely just a freak thing, but this kid has had 'issues' all along. He looked like a slob at the combine and he evidently did nothing to improve himself. That the SEC features so many great football players, and he was considered the best OT, is mind boggling to me that he can't/won't assure himself of achieving everything he can in an NFL career.

"Smith clearly wasn't in football shape when he signed his $42M rookie deal on Sunday"

This tells me he had people (including agent) advising him that he's the greatest OT that ever lived, so he didn't need to improve. Karma is something, isn't it, Andre?

good thing we didn't get to pick andre smith. he's already ****ting the bed. what a waste of money. watching that hard knocks show on HBO. i feel bad for the bungles. i am truly glad we picked maybin. can't wait to see what he can do on thursday.

First-round pick Andre Smith is out indefinitely after fracturing his foot in a non-contact drill at Bengals practice Tuesday.

Smith clearly wasn't in football shape when he signed his $42M rookie deal on Sunday. He, and the Bengals, are paying for it now. Coach Marvin Lewis would only say that Smith is out for "a few weeks" and confirmed he won't need surgery, but it's another setback to Smith's first-year development. Anthony Collins will likely end up starting at right tackle all season. Sep. 1 - 5:28 pm etS

Thank you Mike Brown, not only have you ended up NOT being a "chip off the old block", after your Dad brought NFL football to Cincinnati in the mid 60's as a coaching legend, you continue to make Ralph and his organization shine in comparison. By the way, NFL experts, scouts, gurus and talking heads were warning teams to stay away from Andre Smith as far back as last January. I certainly feel no sympathy for the Bengals on this one. They can only hope that Smith takes this injury seriously and does a Bruce Smith like turn around towards hard work, nutrition and pride in himself, or he will walk straight into the Mike Williams Hall of Shame. Of couse, the Redskins will most likely trade for him or pick him up if the Bengals give up on him anyway. :w00t::doh::nana::sick:

Way way way way too early to say he's a bust.

But it certainly looks as if his first season may be a washout.

To be fair, no one could have predicted that he'd break his foot. And the contract stuff was more a function of the Raiders screwing everyone by offering that stupid contract to Heyward-Bey.

normally id say that you cant predict a player would have the same injury on another team. like Crowell in Tampa for example, who got hurt in a drill. Its impossible to say, and highly unlikely, that he would have had the same injury if he stayed on the Bills.

HOWEVER, since Smith fractured his foot in a no-contact walk through, you have to assume this would have happened no matter where he was.

youre right that nobady could have predicted it, but some certainly could have seen it coming with his sloppy, out of shape, body.

i have a feeling that on this one, had the Bills (or anyone else) drafted him, theyd be dealing with the same mess.

normally id say that you cant predict a player would have the same injury on another team. like Crowell in Tampa for example, who got hurt in a drill. Its impossible to say, and highly unlikely, that he would have had the same injury if he stayed on the Bills.

HOWEVER, since Smith fractured his foot in a no-contact walk through, you have to assume this would have happened no matter where he was.

youre right that nobady could have predicted it, but some certainly could have seen it coming with his sloppy, out of shape, body.

i have a feeling that on this one, had the Bills (or anyone else) drafted him, theyd be dealing with the same mess.

I agree that the injury could have happened if he were on any team in the NFL. But the Bungles couldn't have known it would happen. And you're right there were other red flags that should have prompted them to pass on him.

To be fair, no one could have predicted that he'd break his foot. And the contract stuff was more a function of the Raiders screwing everyone by offering that stupid contract to Heyward-Bey.

I don't know. He probably sat around stuffing his face with cheeseburgers while waiting for his contract. That non-contact drill may have ben his first excercise since Alabama.

PTR

I agree that the injury could have happened if he were on any team in the NFL. But the Bungles couldn't have known it would happen. And you're right there were other red flags that should have prompted them to pass on him.

exactly. no one could out right "predict" it, but it shouldnt be much of a surprise for anyone in-the-know either.

glad we didnt get this slob

I don't know. He probably sat around stuffing his face with cheeseburgers while waiting for his contract. That non-contact drill may have ben his first excercise since Alabama.

PTR

He supposedly reported at 30 pounds over his playing weight. Make of that what you will ...

I wanted to start a thread to report this myself just so I could pre-emptively make fun of anyone saying "thank god the Bills didn't pick him." There's nothing more annoying than when people say that about players on other teams who get injured. Like he was going to break his foot two days into camp with any team that signed him. It's different if he turns out to be a bust, but when a guy gets injured, it is absolutely ridiculous to say "thank god we didn't pick him.

I wanted to start a thread to report this myself just so I could pre-emptively make fun of anyone saying "thank god the Bills didn't pick him." There's nothing more annoying than when people say that about players on other teams who get injured. Like he was going to break his foot two days into camp with any team that signed him. It's different if he turns out to be a bust, but when a guy gets injured, it is absolutely ridiculous to say "thank god we didn't pick him.

true...but i think the implication here is the guy was considered a kook before the draft, went thru agents more than I change underwear, and people questioned his work ethic and weight way before the draft. Now, he comes in overweight and out of shape, (which could have been predicted) and out of shape and overweight lead to injuries, especially leg and foot injuries.

Now to be fair, his agent is saying a couple of days out... but this just does seem like a bust waiting to happen.

true...but i think the implication here is the guy was considered a kook before the draft, went thru agents more than I change underwear, and people questioned his work ethic and weight way before the draft. Now, he comes in overweight and out of shape, (which could have been predicted) and out of shape and overweight lead to injuries, especially leg and foot injuries.

Now to be fair, his agent is saying a couple of days out... but this just does seem like a bust waiting to happen.

You can't be a bust without playing a down yet. Some of the best players in the league are lazy and have weight problems. We all knew Smith was lazy and fat, and also the best OT in college football. I'll wait to see how he performs on the field before deciding if he's a bust or not. Smith has not done anything out of his character that nobody already expected. This kind of behavior was why he wasn't picked #1 overall. Let's see him play.