RIP Ted Kennedy

Buftex

precisely. I was in Biloxi Miss. the day Martin Luther King Jr. was killed. Some of these posts remind me of the comments I heard down there that day. :unsure:

That's an awful comparison. Ted Kennedy had a hand in passing a lot of legislation. Excellent. That doesn't change the fact that he wasn't exactly a solid person himself. Martin Luther King Jr. was a great leader in his life's work, the civil rights movement. The difference - MLK was, by all accounts, just as great of a person himself as well.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice you didn't try to discredit the Washington Times excerpt.

I have an 11:30 meeting with a retired judge who gets cranky when I'm late, so don't have time for this nonsense right now - will cite another 20 or so authors later, so you can spend the rest of the evening discrediting them. :unsure:

Given your posts, I'm surprised the judge isn't grateful when you're late.

I'm looking forward to your cast of characters and erudite historians given the tenor of your first reference

precisely. I was in Biloxi Miss. the day Martin Luther King Jr. was killed. Some of these posts remind me of the comments I heard down there that day. :P

Yes, I'm sure the reaction in the deep south to MLK's death is exactly like what's happening here. Gimmie a friggin break.

Post of the day right here:

Call me a cynic, jerk, a**hole, whatever, but it bothers me how much ball washing goes on for someone like TK when they pass away. RIP, but the guy (IMO) was arrogant, pompous, self-serving, stubborn, and in general not that good of a person at all for much of the time when he lived, so that's exactly how I'm going to dictate how I react to his passing away. I'd much rather pay more attention and respect to good people losing their lives rather than Ted Kennedy or Michael Jackson types. I guess that's just not as interesting, though. :unsure:

Amen.

Don't see how you can be confused with Sage's post. While certainly a flawed human, Ted was a terrific Senator and a man devoted to public service.

RIP, Ted.

"what the American public doesn't know, is what makes them the American public". - Ray Zalinski

It might be just me, but I don't think he gave a flying schitt about public service. He was more concerned with the title of Senator and the sense of entitlement all the other scumbag Kennedys think they have when it comes to American politics.

That's an awful comparison. Ted Kennedy had a hand in passing a lot of legislation. Excellent. That doesn't change the fact that he wasn't exactly a solid person himself. Martin Luther King Jr. was a great leader in his life's work, the civil rights movement. The difference - MLK was, by all accounts, just as great of a person himself as well.

now i am a HUGE MLK fan, and don't get me wrong. He was in my opinion one of the great men of the twentieth century. However he had a serial adultery problem. He wasn't as bad in that dept. as Ted Kennedy. but you should have heard the folks in Biloxi. Kind of like some on this board!

did he ever kill anyone?

now i am a HUGE MLK fan, and don't get me wrong. He was in my opinion one of the great men of the twentieth century. However he had a serial adultery problem. He wasn't as bad in that dept. as Ted Kennedy. but you should have heard the folks in Biloxi. Kind of like some on this board!

Just a guess, but that was probably because the people reacting in the deep south were both racist and pro-segregation. Possibly extremely on both accounts depending on the person. There's no wide dividing movement or happening behind peoples disdain of Ted Kennedy like the civil rights battle with MLK.

WTF does she have to do anything with the discussion at hand.....why pick Laura Bush...why not pick Joe Blow from Idaho who also was involved in a car accident....oh, is it because of her political affiliations??????

He 'allegedly' drove drunk and a passenger in his car was found dead the next day...probably shortly after he decided to report the accident.....'allegedly' 10 or more hours after it happened.....he killed Mary Jo Kopechne....although like I keep asking people....will you be paying respect to OJ when his time is up? after all, he was found not guilty in a court of law...so its not like he killed anyone

You mean like Laura Bush?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/laura.asp

kill means generally to put to death knowingly or intentionally. Don't think Kennedy "killed" anyone either. And I'm willing to give Laura the benefit of the doubt as well.

You mean like Laura Bush?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/laura.asp

kill means generally to put to death knowingly or intentionally. Don't think Kennedy "killed" anyone either. And I'm willing to give Laura the benefit of the doubt as well.

I suggest you pick up a copy of this book. I just finished it and found it to be very interesting. I wonder if it will change your opinion of some of your heroes.

http://www.amazon.com/Presidents-Secret-Se...1524&sr=8-1

WTF does she have to do anything with the discussion at hand.....why pick Laura Bush...why not pick Joe Blow from Idaho who also was involved in a car accident....oh, is it because of her political affiliations??????

He 'allegedly' drove drunk and a passenger in his car was found dead the next day...probably shortly after he decided to report the accident.....'allegedly' 10 or more hours after it happened.....he killed Mary Jo Kopechne....although like I keep asking people....will you be paying respect to OJ when his time is up? after all, he was found not guilty in a court of law...so its not like he killed anyone

Do you understand "intentionality"? Do you think Kennedy and OJ situations are comparable?

Have you ever driven under the influence? I know many here have. One in particular, who loves to attack Ted for his Chappaquiddick incident, has several alcohol-related problems himself. So, are you (or the poster to remain nameless) really just a killer, who got lucky by managing to avoid a fatal accident?

Yes, I understand people make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes have grave consequences. I still pay respect to those people when they die, particularly when they have given as much to country as Teddy has.

Do you understand "intentionality"? Do you think Kennedy and OJ situations are comparable?

Have you ever driven under the influence? I know many here have. One in particular, who loves to attack Ted for his Chappaquiddick incident, has several alcohol-related problems himself. So, are you (or the poster to remain nameless) really just a killer, who got lucky by managing to avoid a fatal accident?

Yes, I understand people make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes have grave consequences. I still pay respect to those people when they die, particularly when they have given as much to country as Teddy has.

Well said. :o