Here Are Teams That MAY Need QBs Next Year

What do you know about the Bucs? I would guess NOTHING. They have a better coaching staff than the Bills, a better O-line, & better defense than the Bills. I think the Bucs finish 8-8. We shall see about the Bills.

Their defense is not better than ours. They've lost a lot. They're starting guys like Jimmy Wilkerson, Ryan Simms, Chris Hovan, (which are all on their defensive line), 2 starting linebackers are Quincy Black and Jermain Phillips (a friggin safety), with Sabby Piscatelli starting at SS.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dolphins

Browns

Jags

Broncos

Chiefs

Redskins

Vikings

Panthers

Bucs

Rams

Bills

Out of these teams, which do you think will finish worse than the Bills? I would say Dolphins, Browns, Jags, Chiefs and maybe Rams and Tampa (Depending on our home opener). Now, I really am hoping for the best this season but i am having a hard time getting past our coaching staff and GM (or lack there of).

How many top flight QBs are coming out of the draft this year (I pray this won't even be a concern in 20 weeks). I'm just sayin'....if there is a new coaching staff and Edwards does not pull through this, it is very possible that QB could be taken with a top 10 pick. What would the best options be and who would you hope for?

The verdict is still out on Edwards so this is just something to get the wheels turning until season starts

This is a bad supposition - if the Bills finish better than 5 or 6 of the teams that need QBs, they probably will nto be looking for a QB. If Edwards is good enough to at least keep us out of the bottom 12 or 15, they won't draft a QB high unless the new coach really doesn't like something about him. I guess it's possible that we finish 15th due entirely to our defense and special teams, while the offense is atrocious, but I doubt that.

Their defense is not better than ours. They've lost a lot. They're starting guys like Jimmy Wilkerson, Ryan Simms, Chris Hovan, (which are all on their defensive line), 2 starting linebackers are Quincy Black and Jermain Phillips (a friggin safety), with Sabby Piscatelli starting at SS.

Yes, and if you watched them play they are all FAST (except Hovan who is a beast). They will play an aggressive Jim Bates defense while the Bills are still using the Tampa 2. The Bucs looked much better against the Titans than the Bills did.

Yes, and if you watched them play they are all FAST (except Hovan who is a beast). They will play an aggressive Jim Bates defense while the Bills are still using the Tampa 2. The Bucs looked much better against the Titans than the Bills did.

You're dead on about the Buccs. I get a lot of their coverage up here in Tally. They aren't going to be the 4-win team many are predicting. They wont be a serious playoff threat, but 8-8 would not surprise me at all. I wouldn't be shocked if they beat us in week 2.

for the other poster - Phillips is going to be playing both SS and OLB. He'll start the season at SS since Tanard Jackson is suspended. And Hovan has been starting on that line for a couple years now and has been a solid contributor.

I take it all back. If they looked better in the pre-season against Tennessee than the Bills did, then I'm sure they'll be good. Sorry about that. And as far as what I know about the Bucs- where do you want me to start? Steve Spurrier, Steve DeBerg, Kevin House, LeRoy Selmon, Ricky Bell, Jimmie Giles, Vinny Testaverde, Craig Erickson, Reggie Cobb, Mark Carrier, Donald Iguwebeke (sp?), James Wilder, Paul Gruber- if you ask me, they should go back to the orange and red.

The problem with your list is not one of those teams believe they need a new QB. Everyone of those teams THINK they have the answer on their roster TODAY!

You will need another list after the season. :o

Which is exactly why I stated "for arguments sake" in the beginning. There are going to be 3 top flight QBs going within the first 15 picks and I am trying to figure out if the Bills will be in position to grab one of the top 2 if need be.

If the cynicism were based on only a few preseason games, it would be silly but the truth is, there is a lot more to base our worries on than these glorified scrimmages. Our pessismism is also based on the reality of how they finished the season last year, the reality that they are taking no less than 5 gambles on the offensive line and that their top pick missed all of camp. Add in the departure of Peters and Marshawn's suspension and there are plenty of reasons for people to be legitimately worried about this year. The preseason games could have helped to calm those fears but instead, they have exacerbated them.

Certainly, you can spin each one of those factors into something positive but just as certainly, reasonable minds can legitimately cite them as a rational basis for being very concerned that this simply is not our year. So please don't characterize everyone who sees this as something other than a playoff year as being negative nancys or nervous nellies foolishly overreacting to the preseason games.

You don't have to agree that this will be a difficult year but allow us the courtesy to disagree without being insulted by our fellow fans. Perhaps you have never, in the history of being a fan of this team, expressed concern about a player, a coach or a front office decision but if you have, you should understand the current view by many that, though we hope otherwise, this is more likely to be a tough year than a playoff year.

Very good post....and this isn't coming from someone who is negative on the board. I'm typically of the mindset that I hope for the best, and can definitely see the possibility of good things happening each year, but with respect to this year, I think it's reasonable to say that we aren't a playoff team this year, based on our schedule and our team. I do however think it's POSSIBLE we surprise some people and snatch up a wild card spot, and I will certainly hope for that to happen. Moral of the story: Mickey's post makes a lot of sense, and is very reasonable. Nicely done.

i'm talking about hte bengals here, you know that, right?

