When Arab Students Attack!

pdh1

Over 300 Arab student protesters surrounded the table of the local College Republican Club at San Francisco State University, prompting 13 campus police officers to protect the political organization's property and volunteers.

According to columnist Lee Kaplan writing in FrontPage Magazine, the protesters – "Palestinian, Arab, Muslim and radical leftist students" – surrounded the outdoor table the morning after President Bush's re-election victory, when the Republican activists had hoped to recruit more members.

"The police officers were forced to surround the CR's table both in front and in back in order to protect the conservative students' safety," Kaplan wrote.

The protesters were members of the General Union of Palestinian Students.

Two days earlier, Arab students confronted members of the Republican club who were distributing Bush-Cheney flyers on campus, with one woman reportedly slapping one of the conservative students. The columnist says the Republicans were accused of the "murder of Palestinian babies" due to their support for Bush.

Wrote Kaplan:

"Lee Wolf, another College Republicans member, described one of the women on Monday as shouting, 'The only way we can defeat you is to kill as many as possible! I'd rather die a suicide bomber's death than to call myself an American!' He continued, 'In my opinion, these were terrorist threats.'"

According to the report, the Arab protesters have called for the Republican club to be banned from campus. Flyers were even distributed at the university that said: "Don't Let the College Republicans Commit Racism and Bigotry Against Arab Women."

Chris Finarelli, vice president of the club described the protesters at Wednesday's disturbance.

"They were all around us wearing black and white kafiyahs like Arafat wears," he said.

"We don't even deal with the Israel/Palestinian dispute that much in our discussions and materials," CR member Derek Wray told Kaplan. "We don't even have any Jewish members as far as I know, although we do promote a conservative political agenda.

"We're going to the police again to ask for protection. They say they're going to have another demonstration and drive us off campus."

Over 300 Arab student protesters surrounded the table of the local College Republican Club at San Francisco State University, prompting 13 campus police officers to protect the political organization's property and volunteers.

According to columnist Lee Kaplan writing in FrontPage Magazine, the protesters – "Palestinian, Arab, Muslim and radical leftist students" – surrounded the outdoor table the morning after President Bush's re-election victory, when the Republican activists had hoped to recruit more members.

"The police officers were forced to surround the CR's table both in front and in back in order to protect the conservative students' safety," Kaplan wrote.

Two days earlier, Arab students confronted members of the Republican club who were distributing Bush-Cheney flyers on campus, with one woman reportedly slapping one of the conservative students. The columnist says the Republicans were accused of the "murder of Palestinian babies" due to their support for Bush.

Wrote Kaplan:

"Lee Wolf, another College Republicans member, described one of the women on Monday as shouting, 'The only way we can defeat you is to kill as many as possible! I'd rather die a suicide bomber's death than to call myself an American!' He continued, 'In my opinion, these were terrorist threats.'"

According to the report, the Arab protesters have called for the Republican club to be banned from campus. Flyers were even distributed at the university that said: "Don't Let the College Republicans Commit Racism and Bigotry Against Arab Women."

Chris Finarelli, vice president of the club described the protesters at Wednesday's disturbance.

"They were all around us wearing black and white kafiyahs like Arafat wears," he said.

"We don't even deal with the Israel/Palestinian dispute that much in our discussions and materials," CR member Derek Wray told Kaplan. "We don't even have any Jewish members as far as I know, although we do promote a conservative political agenda.

"We're going to the police again to ask for protection. They say they're going to have another demonstration and drive us off campus."

112265[/snapback]

Freedom of speech baby....let it go..your stooge won.

Holy toxic byproducts, Batman!

Far be it from me to defend the poor, underrepresented, and disenfranchised republicans, but this article seems to be more than a little bit slanted, and anyone who's read Frontpage before would hopefully know the politics of this organization.

Much of what's said here is hearsay. I swear I did not hear one word on campus (PS - I WORK at SF State U!!!) nor did I read anything about this in the local newspaper. Apparently, only words were traded and its not surprising the dissenters were not happy with the outcome of the election.

