I can't find a job so now i'm gonna sue my school

MarkAF43

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about Monroe College, but I suspect a lot of local/technical schools are going to be ripe for this kind of thing, given their recent marketing techniques.

I don't know anything about Monroe College, but I suspect a lot of local/technical schools are going to be ripe for this kind of thing, given their recent marketing techniques.

this is one of those situations that isnt necessarily so obvious...perhaps they made a lot of false promises.Or perhaps this girl is just a nut case--we dont know.

they may NOT be providing the services that they promised-altho I doubt they promised to find her a job.

It's only been 3 months in this economy....feelings of entitlement, I love my generation.

Hey ...those of us late baby boomers arent anything to write home about..lol..-I think you young people today-the ones Ive interacted with--are a good generation.

this is one of those situations that isnt necessarily so obvious...perhaps they made a lot of false promises.Or perhaps this girl is just a nut case--we dont know.

they may NOT be providing the services that they promised-altho I doubt they promised to find her a job.

Oh, I doubt they promised her a job, too. But it seems more and more schools are basing their pitch on bettering your career, instead of improving your mind. Jobs > Leaning, based on some of these ad campaigns. I can see lawsuits when a student enrolls, does well and still can't get a job.

Hey ...those of us late baby boomers arent anything to write home about..lol..-I think you young people today-the ones Ive interacted with--are a good generation.

The bad ones from both generations tend to come from the same families, at least in my experience. The parents of the baby boomer generation are the ones that gave us kids everything, leading to the sense of entitlement and not having to work hard for it. I'm glad I didn't have that type of parent.

Yes - I've read this and that through the years about such suits - although I can't recall seeing somebody sink 70K into one of these paper mills.

There must be 3 or 4 outfits that advertise on tv here in Cincy, in the afternoon.

The gov't $$$ flowing into education did the same there as it did with medicine - it distorts the market as the money gets pumped and pumped in, fueling inflation. And new players jump in - these paper mills. It's no coincidence that health care and education have been the leaders in price inflation. Some of the figures for tuition increases, fees and books through the years are eye popping.

I agree.

In the article linked, it said:

"They have not tried hard enough to help me," the frustrated Bronx resident wrote about the school in her lawsuit.

"She's angry," said Thompson's mother, Carol. "She's very angry at her situation. She put all her faith in them, and so did I. They're not making an effort.

It isn't about actually having them "get" her a job... I don't know where people are getting that from... It is about "helping" her find a job.

Big difference between the two, "get" and "help find."

The ultimate in victim mentality. So many variables play into whether you land a job. If she can't interview for crap not he school's fault for example.

Who said anything about landing a job. All I take is that the school is doing nothing or very little to help her find a job. Again, big difference. I wish people would read. The school may have promised to help her. She claims they are doing nothing of the sort.

Who said anything about landing a job. All I take is that the school is doing nothing or very little to help her find a job. Again, big difference. I wish people would read. The school may have promised to help her. She claims they are doing nothing of the sort.

Seems to me that giving her an education and providing a career center (to her credit that may or may not be of value) are help. What happened to the concept of laissez faire? One has to wonder did she do her homework prior to enrolling. Sure the school may have mislead her and if so they should be accountable. On the other hand, as I said before finding a job involves many factors some of which the school may help with and some they have asolutely no control over. Not even a Harvard degree, with honors for that matter, can guarantee a job. It does not hurt but it is not assurance.

Seems to me that giving her an education and providing a career center (to her credit that may or may not be of value) are help. What happened to the concept of laissez faire?

It all depends on what was promised, isn't it? I tend to think this is likely a frivolous suit, but it's hard to know for sure without the details.

It all depends on what was promised, isn't it? I tend to think this is likely a frivolous suit, but it's hard to know for sure without the details.

Exactly. Who knows what they promised her and all she is saying is that they are not helping her enough. Maybe they agreed to help and now that they have their tuition, said see you later.

Why is this any different than other services?

Exactly. Who knows what they promised her and all she is saying is that they are not helping her enough. Maybe they agreed to help and now that they have their tuition, said see you later.

Why is this any different than other services?

If by service you mean an education - she allegedly received one - as marked by a degree.

If you mean career placement - no school can assure a gradute of a job. If they did then they were idiots and should be sued. However, I find it hard to believe that they would have.

She's 27, which means it took her 9 years from high school to get her degree. What has she been doing in the 9 years that usually take a person 4 to complete their degrees-obviously not working, otherwise she'd have some means of support and could have turned the right part time job into a full time one. Maybe the fact that she's 27, hasn't done much work since high school, lives at home with mommy, and just finished college screams out LOSER on job interviews. It is not the responsibility of a college to find employment for its graduates. It is the responsibility of the graduates to find their own job. I hope the judge throws out the case & fines her the legal fees-not that she can afford to pay them. However, if she found a lawyer to take this case, I hope that the lawyer has to pay the cost of this frivolous lawsuit.

She's 27, which means it took her 9 years from high school to get her degree. What has she been doing in the 9 years that usually take a person 4 to complete their degrees-obviously not working, otherwise she'd have some means of support and could have turned the right part time job into a full time one. Maybe the fact that she's 27, hasn't done much work since high school, lives at home with mommy, and just finished college screams out LOSER on job interviews. It is not the responsibility of a college to find employment for its graduates. It is the responsibility of the graduates to find their own job. I hope the judge throws out the case & fines her the legal fees-not that she can afford to pay them. However, if she found a lawyer to take this case, I hope that the lawyer has to pay the cost of this frivolous lawsuit.

You assume a good bit about the woman. On these points I simply say you may be completely wrong.

However, I agree with your point(s) that show the school is far from being in control of finding her a job. For all we know they did or they have at least tried.