They need help at the O-line, they have probably one of the bottom 5 lines in the league even assuming Andre Smith shows up to play, they need a RB...Cedric Benson is not going to pan out. Depending on if Chad Johnson can return to form, they may need to invest in a WR, because both Johhnson and Coles are getting old.

That's just on the offense. On Defense they have as much or more of a problem getting to the QB than the Bills do.

They ranked #12 in overall defense last season, despite losing both starting DEs and 2 starting LBs. Some backfield players along the way. And playing the 2nd toughest SOS at season start. Few sacks, true. Squared off against NE* last Thursday. Dumped Tommie twice, and without Palmer, eked out a 7 - 6 win, without the services of their kicker. DC Zimmer late of DAL has made a point of getting a lot of game snaps for 3rd round DE Michael Jackson, and seems determined to get 2nd pick Mulugela into a starting MLB spot. Tough task - Dhani Jones has given good service since he was picked up in the 1st third of '07

Coles and Johnson are 30. What is TO's age? Dinko seems to have wised up and has finally figured out that he's not going to be traded, and as far as ps play goes, has torn it up.

How do you know Benson won't pan out? He was a mid-season acquisition and did well. Check out his college rah-rah videos - no doubt why CHI tapped him as #4 overall in '05.

OL? sure. It's jumbled up - but give them credit unlike BUF for not farting around with chronic no-huddle/shotgun formations when they are trying to work out a starting OL.

And ask most everybody here about my opinion of the B'gals owner and franchise...

It's wasting effort to ridicule the opposition - it's just triumphalism.

Sorry if I've been harsh, my friend...

I take it all back. If they looked better in the pre-season against Tennessee than the Bills did, then I'm sure they'll be good. Sorry about that. And as far as what I know about the Bucs- where do you want me to start? Steve Spurrier, Steve DeBerg, Kevin House, LeRoy Selmon, Ricky Bell, Jimmie Giles, Vinny Testaverde, Craig Erickson, Reggie Cobb, Mark Carrier, Donald Iguwebeke (sp?), James Wilder, Paul Gruber- if you ask me, they should go back to the orange and red.

They will be wearing the throwback Creamsicles for 2 games this year. :lol:

They ranked #12 in overall defense last season, despite losing both starting DEs and 2 starting LBs. Some backfield players along the way. And playing the 2nd toughest SOS at season start. Few sacks, true. Squared off against NE* last Thursday. Dumped Tommie twice, and without Palmer, eked out a 7 - 6 win, without the services of their kicker. DC Zimmer late of DAL has made a point of getting a lot of game snaps for 3rd round DE Michael Jackson, and seems determined to get 2nd pick Mulugela into a starting MLB spot. Tough task - Dhani Jones has given good service since he was picked up in the 1st third of '07

Coles and Johnson are 30. What is TO's age? Dinko seems to have wised up and has finally figured out that he's not going to be traded, and as far as ps play goes, has torn it up.

How do you know Benson won't pan out? He was a mid-season acquisition and did well. Check out his college rah-rah videos - no doubt why CHI tapped him as #4 overall in '05.

OL? sure. It's jumbled up - but give them credit unlike BUF for not farting around with chronic no-huddle/shotgun formations when they are trying to work out a starting OL.

And ask most everybody here about my opinion of the B'gals owner and franchise...

It's wasting effort to ridicule the opposition - it's just triumphalism.

Sorry if I've been harsh, my friend...

You haven't been harsh, but you haven't refuted anything... I haven't rididculed anyone, saying there are 8 positions where the bengals need help before QB is far from ridicule...you're just emotionally invested witih the bengals and can't see their flaws

Benson will show why he was let go in the first place, particularly running behind that line.

Coles has definitely lost a step, and Johnson has to turn it around this year or he's nothing more than a scrap heap part

The bengals had fewer sacks last year than the bills, and the bills were the #14 defense in the league. There's nobody anywhere that would say that that represents a complete defensive squad. Carson Palmer is a very good QB playing behind a very bad Offensive line. You could have johnny unitas behind that line and it wouldn't matter. I will bet you any amount you want that the Bengals will not be drafting a QB of the future barring another season ending injury to carson.

They will be wearing the throwback Creamsicles for 2 games this year. :lol:

Oh my God. Dude I was hoping they'd bust em out on Thanksgiving a couple years ago, but they pussed out. November 8th vs. the Packers, it's on... When I was a kid in the 80's, my two favorite teams were the Bucs and the Canucks because of their uniforms and now everyone says those are like the two worst uniforms ever. To this day I wholeheartedly disagree

http://www.everyjoe.com/emqb/tag/tampa-bay-bucs-throwbacks/

Dolphins? No. They are very impressed with Chad Henne, enough so that he's created a short leash for Pennington.

Browns? Maybe, but I believe Quinn shows enough to get some good faith from the organinzation, for another year.

Jags? Yes. I never thought Gerrard was that good and believe they'll be looking QB this year.

Broncos? Yes. Orton is not the long term answer. They will be ticked in Denver.

