Going to Hawaii on Monday for Honeymoon

PTS

as for Maui. The road to Hana was fun, yet annoying. After awhile those hairpin turns get old. Fast. The 7 sacred pools is a tourist hoax. There are some very nice waterfalls at the end though. We also did a submarine ride and did the horsebacking down the middle of the mountain.

THat's what made the Harley ride a good option for me.. long day though.

There was a beach called the "secret beach" on the north side that was a PIA to find and walk to, but totally worth it. Since it is so out of the way, dress can be VERY casual. cough, cough.

The out of the way "VERY casual" beach on Maui is "Little Beach"... which is right next to the "1/2 VERY casual" Big Beach. The views can be spectacular.

If you dive then you must book a trip. Water clarity is beyond par.

Go see the Arizona Memorial.

Go see the punchbowl.

If you plan on boinking avoid the Mai-Tai's

It's 'crepe' and 'haole'

My wife lived in Hawaii for a year, when we went back I got the insider tour. Unfortunately Oahu has been very commercialized. Hanauama Bay was very nice but I think tourists have beaten the sh#t out of, it-standing on the Coral heads and such.

We had a nice helicopter ride.

I second this -- the view from a helicoptor is amazing. Our pilot took us to some secluded waterfalls and stuff, it was great.

Plus, they have a camera on the helicoptor and let you buy a video of the trip when you're done.

CW

Oahu: If you're going to hit Pearl Harbor (really the most interesting thing on Oahu), as someone said before, be there early! Can't stress it enough. I'm pretty sure it opens at 730, you'll want to BE THERE at 7. You'll probably be one of the first few in line, but the buses start showing up about 710 - 715 and after that, you're just wasting your day. Not sure where you're staying, but you may need to leave earlier than you think. Traffic on the island is horrible, and trying to get around the Hickam/Pearl Harbor area at that time of day can be rough. I'd recommend doing this your first morning. Everyone that's ever come to stay with has woken up at like 5am due to the time difference. It's happened enough that I now plan on Pearl Harbor the first morning, and after that you can sleep in every day.

Anyway, other than Pearl: One of my favorite things to do is just make a drive around the eastern half of the island and make stops along the way. Start by getting on the H-1 east and drive till it ends (keep going). After about 10 minutes you'll go through a small town and then up a steep hill. In this area you can stop at Haunama Bay, the Makapuu lighthouse, and the blowhole.

When you're done, keep heading in the same direction and enjoy the ride and views (beautiful over there, and since most people don't go out there, it's the reason they think Oahu is nothing but touristy).

As you drive around the the windward side you'll come into Kaneohe and meet up with Kamehameha Hwy, which will take you around the rest of the drive.

Do yourself a favor and stop at Tropical Farms for the tour. Probably the only actual secret left on Oahu, it's great! The Byodo Temple is nearby, nice quick stop. Keep driving up the coast and you'll pass The Polynesian Cultural Center on your left (this is very cool, but it's expensive and really a full day event). Just past that you'll see a large parking area/park on your right. Beautiful beach area here and 9 times out of 10, there won't be anyone around. Unfortunately that 10th time, some tourist company decides to bring a bus in. But it's rare, and even if you don't want to spend a lot of time there, it's worth it just to see the view.

Keep going and you'll be driving around the northernmost tip of the island. You'll see some old beat up trucks on the side of the road selling shrimp (probably quite crowded). If you like shrimp and are hungry, stop and get some. It's worth it. The most famous is Giovanni's shrimp truck (white truck covered with grafitti.

After that is another nice, scenic drive, but it starts to get busier now. You'll be coming to Waiamea Bay, which is the big surfing spot. Beautiful beaches and big surf, but crowded. There's a park on the left where you can pay a few bucks and walk a paved road to Waiamea Falls. Nothing spectacular (you'll see much better falls on Kuai, my favorite island), but nice. After that you come around to Turtle Bay and then Haleiwa. Haleiwa is promoted as an old surfer town, but really it's just a tourist trap with kind of a cool look to it. But, it is a good place to stop for dinner, and especially Shave Ice. Get some Shave Ice or Ice Cream at the General Store, best of both on the island. The books tell you Matsumoto's (and that's where the line will be), but trust me, the General Store is GOOD.

Keep driving and you'll come to the Dole Plantation. Good for a stop, but all in all, pretty boring unless you're interested in farming? Anyway, nice to stop and get a few pictures and take the tour.

That wraps it up. Stay on Kamahameha until you get to the H-2, take that to the H-1, and you're back. Depending on how much you stop, this could be a full day. I've done it with people who were more interested in just seeing the views than anything else, and it takes a few hours.

Anyway, sorry for the long tutorial! If you have any questions, let me know.

Only a couple things to add:

If anyone gets easily carsick, dramamine is a must on the rode to Hana.

Like SDS said, 7 Sacred pools is worth it if you hike up to the waterfalls through some very cool bamboo forests...most people don't. The pools are usually packed.

I've been to the top of Haleakala several times, but the best experience I've had was a horseback ride down into it.

Dining:

Makawao Deli: Hands down the best Sushi I've had in the States.

Honokawai Deli: Used to be affordable and great Mahi fish fry. Recent reviews say as they've gotten bigger (i.e. since they've been in "Maui Revealed") and the reviews claim it's not the same. I'd still try it.

If you can get the right table at Mama's, it's incredible beach side atmosphere. Overprices, but everything in Hawaii is overpriced.

Thanks everyone for the tips. Some real good stuff here.

DrDankenstein: why did you doubt the quality of the TBD community!?! Sure I could go to one of a million Hawaii travel message boards but I feel the answers I get here are far more honest and less biased.