When do the Bills move on without Maybin?

Last time I checked 5 years $35M equals out to 7 million per year?

Exactly you moron which is LESS THAN the 8.5 Stroud is being paid - hence he wouldn't be the highest paid defensive player - an idea you just plucked out of thin air like all your others. He's not going to get #7 money at #11.

Don't you go back to med school soon? Not soon enough...

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what would happen. It just (almost) never does in the NFL, because it would be so harmful to both parties. It happens more frequently in baseball because players are drafted while they still have college eligibility, so they can go back to school for another year to increase their draft stock. Also teams aren't as worried about signing every pick since the MLB draft is like 30 rounds, and even top prospects usually take years to make the majors.

Unless the rules have changed a player can not go to college for 1 year then go pro. He has to wait till his junior year to declare himself for the draft. In baseball.

Unless the rules have changed a player can not go to college for 1 year then go pro. He has to wait till his junior year to declare himself for the draft. In baseball.

After a quick search it looks like you're right. So a high school player who does not sign after being drafted would not be able to go to school for just one year as I stated, but must wait until either completing their Junior year of college, or turning 21.

Exactly you moron which is LESS THAN the 8.5 Stroud is being paid - hence he wouldn't be the highest paid defensive player - an idea you just plucked out of thin air like all your others. He's not going to get #7 money at #11.

Don't you go back to med school soon? Not soon enough...

Calm Down Buttercup! Its still to much money for a one trick pony defensive end.

After a quick search it looks like you're right. So a high school player who does not sign after being drafted would not be able to go to school for just one year as I stated, but must wait until either completing their Junior year of college, or turning 21.

I thought it was 3 years after graduating high school, or 21 if didnt graduate.

The other exception is that players can go to a DIvision III school or Junior College for just a year, and stay eligible for the draft the next year.

Calm Down Buttercup! Its still to much money for a one trick pony defensive end.

"One trick pony" - That is your uneducated opinion and every dumbass in this country has a right to one. But that opinion doesn't address the poster who pointed out to you that your previous uneducated opinion - that Maybin will be the highest paid defensive player on the team - is almost certainly not going to be the case by showing you actual facts, namely the figure Stroud stands to earn this year. You tried to address that point by pulling out your calculator and informing us that 35 million over 5 years is, indeed, 7 million a year on average. But you didn't realize that 8.5mil is, in fact, greater than 7mil.

I am beginning to think your reading comprehension is almost as horrid as your spelling.

Last time I checked 5 years $35M equals out to 7 million per year?

Which is less than either Stroud or Schobel, hence he will NOT be the highest paid DL on the Bills!

Since Derrius Heyward-Bey was the #7 overall pick I can almost guarantee that Maybin will be paid less than him.

Which is less than either Stroud or Schobel, hence he will NOT be the highest paid DL on the Bills!

Since Derrius Heyward-Bey was the #7 overall pick I can almost guarantee that Maybin will be paid less than him.

To expand on the numbers, let's start with the perspective that Maybin's deal will most certainly be an increase over the #11 deal last season (Buffalo's own Leodis McKelvin).

McKelvin (as you'll see here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/10910337) signed a 5-year deal worth $19.4M, $12.6M of which was guaranteed. According to all of the information I've seen, the % increase for 1st-round rookie contracts from 2008 to 2009 ranges from 10% (for Ziggy Hood and Beanie Wells) to over 22% (Stafford and Sanchez), a 12% variance. That 12% variance spread evenly over 32 1st round picks represents 0.375% bump in percentage per pick, which means that for every spot ahead of #33 a player was picked, his contract should increase by 10% plus 0.375 x (33 - x), where x represents the slot at which the player was picked. Following this formula, the % increase from 2008 for the #11 pick would look like this:

10 + (0.375 x [33 - 11]) = 18.25%

Thus, Maybin's deal will be approximately $22.9M over 5 years, with about $14.9M guaranteed. He'd come in at about $4.58M per year, which is approximately 54% of the salary that Marcus Stroud pulls in--just to put things in perspective.

Maybin is due to be one of the highest paid Bills. My question is when do we say " Well we can't use you this year anyway, so you can stay home as long as you want. Have fun Aaron, I hope it was worth it!".

I would even consider letting hime re-enter the draft if that is what he wants. The Bills can use his contract money towards a free agent in 2010.

HE was drafted one spot behind crabtree, and others that still havent signed. Yes it would be great to have him but he is A defensive end that most likely will not see significant time until halfway through the season. We would all like to see what he has now, but its neither maybins or the bills fault entirely, these are huge contracts and not easily dealth with, he will be there soon enough.

I hope he has more than just a good first step.

My fear is he might be a one trick pony!

As you have repeatedly stated.

But it seems your issue should be with the Bills, for selecting him at that draft position. Since they did, he will get the kind of contract a #11 draft pick is due. Pretty simple, actually.

Do you expect the Bills to pick players at #11 and then attempt to pay them less than what is to be expected for that draft slot? That is...what's the word? Stupid, that's it. Stupid.

As you have repeatedly stated.

But it seems your issue should be with the Bills, for selecting him at that draft position. Since they did, he will get the kind of contract a #11 draft pick is due. Pretty simple, actually.

Do you expect the Bills to pick players at #11 and then attempt to pay them less than what is to be expected for that draft slot? That is...what's the word? Stupid, that's it. Stupid.

I think the Bills took a chance on him. I think he should recpricate the gesture.

I really hopes he proves me wrong.

I think the Bills took a chance on him. I think he should recpricate the gesture.

I really hopes he proves me wrong.

Every team who drafts a college player is "taking a chance" on that player. It is the very nature of the draft. If a team drafts you at a high spot, they understand the kind of contract commitment that comes along with it. You seem to have a very poor understanding of the entire process.