Not an ideal situation for T.O.?

I've read this a few times over the last month or so - "To a lot of people this is not an ideal situation for me. But I’m here, and I’m making the most of it. I’m going to make the most of the situation." - T.O. referring to making it work here in Buffalo. He's making it sound as if the Bills are a team that players don't want to go to. Granted, that might be true for a lot of players, and that is what is so bothersome. Buffalo might not have the best night life, or the greatest city, or a lot of the off-field stuff, but it'd be nice if our F.O. could find a way to overcome that draw back with other incentives. Doesn't that bother other Bills fans, that our team should be viewed that way by pro players? It just feels like if we want to be competitve in the NFL, with that kind of reputation, then to counter that, or change it, the F.O. could put up the cash for the right free agents, and make the team a good one, one on the rise. May that be the case for us this year. (T.O. being an example?) Still, does it sound like he's here because he wants to be?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read this a few times over the last month or so - "To a lot of people this is not an ideal situation for me. But I'm here, and I'm making the most of it. I'm going to make the most of the situation." - T.O. referring to making it work here in Buffalo. He's making it sound as if the Bills are a team that players don't want to go to. Granted, that might be true for a lot of players, and that is what is so bothersome. Buffalo might not have the best night life, or the greatest city, or a lot of the off-field stuff, but it'd be nice if our F.O. could find a way to overcome that draw back with other incentives. Doesn't that bother other Bills fans, that our team should be viewed that way by pro players? It just feels like if we want to be competitve in the NFL, with that kind of reputation, then to counter that, or change it, the F.O. could put up the cash for the right free agents, and make the team a good one, one on the rise. May that be the case for us this year. (T.O. being an example?) Still, does it sound like he's here because he wants to be?

When you have people born and raised in Buffalo leaving in droves...

I've read this a few times over the last month or so - "To a lot of people this is not an ideal situation for me. But I’m here, and I’m making the most of it. I’m going to make the most of the situation." - T.O. referring to making it work here in Buffalo. He's making it sound as if the Bills are a team that players don't want to go to. Granted, that might be true for a lot of players, and that is what is so bothersome. Buffalo might not have the best night life, or the greatest city, or a lot of the off-field stuff, but it'd be nice if our F.O. could find a way to overcome that draw back with other incentives. Doesn't that bother other Bills fans, that our team should be viewed that way by pro players? It just feels like if we want to be competitve in the NFL, with that kind of reputation, then to counter that, or change it, the F.O. could put up the cash for the right free agents, and make the team a good one, one on the rise. May that be the case for us this year. (T.O. being an example?) Still, does it sound like he's here because he wants to be?

Seriously, what are the Bills supposed to do? Pay everyone an extra million bucks? Free lapdances at the Sundowner? The city is what it is. It has a reputation. And there are players in the NFL and NHL that won't play in Buffalo because they think the city is a sinkhole. As Bill Parcells once said "Winning is the best deodorant." Build a winner and most, not all, but most players will want to play in Buffalo.

PTR

Seriously, what are the Bills supposed to do? Pay everyone an extra million bucks? Free lapdances at the Sundowner? The city is what it is. It has a reputation. And there are players in the NFL and NHL that won't play in Buffalo because they think the city is a sinkhole. As Bill Parcells once said "Winning is the best deodorant." Build a winner and most, not all, but most players will want to play in Buffalo.

PTR

Exactly. put some hardware on some fingers and virtually everyone will beat a path to your doorstep. It is as simple as that.

PTR

Good post. Look at the New Jersey Devils. They were called a Mickey Mouse organization by arguably the greatest player ever. They were a joke who were consitantly at the bottom of the league during their first years in New Jersey. Now the Devils are a powerhouse three time champion who has only missed the playoffs once in the last 20 years.

Now They are respected around the league as a winner and one of the best run organizations in the league. They don't really have a problem keeping their players (Brodeur has stayed there his whole career) or getting free agents.

