Best College Football Coach

Magox

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which College Football Coach would you build your program around?

• Urban Meyer
    • Pete Carroll
    • Mack Brown
    • Mike Leach
    • Nick Saban
    • other

Which College Football Coach would you build your program around?

So many good college football coaches out there. Personally, I'd build my program around Pete Carroll, as much as I'd hate to admit it. Great offenses and defenses, and has a pro style game, which I think better prepares his players to go tot he pro's.

I voted "Other" as I did not see Doug Marrone's name on the list :rolleyes:

Which College Football Coach would you build your program around?

So many good college football coaches out there. Personally, I'd build my program around Pete Carroll, as much as I'd hate to admit it. Great offenses and defenses, and has a pro style game, which I think better prepares his players to go tot he pro's.

The most important part of a college coach's job is recruiting, so I'll go with Pete Carroll. The talent he brings into USC year after year is remarkable. And he gets results.

btw, this is another reason why LA isn't interested in an NFL team. They already have USC.

The most important part of a college coach's job is recruiting, so I'll go with Pete Carroll. The talent he brings into USC year after year is remarkable. And he gets results.

btw, this is another reason why LA isn't interested in an NFL team. They already have USC.

And, by extension, the USC song girls.

http://www.trojanwire.com/football/song%20g%20mon%20726.jpg

I agree that recruiting is a big deal, and Carroll is the best at it. But with the amount of talent he has at the school, he should have that school in the title game every other year. The fact that they lose a game they should win just about every year knocks him down a big notch to me.

It's tought to pick the best coach, given the difference in program size and talent available. Coaches I like:

I'd agree that Kelly is making a name for himself.

I like what Gill's doing, but he'll need to be with a better team to really judge him against the big boys.

I'm very interested to see if Paul Johnson can make his system work at GT.

I despise the guy, but Saban has to be one of the best.

You have to like what Chris Peterson does out in Boise.

Nothing against Carroll, who runs a great program, but USC's budget, history, tradition, and the geography and pure pulchritude of SoCal (as exemplified by the Song Girls) are certainly BIG pluses when it comes to recruiting - just as FSU's Bobby Bowden benefits by big-breasted beauties known as...

FSU Cowgirls

I can't even imagine how invincible - given those ass-ettes - a coach could be if he was good as, oh, let's see....maybe...

Nothing against Carroll, who runs a great program, but USC's budget, history, tradition, and the geography and pure pulchritude of SoCal (as exemplified by the Song Girls) are certainly BIG pluses when it comes to recruiting - just as FSU's Bobby Bowden benefits by big-breasted beauties known as...

FSU Cowgirls

I can't even imagine how invincible - given those ass-ettes - a coach could be if he was good as, oh, let's see....maybe...

Yeah, as far as football goes, there's really no history, tradition or talent in Texas.

I agree that recruiting is a big deal, and Carroll is the best at it. But with the amount of talent he has at the school, he should have that school in the title game every other year. The fact that they lose a game they should win just about every year knocks him down a big notch to me.

I hate USC more than anyone, but you can't deny Carroll's success. After a mediocre first year, he's had 7 seasons with a total of 9 loses, 7 conference titles, 7 BCS games, and finished the year ranked no lower than 4th. That's pretty friggin good.

I hate USC more than anyone, but you can't deny Carroll's success. After a mediocre first year, he's had 7 seasons with a total of 9 loses, 7 conference titles, 7 BCS games, and finished the year ranked no lower than 4th. That's pretty friggin good.

It is, and I'm not knocking the guy...too much, anyway. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, I just wouldn't call him the best. He plays in a weak conference (The Pac-10 can generally offer up one other top contending team a year), and the talent level at USC destroys everyone else. There's a handful of teams in all of college football that should even be able to give them a game, and it's not like he has to play them all every year. USC should win the conference every year, which because of the Rose Bowl gives them an automatic BCS game (not to mention a good shot at winning due to the inconsistency of the Big 10). I will give him credit for doing very well in big, out of conference match-ups (including BCS games).

So yes, he's good. But given the talent and depth on that team, he should absolutely dominate, and he just doesn't always do it.

That 'woooossssshhhhhhhhh-ing' sound you hear is the sound of something going right over your head.

(You do know that Leach coaches Texas Tech, right? :rolleyes:)

Ummmm, yes. That's why I said Texas. But now I have no idea what you're talking about.