Methinks these dissenters took it a little far if they did say or make the threats they did. If someone was slapped, I'm sure they can press charges. And somehow these poor traumatized young republicans will now be able to move on knowing that there is not a mandate, at least not on this campus. Its also been clear for years that there are many radicals of both sides of the political spectrum on every campus who do not bring any constructive dialog to political discussions.

Unlike us, of course, all of whom agree and are readily swayed by constructive criticism and an open democratic process.

Freedom of speech baby....let it go..your stooge won.

112267[/snapback]

Food for thought....

Image a table of Muslim students sitting at table on campus, handing out reading materials about Islam.

Then a larger group of mostly white students (maybe some who had family killed in Spain or Bahli by suicide bombs) yells at the Muslim students. "Get off campus!", and "I would rather be dead than be a dirty muslim!"

And the groups get more and more violent, and threatens not to stop till the Islamic group is kicked off campus....

Still freedom of speech then?

Food for thought....

Image a table of Muslim students sitting at table on campus, handing out reading materials about Islam.

Then a larger group of mostly white students (maybe some who had family killed in Spain or Bahli by suicide bombs) yells at the Muslim students. "Get off campus!", and "I would rather be dead than be a dirty muslim!"

And the groups get more and more violent, and threatens not to stop till the Islamic group is kicked off campus....

112293[/snapback]

Oh we lost that freedom several years ago.

As Bush said in May, 1999: "There ought to be limits to freedom." So, there's at least one campaign promise he kept.

Food for thought....

112293[/snapback]

well after physical violence you bring in the police...until then...yes freedom of speech

well  after physical violence you bring in the police...until then...yes freedom of speech

112320[/snapback]

Yeah right, they would be lynched live on network tv, and would deserve it. Why not the other way around?

As Bush said in May, 1999:  "There ought to be limits to freedom."  So, there's at least one campaign promise he kept.

112317[/snapback]

Yeah, he is really keep you from speaking your mind.

You forgot: "Necon, flight suite, no blood for oil, patriot act..."

As Bush said in May, 1999:  "There ought to be limits to freedom."  So, there's at least one campaign promise he kept.

112317[/snapback]

With a blank backdrop of the context that quote may have been uttered, he may very well have been right. Do we need to edumacate you on the whole freedom to shout fire in a crowded movie theater?

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the Crusades?

112318[/snapback]

Really. Except for that whole Bubonic Plague thingy that they brought with them when they returned to Western Europe, the Crusades went so well the first couple of times. :P

Bubonic Plague thingy that they brought with them when they returned to Western Europe

112428[/snapback]

Actually, it was Genoese traders returning from Kaffa in the Crimea, which was infected from central Asian tribes (precisely, the Kipchak Khanite under the Mongols) that brought it from the Chinese frontier, where plague was and still is indigenous.

But hey, don't let historical fact get in the way of whatever your point was... :P

Actually, it was Genoese traders returning from Kaffa in the Crimea, which was infected from central Asian tribes (precisely, the Kipchak Khanite under the Mongols) that brought it from the Chinese frontier, where plague was and still is indigenous.

But hey, don't let historical fact get in the way of whatever your point was...  :)

112444[/snapback]

How the hell do you know all of this stevestojan?!?! :P:D

How the hell do you know all of this stevestojan?!?!  :P  :D

112447[/snapback]

I've studied, informally, the plague (the germ moreso than the pandemic) and Mongol military history (which includes the conquest of China and - much later - the siege of Kaffa). In all honesty, I had to pick up a book and verify it was Genoese traders...I'd originally typed "Venetian". The Venetians were at Kaffa (which was a Genoese trading post), but in support of the Kipchak tribes against the Genoese.

As an aside...The Black Death actually spread over the Silk Road, which at the time existed as a trade route exclusively because of the stability Mongol conquest introduced through Central Asia (and which ran straight through northern Afghanistan). Had the Mongols never overrun Central Asia...no European-Chinese trade. Since they did...the Black Death. Even historically, Central Asian issues have had global impact.

