So, where is Brees going?

DeeRay

Would the Chargers consider trading Rivers instead ?  Brees is smoking hot. This isn't a Kitna/Carson Palmer situation. Brees is playing FAR better now than Kitna did in 2003.

Might get more in return for Rivers, plus dump a bigger contract. I'm not endorsing the idea but just bringing it up for a reasonable discussion.

109488[/snapback]

I don't think so...even if it could be accomplished from a salary cap standpoint, it would be a PR nightmare for SD. They had a chance at Robert Gallery who could have protected Brees and sprung LT for years and instead ended up taking Rivers with, in essence, the first overall pick all the while with Brees in the fold. Their front office would look totally inept.

As for Brees, I think that Dallas makes a lot of sense, unless they are totally sold on Drew Henson. I think the dulfelons make a serious play for him but not the Packers. Favre will be around for a couple more years (barring maybe a SB win), IMHO.

I don't think Dallas will bite this offseason, unless Henson supplants Testes during this season and completely bombs. Dallas will need to watch Henson for a year or two before they deem him a bust. I doubt they would throw big money at Brees this offseason.

Arizona is a possibility, too, but we're talking big money that Brees is going to command, and I think only Oakland or Miami will pony up this kind of dough he's going to ask.

Green Bay is possible, but if Favre still thinks he's got another 2-3 years left in him, I doubt they will throw huge money at Brees to ride the pine for that long.

How about Oakland?  Al Davis loves to take guys from AFC West rivals, he's already in California...

109473[/snapback]

Other contenders could be the

49ers (Rattay has been so so)

washington (they always figure out a way to throw big money)

dallas

I don't think so...even if it could be accomplished from a salary cap standpoint, it would be a PR nightmare for SD. They had a chance at Robert Gallery who could have protected Brees and sprung LT for years and instead ended up taking Rivers with, in essence, the first overall pick all the while with Brees in the fold. Their front office would look totally inept.

As for Brees, I think that Dallas makes a lot of sense, unless they are totally sold on Drew Henson. I think the dulfelons make a serious play for him but not the Packers. Favre will be around for a couple more years (barring maybe a SB win), IMHO.

109733[/snapback]

Speaking of Gallery, I read somewhere yesterday that Gallery has been no better than average for the Raiders and is somewhat of a dissappointment so far. It may have been Peter King's article.

Brees is a FA after this season... based on his performance as of late, he's going to command big money.  Thw Chargers ain't gonna franchise him... that would automatically count $10M toward their salary cap... which either they don't have or, if they do, will handcuff them in adding depth.

So, with the changing of the guard in "Fin"land... will it be Fiedler out and Brees in, with Feeley in reserve?  Or with Gannon probably finished due to injury and Collins not answering the bell, will it be Oakland?

Would the Bears or Tampa take a shot?  I don't think so with Grossman/Krenzel  and Griese/Simms already there.

Arizona?

109458[/snapback]

On ESPN about 3 weeks ago Mort said the Packers had him earmarked as their QB of the future and would heavily pursue him at the end of the season. This was before 9 TD passes in 2 weeks. I'm sure they like him even more now. NO, I do not have a link, it was on TV.

Brees is a FA after this season... based on his performance as of late, he's going to command big money.  Thw Chargers ain't gonna franchise him... that would automatically count $10M toward their salary cap... which either they don't have or, if they do, will handcuff them in adding depth.

So, with the changing of the guard in "Fin"land... will it be Fiedler out and Brees in, with Feeley in reserve?  Or with Gannon probably finished due to injury and Collins not answering the bell, will it be Oakland?

Would the Bears or Tampa take a shot?  I don't think so with Grossman/Krenzel  and Griese/Simms already there.

Arizona?

109458[/snapback]

I live in San Diego and the Chargers are tight lipped about the status of Drew Brees.

The Chargers do have sufficient cap space to Franchise Tag Brees. If the team does make the playoffs this year and I believe that this is highly possible, the Chargers in my opinion will apply the one year Franchise Tag on him and then might then turn around and trade him to a team such as Green Bay, Miami or possibly Arizona.

This would give them three 1st round picks to build the franchise and would allow them to start Phillip Rivers next season. Obviously this would set the team back a bit but would present a great future for the Bolts.

The one thing that will not happen is that the Chargers just leave Brees available on the FA market.

I live in San Diego and the Chargers are tight lipped about the status of Drew Brees.

The Chargers do have sufficient  cap space to Franchise Tag Brees.  If the team does make the playoffs this year and I believe that this is highly possible, the Chargers in my opinion will apply the one year Franchise Tag on him and then might then turn around and trade him to a team such as Green Bay, Miami or possibly Arizona.

This would give them three 1st round picks to build the franchise and would allow them to start Phillip Rivers next season.  Obviously this would set the team back a bit but would present a great future for the Bolts.

The one thing that will not happen is that the Chargers just leave Brees available on the FA market.

110466[/snapback]

If Brees is scheduled to become an UFA at the end of the season, the Chargers will find it difficult to trade him IMHO. If they slap him with the FP tag, the trading team would basically have to pay Brees like a top-5 QB, and I seriously doubt anyone does that, what with Manning's cap-busting deal that will factor-into the new FP tag tender. Putting the TP tag on him doesn't help them because they can't demand a pick. Unless there is some other angle, or some team is stupid enough to give Brees a contract worth $10M a year with a gigantic signing bonus, I don't see them being able to trade him.