If the Bills win there will be players who want to come here. For now they have to make prudent free agent acquisitions draft incredibly and spend money wisely keeping the best talent but not overpaying for it than if they start to win players will stay and players will come. If you win they will come.

I recently met an ex-player who played one year on the Bills and three on the 49ers as a back-up in the mid to late 90s. He said the Bills were a much better organization than the 49ers, from the owner to the management to the stars to the back-ups. He hated when he heard he was traded to the Bills and then immediately loved it when he got to Buffalo. Still considers himself a Bill and is still friends with a ton of players from that long ago. Loved living in Buffalo and playing on the Bills and he said a lot of players in the league feel that way. They don't want to come here and then as soon as they do, they love it.

My sense is this a pretty good situation for TO in terms of football. His partner WR is a speed guy who almost certainly demands a dt. There is a pro bowl runner attracting attention away from the passing game. The young QB us not likely to be a threat to the TO personality like McNabb or Garcia and does not have the rep of Romo so TO runs the roost,

The problem for TO is that Buffalo ain't LA and this small town does not fit his star needs.

However, Toronto is just up the road and it would help to hace him market the club there.

He only has a 1 year deal so whats the problem do whsts the problem?

I think it just means that TO needs/gets a lot of attention on a national stage, thus Dallas was a "good situation" for him, the Giants or Redskins would have been good for him, etc.

Nothing to do with football, everything to do with the fact that the dude has his own reality TV show.

I recently met an ex-player who played one year on the Bills and three on the 49ers as a back-up in the mid to late 90s. He said the Bills were a much better organization than the 49ers, from the owner to the management to the stars to the back-ups. He hated when he heard he was traded to the Bills and then immediately loved it when he got to Buffalo. Still considers himself a Bill and is still friends with a ton of players from that long ago. Loved living in Buffalo and playing on the Bills and he said a lot of players in the league feel that way. They don't want to come here and then as soon as they do, they love it.

The Sabres' Craig Rivet agrees.

No team with our continued coaching tenure and sad record over the last decade, is attactive to players. I think TO has had a great reception and likes the fans and the city too.

If there was ever a time to be disgruntled about coaching, this is it. I think when DJ personally blows a couple games for us and is outcoached weekly, TO may speak up. TE is not Jeff (if it walks like a duck) Garcia or Tony Romo, TOs problem this time will not be the QB it will be DJ. And rightly so I may add.

Just a prediction.

It's driving me nuts I don't know who you're talking about. I'm assuming since you didn't state the player's name he didn't want you to do that. Would you mind giving us a hint as to who it was?

It's driving me nuts I don't know who you're talking about. I'm assuming since you didn't state the player's name he didn't want you to do that. Would you mind giving us a hint as to who it was?

He wouldn't care if I named him, he'd probably love it. Went out drinking with him again this weekend and he's a maniac, and great guy. ;) But I'll keep you guessing. He didn't play much at all in the short time he was on the Bills, mostly because he was behind two established starters that the Bills coaches loved at that time. That's the first hint.

He wouldn't care if I named him, he'd probably love it. Went out drinking with him again this weekend and he's a maniac, and great guy. ;) But I'll keep you guessing. He didn't play much at all in the short time he was on the Bills, mostly because he was behind two established starters that the Bills coaches loved at that time. That's the first hint.

My first guess is Chidi Ahanotu, but I think it's an incorrect one.

TO is in his mid 30's and going to a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 10 years. I believe he is just referring to the lack of the Bills success and not anything to do with the City. Usually at the end of ones career, a player tends to chose teams on the cusp of a SB and not a team struggling to make the playoffs. Don't read more into this than necessary. If the Bills win, they will attract FA's period...

I think the answer is having the right people in the organization that will be consistent in making good football decisions, from coaching to players, so that every year the Bills can field a team that challenges. Philly, N.E., Indy, Pittsburgh, come to mind. Winning and showing that the organization knows how to do it regularly - that is the way to change that view.

Who is Tony Cline, Alex?

Sean Moran was my first guess, but I know the Bills didn't trade for him and he was here more than one season.