Arena League Close to Folding

Apparently AF2 is on showing stresses as well, despite what the article says. (Several franchises have refused to pay franchise fees and are threatening to start their own league.) Frankly I'm not disappointed. I hope the demise of silly indoor game will lead to a return of outsdoor spring football ala the USFL.

PTR

I have to say that in some way such news makes me happy. People involved with professional sports leagues have operated for years on the assumption that the money would always be there, since people desperate for sports entertainment would keep spending. The folding of the occasional league should act as a reminder that there are indeed limits. In a perfect world, such realizations would also play a role in the planning and management of the major sports leagues as well, though I am not holding my breath.

Look for the UFL to go the same route except a lot quicker, for the same reason. There isn't going to be enough revenue generated (6 games) to pay the players and the coaches.

Two years and Ka Put.

If they do well this year, expect then to add a few more teams & games next year. This league has the NFL's blessing, that should be a big help.

I dont watch Arena Football.....but I do feel bad because my sons speed trainer had a contract signed to play with the Los Angeles team. It wont make you rich but it was decent pay for playing the sport you live.

Prior to that he had been in NFL Europa for two seasons and then THAT folded. He was making decent pay there as well.

Do know the kid is to really like him, a beast of an athlete but very friendly and respectful off the field. My son wants to be just like him.

I think this will turn out to create a new type of sports league and I don't mean that in a good way. This will cause the ESPN's of the world creating their own leagues for their channels.

They'll own the league and manage the league including the coaching and roster which I think would be a terrible thing.

I think the idea of a league owning the teams (original AFL idea) or private owners owing the league will fall by the wayside.

To me it would be a conflict of interest but that may be the path that is taken.

I think the cities should own the teams in the league. All leagues major and minor. That way the cities could determine the rules and salaries. The cities could work with the TV industry for the TV contracts.

I'm a fan of the San Jose Sabercats (3 time AFL Champions). I'm saddened that the league is folding. It was a lot of fun to go to the games when there was no football. It was great seeing guys with a lot of talent, but maybe too small to play in the NFL get a chance.

Was very fan friendly. Autographs after EVERY game, you keep the balls that land in the stands (happened to me at my first game), cookouts with the players for season ticket holders before the season started, etc.

Maybe in the spring. In the fall Small Town America goes to H.S. football games on Friday night.

You can usually find me there come Friday nights. hey it might not be the grand stage but it is competetion at its rawest form. Plus the dogs only cost a buck or two.

Maybe someone perhaps the NFL and the remaining owners of the AFL , should come up with a plan for a 16 team league where each team is shared by 2 NFL franchises. Make it in the spring, and allocate players to the teams. , and play indoors ( most markets that have AFL teams dont have big outdoor stadiums )...but lose some of the gimmicks of the AFL....make it a true minor league for the NFL. I know the world league didnt make it but they were using european markets. take the most successful AFL markets, award them franchises. I live in tiny Ft Myers Fla, and we have 2 indoor teams, the Florida Firecats of afl2, and the Florida Stingrays of the CIFL. We also have a very successful ECHL team, and i think a new league should be like a AA baseball league or ECHL. Let young kids get a chance to play between college and the NFL. Practice squad players, college free agents, etc....Im calling Roger to get this thing going.

If they do well this year, expect then to add a few more teams & games next year. This league has the NFL's blessing, that should be a big help.

Again....where is the revenue going to come from to pay coaches and players? Even if there are investors, how are they going to get paid back from a 6 game season?

Again....where is the revenue going to come from to pay coaches and players? Even if there are investors, how are they going to get paid back from a 6 game season?

The question is: how much are the players gonna get paid based on a 6 game season?.....uh i doubt your gonna see many big contracts in this league.

You can usually find me there come Friday nights. hey it might not be the grand stage but it is competetion at its rawest form. Plus the dogs only cost a buck or two.

<_< Same here. I LOVE HS Football. I have seen some plays on Friday nights that would be shown on Sportscenter if they occured on Sunday afternoon.

As I said look for them to add a few more teams & GAMES next year. They already have a deal with VS network for this year. That is probably where the majority of money will come from.