Did I do the right thing?

So I'm working at Hollywood Video (among other jobs) to make some money this summer until classes start up and my on-campus job starts.

The other day, this young kid (probably in the range of 11-13) ambles into the store and starts browsing the shelves. Now, the store is located right next to a skate park and we get a lot of kids this age so it didn't really raise any red flags, and the store was pretty busy so I wasn't paying much attention to him. About 5 minutes later, a dude from the video game store next to us catches the kid trying to walk off with about $8 worth of concession merchandise (a few things of candy and a soda), so the GameCrazy guy takes the kid back to our counter so that I can deal with him.

He had already opened up the stuff that he tried to steal so I couldn't just put it back on the shelves. First, I tell him to call his parents and see if they'll come down and pay. He tries calling but neither one will help him out. Then, he asks me if he can pay for the stuff with food stamps and I tell him no. At this point, I don't have much recourse but to involve the authorities or just let him off the hook. Rather than complicate the situation further, I just paid for the food out of my wallet and sent him on his way with a stern warning about how we wouldn't be so forgiving the next time and that I'd better not see his face again in the store without an adult. So the kid leaves (without so much as saying thanks, by the way).

At the time, seemed like the right thing to do but now I'm not so sure. I hate to think that I helped teach the kid that he can get away with this sort of things, and maybe he'd actually be better off getting caught stealing $8 worth of stuff before he grows up and tries armed robbery or something.

Any thoughts on this? I'm a decent guy, and I like to think everybody deserves a second chance when it comes to such a petty crime, but maybe being a softie was the wrong decision here?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe its the break the kid needs to do the right thing going forward.....keep that thought in your head. its worth a couple of karma points....

So I'm working at Hollywood Video (among other jobs) to make some money this summer until classes start up and my on-campus job starts.

The other day, this young kid (probably in the range of 11-13) ambles into the store and starts browsing the shelves. Now, the store is located right next to a skate park and we get a lot of kids this age so it didn't really raise any red flags, and the store was pretty busy so I wasn't paying much attention to him. About 5 minutes later, a dude from the video game store next to us catches the kid trying to walk off with about $8 worth of concession merchandise (a few things of candy and a soda), so the GameCrazy guy takes the kid back to our counter so that I can deal with him.

He had already opened up the stuff that he tried to steal so I couldn't just put it back on the shelves. First, I tell him to call his parents and see if they'll come down and pay. He tries calling but neither one will help him out. Then, he asks me if he can pay for the stuff with food stamps and I tell him no. At this point, I don't have much recourse but to involve the authorities or just let him off the hook. Rather than complicate the situation further, I just paid for the food out of my wallet and sent him on his way with a stern warning about how we wouldn't be so forgiving the next time and that I'd better not see his face again in the store without an adult. So the kid leaves (without so much as saying thanks, by the way).

At the time, seemed like the right thing to do but now I'm not so sure. I hate to think that I helped teach the kid that he can get away with this sort of things, and maybe he'd actually be better off getting caught stealing $8 worth of stuff before he grows up and tries armed robbery or something.

Any thoughts on this? I'm a decent guy, and I like to think everybody deserves a second chance when it comes to such a petty crime, but maybe being a softie was the wrong decision here?

First, I tell him to call his parents and see if they'll come down and pay. He tries calling but neither one will help him out.

I'm really curious to know what this means. He actually spoke to his parents and neither of them gave a damn that he was caught stealing?? If that's really the case, the kid will probably end up a complete scumbag regardless.

I think you handled it fine. Calling the cops wouldn't have done anything except waste your own time.

I would've called the cops. Then the parents would have HAD to get involved. I don't understand why the parents wouldn't want to help him out ahead of time -- although I wouldn't be surprised if he just "pretended" to talk to his parents, and it was really just some friends or whatever.

You really think this was the first time he was stealing? Doubtful.

Then again, I'm a very "by the book" kinda guy.

CW

EDIT: I also hope you didn't let him keep his $8 worth of stolen merchandise.

maybe its the break the kid needs to do the right thing going forward.....keep that thought in your head. its worth a couple of karma points....

Doubt this if the kid can't even say thank you! He most likely went back to his buddies and they had a good laugh at your expense.

I'm really curious to know what this means. He actually spoke to his parents and neither of them gave a damn that he was caught stealing?? If that's really the case, the kid will probably end up a complete scumbag regardless.

I think you handled it fine. Calling the cops wouldn't have done anything except waste your own time.

I didn't actually hear the conversation, as there were other customers waiting at the time and I was multi-tasking. He definitely talked to somebody, maybe he was just faking it like Fezmid thinks. In any case, he intimated that his parents weren't going to bail him out.

If he did speak to his parents and they weren't too concerned, it sounds like they are the softie's. There is no right answer as to whether or not you did the right thing. You decided to let him go, so obviously you believe it was the right decision and that's all that matters. I mentor students at a city school in Buffalo and they have some unbelievable story's of neglect and hardship. But they always appreciate me coming to visit, as I am sure the kid appreciated you cutting him some slack...

Yeah, this is what I fear...a few minutes after the fact, I got the distinct impression that I was outsmarted by a punk kid.

So what? You'll never know if he was sincere or not, so don't beat yourself up over it. If you called the police and they took him away, how would you feel? You might feel worse. I don't think this was a life defining moment, one way or the other, in this young man's life...

IMO there is not any good answer here. Let's face it, these kids grow up feeling it is ok to steal music and other copyrighted materials. Why would they think that candy would be any different? It's not like the Whooper factory can't just stamp out a few more malted milk balls. You can't really do anything about it. If you called the cops the kid would end up more confused than rehabilitated. It is more of a problem with society than with any individual.

What would The Dean suggest? :unsure:

FWIW, what you did COULD have been the right thing with the "right" type of kid who could/would learn something from it, but short of revisionist history there's no way of knowing how he was going to take your kindness/lesson.

Chalk it up to experience, then refer to The Dean's advice... :unsure:

What would The Dean suggest? :unsure:

FWIW, what you did COULD have been the right thing with the "right" type of kid who could/would learn something from it, but short of revisionist history there's no way of knowing how he was going to take your kindness/lesson.

Chalk it up to experience, then refer to The Dean's advice... :unsure:

He would probably suggest causing such a person, being prone to carnal relations with their mother, a penetrating trauma using a crudely handmade weapon.

11 to 13 is pretty young to drop the hammer on him. And cops aren't going to anything with a kid that young who stole some candy. But, I wouldn't have let him keep the stuff he stole. I wouldn't let it weigh on you.

At the very least the cop would have called the kid's parents and had them pick him up. Tho I suspect the kid's parents wouldn't be as upset about him stealing as about getting caught :unsure: