3/4 to 4/3 and no-huddle

JinWPB

Talking heads revealed Patriots* practicing alot of 4/3 this year.

Question, what offense is more likely to be stopped by the 4/3?

Also they played a lot of no huddle offense.

Question, what team we know tries to play fast and needs to platoon its D-line.

If they play a lot of no huddle, could prove to be an interesting game.

Last year, we had more than enough trouble with the 3-4. Are you suggesting that by chaning their formations / gameplan they're cheating?

Last year, we had more than enough trouble with the 3-4. Are you suggesting that by chaning their formations / gameplan they're cheating?

I think he just means the *Patriots as an organization are a bunch of cheaters, has nothing to do with the formations.

But regarding the original question posed, wouldn't a 3/4 be more effective against a no-huddle attack? I would think you would want less fat guys up front and more linebackers...

They are practicing the 3-4 and the 4-3. They are getting the 4-3 scheme look down so they'll be able to play both at anytime. That will greatly confuse the offense. Not only will you have to prepare for both, but you could potentially see any one of those alignments on any given play. Could put a huge fail on that given play, a drive, or even a whole game if you're constantly guessing wrong. I'll assume they will also be able to disguise the defense at the line of scrimmage, and the QB and o-line won't even be able to tell which defense they are going to play once the ball is snapped.

I think he just means the Patriots as an organization are a bunch of cheaters, has nothing to do with the formations.

But regarding the original question posed, wouldn't a 3/4 be more effective against a no-huddle attack? I would think you would want less fat guys up front and more linebackers...

Asterisk Please.

They are practicing the 3-4 and the 4-3. They are getting the 4-3 scheme look down so they'll be able to play both at anytime. That will greatly confuse the offense. Not only will you have to prepare for both, but you could potentially see any one of those alignments on any given play. Could put a huge fail on that given play, a drive, or even a whole game if you're constantly guessing wrong. I'll assume they will also be able to disguise the defense at the line of scrimmage, and the QB and o-line won't even be able to tell which defense they are going to play once the ball is snapped.

Good offenses do what they will instead of taking what the defense gives you. Enforce your will, don't have it enforced on you.

It will most likely cause confusion on the defense as well, a lot of missed assignments and breakdowns. Otherwise I think we would have seen more teams do this in the past. But we shall see...

Good offenses do what they will instead of taking what the defense gives you. Enforce your will, don't have it enforced on you.

Which is why no teams, especially the Colts or Cheaters*, ever audible at the line of scrimage! :thumbdown:

Which is why no teams, especially the Colts or Cheaters*, ever audible at the line of scrimage! :thumbdown:

When the Colts play, and when the Bills ran the no-huddle during the glory years, they would audible at the LOS. But you better believe the defenses reacted to the what the offense did, by and large, and not the other way around. The offense should always dictate play, IMO.

Let's see they are practicing the 4-3 because it gives them a chance to match up better against us in the regular season. My guess is they just realized the preseason games mean pretty much nothing and they are preparing for the regular season where the games do matter.