Pats rookie cb butler likely too guard lee evans in opener

NishP

Springs visited the Patriots on March 1st, but didn't sign with them until 3 days after TO signed with the Bills. I doubt it was in reaction to the Bills signing TO, because as I said, TO has had his way with Springs over the past few years and Springs is always hurt.

Oh, I agree with you 100%. Don't get me wrong. Nobody shuts down TO, unless 7 catches for 71 yards is shutting him down the last time the two met on the field. The fact that he was thrown to 18 times tells me that the Cowpokes liked the matchup with Springs.

I just thought the timing of the signings was interesting is all. I'm sure it was just the Pats* wanting to sign a veteran CB.

And your point about Springs' injury history is well taken.

GO BILLS!!!

Shawn Springs, at 6'0" and 205 pounds is one of the biggest cornerbacks in the league. He played against TO in the NFC West (Seattle vs SF), the NFC East (Washington vs Dallas) and now in the AFC East (NE vs Bflo). If there's anyone with the size and experience to neutralize Owens, it is Springs. Ask yourself this, why did the Patriots sign Springs after we signed Owens?
The Pats sign a player simply to counter a move the Bills make? I doubt that the Pats take the Bills that seriously. C'mon, they beat us 15 straight or something, most games are blow outs, they get Brady back and they react to us signing a WR? The Pats are focused on signing players that will help them win Superbowls not beating a sub .500 team.

Blackhawk, I agree with you. I highly doubt that us signing TO with our dysfunctional coaching and revolving-door-offensive-line would cause Bellicheat to get the shakes enough that he would go out and sign up Springs just to cover TO. It would be nice if they actually feared us that much, but truth be told, they don't.

It's actually pretty easy being a Bills fan in Boston nowadays - no one even bothers to make fun of me on Monday mornings any more, they just nod sympathetically at me and say "At least it was close, kinda, for the first part of the first quarter"

I was watchin pats training camp and they talk highly off him. But he was getting tourched by wes welker. Welker runs a 4.60 40 and lee runs a 4.38 so hopefully lee tourches him as well.... So that leaves either leigh bodden or shawn springs to guard T.O. And neither one of them are strong enough to do that.

Shawn Springs did guard TO pretty well at times when he was with the Redskins.

I was watchin pats training camp and they talk highly off him. But he was getting tourched by wes welker. Welker runs a 4.60 40 and lee runs a 4.38 so hopefully lee tourches him as well.... So that leaves either leigh bodden or shawn springs to guard T.O. And neither one of them are strong enough to do that.

The Patriots camp practices I saw, Butler and Springs were used as first-teamers only on nickel and dime packages. The starters have been Leigh Bodden and Terrence Wheatley. Plus, Jonathan Wilhite has been banged up and might have a shot at it.

Shawn Springs did guard TO pretty well at times when he was with the Redskins.

Shawn Springs covered TO as well as anyone can in man to man. Doesn't mean TO won't break loose on him, especially with Lee Evans lined up opposite of TO - a luxury TO has never enjoyed since his days with Jerry Rice when he was the #2 guy.

And anyone who thinks Lee Evans (as much as I like him) is a greater threat than TO is just plain kidding themselves.

I watched a Redskins cowboys game last year and Springs cover TO well for 3 quarters. Sprigs uses bump and press coverage to cover TO and at times it worked. But other times TO destroys Springs

Springs only played in 1 (the first) of the Dallas-Washington games last year, and TO had 7 catches for 71 yards and a TD. Springs missed the other game. Springs might have had good coverage on some plays, but TO's production was pretty good.

Because the rest of the league acknowledges that T.O. is better and more of a threat than Lee Evans.

The difference, though, is that Evans in that case still would be the No. 2 receiver. Welker is a slot receiver. The Bills' version of Welker would be Josh Reed/Roscoe Parrish.

Don't be so high and mighty when you are factually WRONG.

Springs does not shut down T.O. He has burned Springs many times, including for four TDs and 170+ yards in one game just two seasons ago.

Without Lynch's rushing, TE will be on his back all night, so who cares who's guarding TO and Evans? Bills TV watching strategy for this year: TIVO but do not watch the away games as 3 out of 4 will be embarrasing blowouts. Watch the home games and remember the good times at the games in years past and cheer the few wins against teams even crappier than the Bills.

Without Lynch's rushing, TE will be on his back all night, so who cares who's guarding TO and Evans? Bills TV watching strategy for this year: TIVO but do not watch the away games as 3 out of 4 will be embarrasing blowouts. Watch the home games and remember the good times at the games in years past and cheer the few wins against teams even crappier than the Bills.

Or...you could watch ever game you can, supporting the team no matter what and be a real fan. But whatever works for you.

I might be completely wrong with this, but wouldn't having a 5 WR set basically mean single coverage on 3 receivers? That can mean Roscoe out in a flat against a LB if it's no huddle and they don't get off the field in time..

Even if they go, 3 DL, 1 LB and 7DB That's a max of 4 rushers against 5 Linemen, we should be able to protect long enough for SOMEONE to get open.

I hope it's something they're at least considering.