When do the Bills move on without Maybin?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this like baseball where he reenters the draft when unsigned? I thought the NFL was different.

That is what would happen. It just (almost) never does in the NFL, because it would be so harmful to both parties. It happens more frequently in baseball because players are drafted while they still have college eligibility, so they can go back to school for another year to increase their draft stock. Also teams aren't as worried about signing every pick since the MLB draft is like 30 rounds, and even top prospects usually take years to make the majors.

Maybin is due to be one of the highest paid Bills. My question is when do we say " Well we can't use you this year anyway, so you can stay home as long as you want. Have fun Aaron, I hope it was worth it!".

I would even consider letting hime re-enter the draft if that is what he wants. The Bills can use his contract money towards a free agent in 2010.

you are totally lost. absolutly dumbest post yet today!

i cant believe how man guys post absolutly brain dead garbage on this board, totally clueless

I'm not defending Maybin, but could you explain to me what he has done to act as though he was the MVP of the league last year?

Please identify for us what exactly Maybin has actually done that you think constitutes him acting as if he were the MVP of the league.

I'm not defending Maybin, but could you explain to me what he has done to act as though he was the MVP of the league last year?

Please identify for us what exactly Maybin has actually done that you think constitutes him acting as if he were the MVP of the league.

Is there an echo in here? Because I could swear you're both asking the same question.

jason made that statement. murra is asking him the same thing you are asking.

Is there an echo in here? Because I could swear you're both asking the same question.

echo?

jason made that statement. murra is asking him the same thing you are asking.

And you're asking Mickey the same thing I'm asking. I think. I'm so confused. Time for a beer ...

And you're asking Mickey the same thing I'm asking. I think. I'm so confused. Time for a beer ...

Yes, you and I noticed the same thing. Mickey is confused, here. He probably didn't get the context of murra's post.

Echo

He is one of a few draft picks left unsigned. I can't remember the last time a pick held out for this long.

The Knock on Maybin coming out of college is that he was only a starter for one year, and he only started because of injury.

I will admit he kid is physically gifted, but it looks as if he is going to be even more of a project than first thought.

I'm sorry I went a little far with the MVP statement. I am justn frustrated that a kid that only started one year is holding out for two weeks now.

Here are some guys who have some pretty great careers with much longer holdouts than Maybin.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...&id=2116504

RB Bo Jackson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1986): In the 1980s, well before the salary cap, teams had all the control in contract negotiations. There was no free agency. Draft choices either had to accept team offers or hold out. Jackson found the most original way of saying no. The Bucs perennially were drafting near the top of the first round, and few players liked owner Hugh Culverhouse's offers. The Bucs made Jackson a five-year offer. He said no and bolted to baseball. The first pick of the 1986 draft ended up spending his first pro September in a Kansas City Royals uniform instead of a Tampa Bay Bucs uniform. By 1989, he was an All-Star. Still, Jackson wanted to get back on the football field to fulfill his legacy as being one of sports' great athletes. By not signing with the Bucs before the 1987 draft, Jackson created one of the steals in NFL history. The Raiders took him in the seventh round. By 1990, he was a Pro Bowl running back for Al Davis

LB Cornelius Bennett, Indianapolis Colts (1987): Bennett didn't like anything facing him in 1987. He held out 102 days after the Colts invested a first-round choice for him. The NFL went on a 24-day strike. Bennett, one of the best defensive players to come out of Alabama, simply waited. Then Bills general manager Bill Polian thought Bennett was the final piece in the rebuilding of the Bills. So on Oct. 31, 1987, Polian made the trade that put the Bills on the road to four Super Bowl appearances. He traded for the rights to Bennett in a deal that also involved the Rams and Eric Dickerson. After 102 days of holding out, Bennett ended up parlaying his demands for a big contract into a slice of history, ending up with Marv Levy and helping the Bills to one of the most memorable four-year runs in NFL history.

QB Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers (2004): Let's play "What if?" What if Rivers held out 18 days instead of 25 in 2004? Had he showed up a week earlier, he would have been in competition for the Chargers' starting job. Had that happened, Drew Brees might not have had a Pro Bowl season and San Diego might not have been last year's Cinderella story, finishing with a 12-4 record. Remember, the Chargers selected Eli Manning against his wishes. Less than an hour after the pick, they traded Manning to the Giants in order to get Rivers as their quarterback of the future. But Rivers held out until Aug. 23, despite threats by ownership that it wouldn't change its offer. Brees is expected to start this year, and Rivers is expected to be the backup. It sets up an interesting decision after the season as to which quarterback will stay.