How do police agencies hope to enforce "no texting" law?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What specific techniques will police use to enforce the no texting while driving law in NYS?

Will enforcement be comparable to no hand held cell phoning while driving?

Hard to enforce but I do imagine they'll just increase the penalty for anyone that is in an accident and it can be proved they were texting during the accident.

Hard to enforce but I do imagine they'll just increase the penalty for anyone that is in an accident and it can be proved they were texting during the accident.

At first. With time, they'll pull over anyone who "looks like" they're texting while driving.

That's the way it evolved in DC.

At first. With time, they'll pull over anyone who "looks like" they're texting while driving.

That's the way it evolved in DC.

The ban on cell phones has not stopped most people from driving and chatting.

I wish car drivers would stop or severely limit multi-tasking in general!

Pretty easy I'd say. If you are holding and/or looking at any hand-held device, that's enough. Which buttons you are pressing should be immaterial.

I'm not usually big on inventing new reasons to fine people, but I've lost count of the number of times I've seen some clueless bimbo nearly cause an accident while having a cell phone in his/her hand. If I was in charge, the fines would be tripled and enforcement stepped up.

Not wearing a seatbeat isn't putting anyone else in jeopardy and look how much effort is wasted on that silliness.

Pretty easy I'd say. If you are holding and/or looking at any hand-held device, that's enough. Which buttons you are pressing should be immaterial.

I'm not usually big on inventing new reasons to fine people, but I've lost count of the number of times I've seen some clueless bimbo nearly cause an accident while having a cell phone in his/her hand. If I was in charge, the fines would be tripled and enforcement stepped up.

Not wearing a seatbeat isn't putting anyone else in jeopardy and look how much effort is wasted on that silliness.

Huh? Anyway phone records would do it- call placed at 11.58 AM, accident occurred at 11.59.

What really bugs me is all these individual laws handling special cases: one law for talking on the phone, one law for texting, one law for watching TV, one law for reading a book...

There really ought to be a blanket law simply stating: PAY ATTENTION WHEN YOU'RE !@#$ING DRIVING!!!

What really bugs me is all these individual laws handling special cases: one law for talking on the phone, one law for texting, one law for watching TV, one law for reading a book...

There really ought to be a blanket law simply stating: PAY ATTENTION WHEN YOU'RE !@#$ING DRIVING!!!

It's like in CA where they've made smoking on the beach illegal and their justification for the law is due to all the litter. Gee, isn't littering already illegal? What we really need are part time legislators who have limited time to work on the real important stuff.

In today's society where you are required to multi-task most of the day!? Not going to happen.... Shoot it is all I can do to sit still and edit photos for an hour at a time. We are being programed to have or be ADD

There is one in Alexandria, VA... I believe it is called failure to pay full attention and can result in jail time.

What specific techniques will police use to enforce the no texting while driving law in NYS?

Will enforcement be comparable to no hand held cell phoning while driving?

About as easy to enforce as the seatbelt law. Unless someone is texting next to a cop car, they won't get caught.

And it never will. Unless there is stiff fines. A lot of people now do their job/work outside of the contraints of a timeclock... Employers EXPECT it. Which leads me back to the stiff fines comment. It is just the cost of doing business. If say somebody has a very slim chance of getting caught vs. making a ton of money on his job, what do you think they are going to do?

What I am saying is that this behavior is part of the culture.

Never going to happen.

I understand what you guys are saying... Yet, are you for real? You are still part of the "telephone pole" crowd right?

About as easy to enforce as the seatbelt law. Unless someone is texting next to a cop car, they won't get caught.

Exactly. I finally see Bill in NYC's slippery slope. Next thing I will get arrested in my own house for disorderly conduct chatting on this board and calling a cop a jag off... Oh wait, that sorta has happened.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I don't think it should be ticketing people for texting while driving. I think if people are found to have been texting while driving and getting in an accident the fines/penalties should rival those of DUI.