Going to Hawaii on Monday for Honeymoon

PTS

Taking the commitment plunge on Saturday and heading off to Hawaii for 16 days starting Monday. Two nights on Oahu, six on Maui and six on Kauai.

There's about a billion sites out there with information overload on what to do. Anyone got any personal experience they'd like to share?

The only definite right now is that we are doing the road to Hana on Maui.

We're staying at the Marriott on Waikiki, the Ritz in Kapalua and the Grand Hyatt in Koloa.

Awesome. Congrats to you and the soon to be Mrs. PTS. :devil:

I went to Hawaii many years ago and did a similar schedule to you (except went to the Big Island instead of Kauai). Two nights on Oahu is plenty. It's a good way to start the trip but you don't get the true flavor of Hawaii until you get out of Honalulu. Of course you need to visit Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona memorial.

One other "must": don't log onto TSW.

Have been there twice...you'll have a great time. Agree with the other posted about Oahu..looks like you have your time split up well. If you can find these at a local bookstore I'd recommend picking up these for Maui & Kauai. They are fantastic...great insight on things to do, restaurants, etc.

http://www.wizardpub.com/Kauai/kauai.html

On Kauai the canyon was amazing...definitely have to make sure you see that.

Are you staying at the Princeville resort on Kauai? I stayed there back in '95. If you keep going north out past the wet caves to the end of the road, there's a hiking trail with some spectacular views. You can hike about 9 miles out to a beach on the other side of the island. I didn't do it, but I've heard from others that it can be cool.

Trivia: On Kauai on the road between Kapaa and Princeville, you'll go by a valley on the western side of the road with a plantation at the bottom. It's a big drop-off. Douglas Kenney, one of the co-writers of Caddyshack (among other things), either fell or jumped to his death there. So, y'know, be careful.

Congrats!

Taking the commitment plunge on Saturday and heading off to Hawaii for 16 days starting Monday. Two nights on Oahu, six on Maui and six on Kauai.

There's about a billion sites out there with information overload on what to do. Anyone got any personal experience they'd like to share?

We're staying at the Marriott on Waikiki, the Ritz in Kapalua and the Grand Hyatt in Koloa.

Did almost the same as you but went to the Big Island instead of Kauai.

Pearl Harbor, obviously. Get there first thing in the morning or you'll sit half the day waiting for your turn. They only hand out a limited # of tickets per day. You renting a car on Oahu? We circled the island after Pearl Harbor. Pali highway > Kamehameha highway. Pali overlook had a great view. Byodo-In temple was interesting, but only stop if you are driving by, don't plan a trip just for that. Sunset beach (awesome plate lunch up there, can't remember the name of the place.) Try a plate lunch somewhere. Shave ice is good too. Dole plantation if you're passing by. There isn't much worth doing there, but I'd fly back to Hawaii just for the pineapple ice cream float I had.

Stay away from route 93 and the west side of the island, that's the local side. While I only had one bad experience with a punk teen local, everyone says they don't want you in their spots. You get a vibe if you pull up somewhere you're not wanted, don't ignore it. Lots of homeless in lesser used beach parks, stick to the big tourist beaches.

On Maui we spent a lot of time on the beach but had two sightseeing days. Haleakala sunrise was awesome (wife was cold). If you go, dress very warm. 40 degrees doesn't sound cold but after a week of high 80's it hits you like -40. Road to Hana was fun on the way down, sucked on the drive back. If I did it again I would take a guided tour. The driver doesn't get a lot of scenery as you must pay attention to the drive. Let the locals pass as soon as you have a pullover, remember they are just living their daily lives. Had a good dinner at Willie Nelson's bar in Paia after the drive.

You staying in west or south maui? Snorkeling black rock (Kaanapali beach) was fun, rented equipment and went there almost every morning. Lahaina to satisfy the wife's shopping. Iao valley was cool, especially after a heavy rain with waterfalls coming off the cliffs. Get some Maui onion rings, another thing I'd fly back just to eat.

Have been there twice...you'll have a great time. Agree with the other posted about Oahu..looks like you have your time split up well. If you can find these at a local bookstore I'd recommend picking up these for Maui & Kauai. They are fantastic...great insight on things to do, restaurants, etc.

http://www.wizardpub.com/Kauai/kauai.html

On Kauai the canyon was amazing...definitely have to make sure you see that.

Be careful with the "revealed" books, there is a lot of criticism of them on the islands. For example, on the road to Hana it tells you to go to the Blue pool, ignoring the fact that you have to park on and cross private property to get to it with very unhappy locals in the area. A lot of talk about it on Tripadvisor.com.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revi...aui_Hawaii.html

I'll throw a couple out there for Maui, We went there about 10 yrs ago.