But hey, don't let historical fact get in the way of whatever your point was...  :)

112444[/snapback]

Point? :D

I had to double check, but I see you were right. I think I had my wires crossed a bit since so many Crusaders did die from it. Oh well, not the first time I was wrong. :P

Wrote Kaplan:

112265[/snapback]

There are alot of funny statements in this report from the protestors.

Now if I followed it correctly the Arab/Muslim demonstrators were protesting that the Republicans are bigots and racists against Palestinian woman?

What a joke, maybe they should go to a muslim country and start protesting and trying to vote and enjoying the freedoms they have here. They maybe in for a rude awakening about who really despises and mistreats who.

And in that vein, if they would never want to call themselves American's why do they come here for an education and live here? Go back to your mud hut or tent or whatever and live happily. No one is forcing them to stay here?

Stuff like that just chaps my hyde. I think those Repub. students should carry baseball bats for protection, if threatened physically take appropriate action.

Batter's up !

I've studied, informally, the plague (the germ moreso than the pandemic) and Mongol military history (which includes the conquest of China and - much later - the siege of Kaffa).  In all honesty, I had to pick up a book and verify it was Genoese traders...I'd originally typed "Venetian".  The Venetians were at Kaffa (which was a Genoese trading post), but in support of the Kipchak tribes against the Genoese.

As an aside...The Black Death actually spread over the Silk Road, which at the time existed as a trade route exclusively because of the stability Mongol conquest introduced through Central Asia (and which ran straight through northern Afghanistan).  Had the Mongols never overrun Central Asia...no European-Chinese trade.  Since they did...the Black Death.  Even historically, Central Asian issues have had global impact.

112458[/snapback]

you are a sick, sick man.

you are a sick, sick man.

112598[/snapback]

Be glad I didn't go from that into the details of the global impact of the Clinton administration's complete ignorance of Central Asian issues..."We want Central Asian oil, Taliban good! No, wait...we hate birkas, Taliban bad!"

Be glad I didn't go from that into the details of the global impact of the Clinton administration's complete ignorance of Central Asian issues..."We want Central Asian oil, Taliban good!  No, wait...we hate birkas, Taliban bad!"

112899[/snapback]

BTW, din din Sunday? Or is that past your bedtime? I told Melody it's my turn to cook.

BTW, din din Sunday? Or is that past your bedtime? I told Melody it's my turn to cook.

112928[/snapback]

Been sick as a dog all week (103 fever Monday and Tuesday), it's kept me from working - and meeting a deadline. (It's still keeping me from talking - I've got terrible laryngitis. Melody's thrilled. :doh: )

So the short version is: I'm probably working. But she's the boss...you really have to ask her.

Been sick as a dog all week (103 fever Monday and Tuesday), it's kept me from working - and meeting a deadline.  (It's still keeping me from talking - I've got terrible laryngitis.  Melody's thrilled.  :doh: )

So the short version is: I'm probably working.  But she's the boss...you really have to ask her.

112933[/snapback]

"It's" been going around. Whatever it is. I had it a couple weeks ago. So, you are going to work at 8:30 Sunday night instead of watch the Buffalo-New England game.

Uh Huh.

See you at 7?

But hey, don't let historical fact get in the way of whatever your point was... 

112444[/snapback]

JennJiss Khan strikes again.

:lol::lol::D:P:D

Been sick as a dog all week (103 fever Monday and Tuesday), it's kept me from working - and meeting a deadline.  (It's still keeping me from talking - I've got terrible laryngitis.  Melody's thrilled.   :P )

So the short version is: I'm probably working.  But she's the boss...you really have to ask her.

112933[/snapback]

Now if the laryngitis could only spread to your fingers. :lol:

No if the laryngitis could only spread to your fingers.  :P

113417[/snapback]

Actually I'm home "sick" today. Had an angiogram yesterday. Arteries are all clear! Doctor said that looked great! So BiB, pass the fatty sausage, pate and foie gras. I'm loading up for the winter! Now if we can only figure out what's causing these damn palpitations. :lol: