Things You Don't See (or Hear) Anymore

Chef Jim

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-20 points on your SAT. The guy had 2 flat tires. You carry 2 spares?

That was the point of the salesman's pitch.

Wacka?

I carry four spares. You know, since I have four tires.

And I also don't drive to !@#$ing Philly to get them repaired. :lol:

"This is a test. For the next sixty seconds, this station will conduct a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This is only a test. If this had been an actual emergency, the Attention Signal you just heard would have been followed by official information, news or instructions. This concludes this test of the Emergency Broadcast System."

That is the successor of the CONELRAD system.

The Civil Defense icons (symbols, back then) on the radio dial.

I was a member of the Civil Defense. Among my trinkets are a CD lapel pin and my 4" badge with the CD symbol and my number.

I carry four spares. You know, since I have four tires.

And I also don't drive to !@#$ing Philly to get them repaired. :lol:

Because you know that at any time all four could blow at once. And he didn't drive to Philly to get them repaired. He drove to Philly then got them repaired. You are channeling Wacka on this one. B-)

Because you know that at any time all four could blow at once. And he didn't drive to Philly to get them repaired. He drove to Philly then got them repaired. You are channeling Wacka on this one. :lol:

Because that still makes so much more sense than getting them repaired BEFORE driving to Philly.

How about payphones in general?

The truth...last weekend I blew a tire on my car...being that I may be the only person that doesn't have a cell phone, after pulling over off of a busy street, I walked to a couple of nearby resteraunts/bars trying to find a pay phone. Not only did they not have pay phones, nobody had a phone book either... third place, I found a phone book, and the establishment (a chicken wing resteraunt!) was kind enough to let me use their phone...

The truth...last weekend I blew a tire on my car...being that I may be the only person that doesn't have a cell phone, after pulling over off of a busy street, I walked to a couple of nearby resteraunts/bars trying to find a pay phone. Not only did they not have pay phones, nobody had a phone book either... third place, I found a phone book, and the establishment (a chicken wing resteraunt!) was kind enough to let me use their phone...

My wife doesn't have a cell phone either. It's caused some minor issues in the past but she'll never have one. She sure loves it when we're out though and we can use my Blackberry to access the internet when we have a question about something.

Because that still makes so much more sense than getting them repaired BEFORE driving to Philly.

Starting at 180 and dropping, 170, 160, 150, 140, 130, 120, 110, 100, 90, 80...Palin territory.

On run-flats, you are OK and encouraged to drive on them. Not on a cross-country trip but a drive to Philly is supposed to be no problem.

For the Prius, it's easy carrying spares. Damn things ride on black Cheerios.

My wife doesn't have a cell phone either. It's caused some minor issues in the past but she'll never have one. She sure loves it when we're out though and we can use my Blackberry to access the internet when we have a question about something.

My wife uses that term a lot on tech-related issues.

Starting at 180 and dropping, 170, 160, 150, 140, 130, 120, 110, 100, 90, 80...Palin territory.

On run-flats, you are OK and encouraged to drive on them. Not on a cross-country trip but a drive to Philly is supposed to be no problem.

What is "Palin territory"? Is that something like "I didn't have sex with that woman?" <_<

Yeah, okay..."Oh, I have a flat tire. Guess I complete my long-distance trip and then fix it."

Reminds me of one time, driving to Buffalo, my car caught on fire around Corning. I figured I'd finish the drive before putting it out. <_<

Yeah, okay..."Oh, I have a flat tire. Guess I complete my long-distance trip and then fix it."

Reminds me of one time, driving to Buffalo, my car caught on fire around Corning. I figured I'd finish the drive before putting it out. <_<

80, 70

NYC to Philly is the same distance as Rochester to Buffalo--70 miles or so. Hardly a "long-distance trip."

It's a new technology man. You won't think much of such a decision in the future.