The road to hana we rented a harley for the ride. if you like to ride it adds to the trip (for me anyway)... Visit black sand beach when you get to hana. this trip will definately be an all day thing. Wouldn't hurt to pack a lunch. picnic at one of the stop offs. a few scenic waterfalls along the way.

look into booking a snorkelling trip to Molokini Crater. lots of tropical fish to view, enjoyable. i'd recommend it.

Luau. plenty of them to get into.

Went to the top of the Haleakala Volcano. they do have downhill bike ride tours from there, we didn't do that but could be fun.

We did a whale watch / dinner cruise, but i am guessing that's out of season.

Have a great time! I've been to Maui twice and the only reason I went was because it was a company trip and paid for. I love the tropics by I was not real crazy about Maui....full of way too many families with kids. Don't get me wrong, if you have kids it's probably a great place. But my wife and I love to get away from the screaming throngs. She tends to dislike people as much as I do...a match made in heaven. :devil:

For your next tropical trip try an island in the Caribbean. Tends to be more couples only and less kids. You can find some real great deals by renting a house. We rented this place for a week for our 25th anniversary. Not much more, or maybe even less than a hotel. The cool thing is if you have good friends or even family these places fit great for that. Reduces the cost greatly and makes for a relatively reasonable vacation.

:devil: Sex , more sex and more sex and all with good wine . If you get to it , try doing a little sight seeing .

My wife and I lived together for a year before we got married so we had a year of that. We waited a year or so after the wedding before we could take your honeymoon seeing we moved to CA and had new jobs. So our honeymoon was not all about the sex.

My wife and I lived together for a year before we got married so we had a year of that. We waited a year or so after the wedding before we could take your honeymoon seeing we moved to CA and had new jobs. So our honeymoon was not all about the sex.

That is the way to do it . That way you can enjoy your honeymoon . :devil:

look into booking a snorkelling trip to Molokini Crater. lots of tropical fish to view, enjoyable. i'd recommend it.

We did that too...took a catamaran out to the snorkling site and drank mai tais all the way home. Fun day.

Had a good dinner on the water in Lahaina. Don't recall the name.

someone has money lol

and someone can't add like 2+6+6=14 lol

but congratz and I hope you have a good trip

sorry I brought no value to this post. I've never been there.......

Actually, it's 2 nights + 6 nights + 6 nights = 15 days.

We get there before 2pm on Monday so it's like an extra day and our flight home is at 9pm.

Are you staying at the Princeville resort on Kauai? I stayed there back in '95.

Princeville is the North part of the Island. We're staying at the Grand Hyatt on the South part.

Actually, it's 2 nights + 6 nights + 6 nights = 15 days.

We get there before 2pm on Monday so it's like an extra day and our flight home is at 9pm.

pretty much what we did 15 years ago. Don't know how much is changed since then.

Kauai is your chance to be active. Bike tours down the mountain, snorkeling on the north side, kayaking, hikes, etc... It's all good.

If the weather sucks - get up and drive 15-20 minutes and find good weather.

There was a beach called the "secret beach" on the north side that was a PIA to find and walk to, but totally worth it. Since it is so out of the way, dress can be VERY casual. cough, cough.

Eat where the locals eat.

We had a nice helicopter ride.

Have a game plan plan before you go so you feel in control of your time there, but don't give a 2nd thought to blowing something off.

as for Maui. The road to Hana was fun, yet annoying. After awhile those hairpin turns get old. Fast. The 7 sacred pools is a tourist hoax. There are some very nice waterfalls at the end though. We also did a submarine ride and did the horsebacking down the middle of the mountain.

In Oahu, since it's your honeymoon, if it were me, I would skip all of the historical stuff, Diamond Head, and Waikiki Beach. There are some sweet beaches on Oahu that most people never visit. Great snorkeling this time of year on the north shore at Sharks Cove. The surfing is sweet at this one beach where only the locals seem to go not far from Ewa (forget the name of the beach)-- head over there later in the afternoon for better waves. And I thought Bellows Beach was the best boogie-boarding beach on the island--but I'm not sure if you can get into it if you're non-military (our friends were in the military).

I should warn you that traffic is killer on Oahu; I would drive in off-rush hour periods.

I'm actually heading back to Oahu (teaching on NS Pearl Harbor) on Tues for 12 days. I would 2nd the snorkeling at shark's cove. A bit of trivia on shark's cove is that the locals named it that in an attempt to keep the "howlies" away.