Did everyone get their check?

I was just wondering if anyone else has heard about the "stimulus" check given to people who collect welfare. Our dear gov. Patterson decided the raise the people on welfare received earlier this year was not enough to buy there kids back to school supplies. So he decided to take some of the money received from the stimulus package and give each child on welfare $200 dollars.

So if you have 5 kids, you end up with a sweet check for $1000. You could buy a lot of school supplies with that much cash. There was a news report saying some of the ATM machines were emptied out because so many people were taking there money out of the machine.

How can this state justify this?

Obviously it's needed because kids need to get the most out of school so they learn the difference between "there" and "their".

I'm glad everybody had a good laugh, but I made that mistake in the title on purpose because this was about the educational system.

Obviously it's needed because kids need to get the most out of school so they learn the difference between "there" and "their".

So, you have no opinion on the actual post? You think it's OK to give away $200 to every child between the age of 3-19. Even if they do not go to school?

:thumbsup:

If they truly wanted to accomplish that end they should have given out certificates for school supplies.

Actually I agree with that. I wish they'd given vouchers - shoot, much as I hate Wal-Mart they coulda worked a deal with Wallyworld (or some discount store) for store certificates.

HOWEVER - let's be realistic. Soon there would be a thriving black market for those certificates.

The thing is, there are always going to be people who abuse the system. Even, say governors who spend tax dollars to see their soulmates...that's just the way it is. I believe though that for every piece of scum who robs his or her children of the chance to have a pair of new shoes, a coat and a couple of decent outfits for back to school...there are many, many more who put that money to good use.

The point of the program was so some poor kids could get excited and think positively about going back to school. Then, maybe, with a positive attitude as they grow older, staying in school and perhaps graduating and being productive people instead of leeches. I remember how, as a kid, I really looked forward to going back to school shopping. Then I couldn't wait to go to school to wear my new clothes. Poor kids don't have that. It's a very simple pleasure that can go such a long way toward a child's success.

It is NOT the fault of these children that their parents are pigs. But we don't want government interfering and tell people they can't have kids, do we? Of course not.

Suffer the little children....

Actually I agree with that. I wish they'd given vouchers - shoot, much as I hate Wal-Mart they coulda worked a deal with Wallyworld (or some discount store) for store certificates.

HOWEVER - let's be realistic. Soon there would be a thriving black market for those certificates.

The thing is, there are always going to be people who abuse the system. Even, say governors who spend tax dollars to see their soulmates...that's just the way it is. I believe though that for every piece of scum who robs his or her children of the chance to have a pair of new shoes, a coat and a couple of decent outfits for back to school...there are many, many more who put that money to good use.

The point of the program was so some poor kids could get excited and think positively about going back to school. Then, maybe, with a positive attitude as they grow older, staying in school and perhaps graduating and being productive people instead of leeches. I remember how, as a kid, I really looked forward to going back to school shopping. Then I couldn't wait to go to school to wear my new clothes. Poor kids don't have that. It's a very simple pleasure that can go such a long way toward a child's success.

It is NOT the fault of these children that their parents are pigs. But we don't want government interfering and tell people they can't have kids, do we? Of course not.

Suffer the little children....

Believe it or not, I agree with most of what you said, but what about the families NOT receiving public assistance who can't afford new clothes for back to school. There are millions of families with two parents working barely keeping their heads above water, who do not qualify for this bonus.

Instead of the millions spent on this ridiculous give away, why not use it to weed out the people cheating the system? Wouldn't that be a more practical use of the money?

Believe it or not, I agree with most of what you said, but what about the families NOT receiving public assistance who can't afford new clothes for back to school. There are millions of families with two parents working barely keeping their heads above water, who do not qualify for this bonus.

Instead of the millions spent on this ridiculous give away, why not use it to weed out the people cheating the system? Wouldn't that be a more practical use of the money?

Unfortunetly, I saw on the news today that this entire program is what alot of thought it would be...A boon for the cigarette, beer and video game companies (and what gets taxed the most? Cigarettes and beer!). I agree for once with bzrul...It is sad parents can't pass this $200 on to their kids for clothes or supplies.

Vouchers shoulda been the way to go.

i am in favor of underprivleged (or for that matter all)kids getting free or discounted school supplies, not money.

So, you have no opinion on the actual post? You think it's OK to give away $200 to every child between the age of 3-19. Even if they do not go to school?