Chiefs? NO!!!!! They just gave MILLIONS to Cassell. He will be "their guy" for atleast the next 3 years.

Redskins? Yes. Campbell, Collins, and Colt Brennan = mediocre

Vikings? Yes. I think they should've stuck with Jackson. Reminds me alot of how JP was handled in Buffalo.

Panthers? No. If they gave Delhomme all that money after his performance in the playoffs he's cemented.

Bucs? No. They just spent a 1st round pick on Freeman.

Rams? Yes. I think Bulger's days are numbered.

Bills? Maybe. If Trent doesn't get it done this year then yes. If he shows growth at the position then no.

Bradford, McCoy, Tebow, and Snead will all be very tempting in the 1st round of the '10 draft.

Snead will be the first QB to go IMO.

There will be 2 DT's in the top handful of picks who will be veeeeery tough to pass up.

edit: I do have high hopes for this season. However, my gut tells me there is a greater chance the wheels fall off this season than the chance they make the playoffs.

Oh my God. Dude I was hoping they'd bust em out on Thanksgiving a couple years ago, but they pussed out. November 8th vs. the Packers, it's on... When I was a kid in the 80's, my two favorite teams were the Bucs and the Canucks because of their uniforms and now everyone says those are like the two worst uniforms ever. To this day I wholeheartedly disagree

http://www.everyjoe.com/emqb/tag/tampa-bay-bucs-throwbacks/

I agree on the Bucs. I also reeeeealllly like the old school Pats and get really confused when people say they were so ugly compared to the flying elvis head uniforms.

I agree on the Bucs. I also reeeeealllly like the old school Pats and get really confused when people say they were so ugly compared to the flying elvis head uniforms.

Yeah, I agree also especially about the Pats* I also like the Bills throwbacks much better than their new uniforms.

I think I have my eye on McCoy. I was thinking Tebow was the wildcard here. Aren't many people saying that he is the big question mark for NFL ready play. Either way, I will be watching QBs very closely this year on the college level.

The bills would be better served in paying for a coaching staff than paying for a rookie QB guaranteed 40M by picking first...If the Bills do have the top 3 picks, I hope they spend it on OL or DT.

Who said anything about preseason? As I read in some article Edwards is about as ineffective as you can be for completing all of the passes he does. 11 TDs and 10 INTs last year I think it was. He needs to show some SERIOUS improvement specifically in getting the offense to put TDs on the board until we can say this guy will be our QB in 2010.

There is something about Edwards that he gets the job done....May be if the Bills have a better supporting case in Defense, we will not be talking about Edwards this negatively....

Both Eli Manning and Ben Roethelisberger when they won their first super bowls hardly looked super...In fact the Steelers won XL due to trickery by letting Randal El throw the winning TD to Hines Ward. Edwards is a game manager and I hope the Bills keep him that way and get their wins by playing close...When the Chips are down in the 4th Qtr, Edwards has been outstanding...

The bills would be better served in paying for a coaching staff than paying for a rookie QB guaranteed 40M by picking first...If the Bills do have the top 3 picks, I hope they spend it on OL or DT.

If the Bills do land in the top 5. They will almost certainly pick up a DT who will anchor the line until 2020+. Love the dude from Nebraska and McCoy from Oklahoma

They were 7-9 last year (granted, against an easier schedule than this year appears to be). They have a very young team and lost only one player of any significance (Greer was good, but McKelvin will be better this year). Aside from Peters, the rest of the offensive line could/should be improved. Hangartner should be a marginal upgrade, Wood should be a significant upgrade right away and Brad Butler was pretty good against the run last year and is going back to his natural position. They added TO, which should open things up. Poz looks like did a bunch of steroids in the offseason, which should help him improve. I'm excited about adding something new to the ridiculously stale three-white man DE rotation and I expect Maybin and/or Ellis to contribute this year. OLB is a question mark, but I think Harris will win the job by Week 2. Overall, the defense was already average last year (with zero pass rush) and has another year of experience under their belts. They certainly have one of the better CB groups in all of football. Not to mention the best special teams in all of football. Bottom line is, I live in Denver and the original post basically grouped the Bills in the same category as the Broncos and that's simply not being objective. The Broncos had an historically bad defense last year and now, are in complete and utter disarray on offense as well. Maybe if people didn't live in a Bills bubble all the time, they would realize that, especially in this era of FA, every team has question marks and isn't locked and loaded at every position. Dude, the Bucs are gonna absolutely suck this year. Peace I'm outta here.

I'll give you that the Broncos and Bucs will suck this year. The problem is Jauron sucks too. He is absolutely inept in making gameday decisions and utilizing timeouts which will cost the Bills at least one game perhaps more. Edwards regressed last year as the season progressed. What has he done to instill absolute confidence in him as the # 1 QB? He can't stay healthy ( not necessarily all his fault), doesn't have the strongest arm, isn't terribly mobile, I believe a .500 record (10-10), checks down too early at times, and the Bills only invested a 3rd round pick in him.

This upcoming season is a big year for Edwards. I hope he has a great year but if it is more of the same then why not draft a first round QB? A little competition at QB is probably the way to go if Edwards doesn't deliver this year.