So I had a phone interview scheduled for 11 AM

The Poojer

11:20 rolls around nothing....I send an email asking the recruiter if she needed to re-schedule...she quickly responds that she was in a meeting that went over and would it be ok to call in a few minutes...sure no problem....she winds up calling around 11:47....It amazes me how people do business and are allowed to stay in business....whatever....I wonder what would have happened if I showed up late for an interview.....at least I think the interview went well, but I have said that too many times before.........

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11:20 rolls around nothing....I send an email asking the recruiter if she needed to re-schedule...she quickly responds that she was in a meeting that went over and would it be ok to call in a few minutes...sure no problem....she winds up calling around 11:47....It amazes me how people do business and are allowed to stay in business....whatever....I wonder what would have happened if I showed up late for an interview.....at least I think the interview went well, but I have said that too many times before.........

Pooj, not excusing the lateness but there is a big difference between being the interviewer and the interviewee. She responded quickly to your email and called you in back within a reasonable time period. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Regardless, I hope it works out and you get the job. Good luck.

it is a lack of respect for the other person's time, if i hadn't sent that email, i am certain i would have just had to sit and wait....she claimed there was no clock in the meeting room....today, if you don't carry your laptop with you...you at least have a cell phone/blackberry or there are clocks in meeting rooms so you can respect the time of those in your meeting and those that may be meeting in that room after your scheduled meeting....she is an HR person....she needs to be more aware of the time than she appeared to be....but I was gracious to her...and thanks for your "good luck" wish

Pooj, not excusing the lateness but there is a big difference between being the interviewer and the interviewee. She responded quickly to your email and called you in back within a reasonable time period. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Regardless, I hope it works out and you get the job. Good luck.

Exactly. Especially if it's a recruiter. These days they have thousands of candidates and few openings so you need to remember the law of supply and demand when going through the job search process. It's not something you should take personally.

it had been scheduled for almost 2 weeks.....i stick by my stance that it is unprofessional. Her time is no more valuable than mine or yours. Of course things come up....thats when you call or send a note....un-provoked...to excuse your lateness or to re-schedule....

Exactly. Especially if it's a recruiter. These days they have thousands of candidates and few openings so you need to remember the law of supply and demand when going through the job search process. It's not something you should take personally.

it had been scheduled for almost 2 weeks.....i stick by my stance that it is unprofessional. Her time is no more valuable than mine or yours. Of course things come up....thats when you call or send a note....un-provoked...to excuse your lateness or to re-schedule....

You're right that it's unprofessional but I'm finding that unprofessionalism is running amok in the world right now. Particularly in HR.

it is a lack of respect for the other person's time, if i hadn't sent that email, i am certain i would have just had to sit and wait....she claimed there was no clock in the meeting room....today, if you don't carry your laptop with you...you at least have a cell phone/blackberry or there are clocks in meeting rooms so you can respect the time of those in your meeting and those that may be meeting in that room after your scheduled meeting....she is an HR person....she needs to be more aware of the time than she appeared to be....but I was gracious to her...and thanks for your "good luck" wish

I agree with email or even a text - she should have let you know that she was behind .... she gets the latitude to do it because she is the interviewer but not nice to leave you hanging.

Except that her time is more valuable. At least to her, and probably to you. Obviously this was an important call to you, but she likely has 20 others today. If you disappear, she has a hundred other people to set up for the next opening. When unemployment goes back to 4%, the shoe will be on the other foot, but for now, it is what it is.

I'm not saying her behavior wasn't a bit rude, but it's not unusual. That's just the reality of searching for a job in this type of market. That's why I'd advise you to not take it personally.

If she replied to you right away, I would assume she had a laptop or blackberry or something and would have known the time. The no clock thing is a lame excuse. My guess is she forgot or double booked...

no i disagree...no one person is more important than another...they may have a title and get paid more....but my kids don't give a rats rear end about some HR persons time....mine on the otherhand is very important to them....I expect everyone to treat everyone with the respect they deserve, and everyone deserves to be treated with basic respect, until of course they prove otherwise

Except that her time is more valuable. At least to her, and probably to you. Obviously this was an important call to you, but she likely has 20 others today. If you disappear, she has a hundred other people to set up for the next opening. When unemployment goes back to 4%, the shoe will be on the other foot, but for now, it is what it is.

I'm not saying her behavior wasn't a bit rude, but it's not unusual. That's just the reality of searching for a job in this type of market. That's why I'd advise you to not take it personally.

She's working you're not. Whose time is more limited? :nana:

And we all know that meetings always end right on time.

no i disagree...no one person is more important than another...they may have a title and get paid more....but my kids don't give a rats rear end about some HR persons time....mine on the otherhand is very important to them....I expect everyone to treat everyone with the respect they deserve, and everyone deserves to be treated with basic respect, until of course they prove otherwise

I didn't say one person was more important than another. I said it was likely that at this particular point in time, from the perspective of her and you, that her time was more valuable than yours, given the fact that she is juggling scores of candidates, of which you are only one. Clearly you need her a lot more than she needs you right now, no?

Think about it. If she's already 45 minutes behind on her day, the last thing she wants to do is waste time emailing people telling them she's behind on her day. So she'll reschedule some, cancel others, and make sure she's on time for the really important (i.e., revenue generating) ones. It's exhausting just watching a busy recruiter at work.