Bills and no huddle

sounds like music to my ears

The Bills conducted Tuesday's training camp practice exclusively out of the no-huddle offense.

Clearly, this is going to be a staple of Buffalo's attack. The up-tempo scheme will encourage Trent Edwards to be more aggressive after playing very conservatively in his first two seasons. Only time will tell how he responds.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for the no-huddle! It's not like anything they've done the past 10 yrs has net great results. It may tire out the defense but also tire out our defense sooner as well. May not work as well in the colder part of the year which comes quick.

I hope that they will be less predictable with their play selection. Last year I could sit on my recliner and almost predict what they were going to do on most plays. I think the offense will be improved, but maybe not as much as we all hope for. First thing is I would be surprised if Dick Jauron game time decisions will suddenly improve after a long track record of being poor in that segment of the game. I also think that the Offensive line will someday become a cohesive unit with it's new additions, I'd be surprised if it's now. Too many new pieces and also rookies. Trent Edwards has not had a good track record in sloppy weather and cold games. I am still waiting to see if these are career trends or growing pains. I think T.Owens will contribute in increased touchdowns and receptions which will help. There are still some holes to fill in the lineup and their is a talent gap between the Bills and obviously N.E., Indy, Pitt, etc.....I think with the youth and difficult schedule that they will start out poorly but grow as the season progresses. Unfortunately, I think they will find themselves at either 2-6 or 3-5 at the midway point of the season. I think they will play better and become a more cohesive unit in the second half of the season and finish with 6 to 8 wins. I will predict 8 wins because I don't want to see 7-9 again! Sure, I want to predict 10-6 like I do most years, but that's my heart speaking there. I think they have some of the pieces, but they are still about 5 solid starters and possibly a coach away from making the playoffs. I know this got off the topic of no-huddle, but it's all inter-related as personnel, coaching, maturity, ability, etc..all play a vital role in determining if the Bills can successfully dictate the game by their use of the no=huddle. I think the games will be fun to watch as long as it's not hurry up to go 3 and out. If that is the case we're going to have a very frustrated defensive unit that will be overworked, and fatigued. All that considered, we can't stand PAT (pardon the pun) and keep trying the same things we have the past several years. So NO HUDDLE Like Rocky would say "GO FOR IT" !

Tony, try paragraphs. I don't say that in a snarky way. But I took one look at your post and skipped past it, and a lot of others will too.

Or go for that full "high on meth" effect, and skip punctuation as well. Either way...

Is Edwards going to call his own plays?

If not, this has no chance of working. Not with a coaching staff who has trouble getting in the plays in a timely fashion in a regular offense.

The coaches can give Trent a handful of plays at the beginning of the drive, but I do believe he'd need to either call his own plays or get something from the coaches during the drive. This isn't a "hurry-up", it's a no-huddle. It just means they don't go into a huddle before the next play, so I don't think this is a huge deal. Besides, it might force the coaches to get their act together.

All of this said, I ask again....WHY IS THIS BEING ADVERTISED? Now that the entire NFL knows the Bills will be running the no-huddle, why can't other coaching staffs prepare for this?

The coaches can give Trent a handful of plays at the beginning of the drive, but I do believe he'd need to either call his own plays or get something from the coaches during the drive. This isn't a "hurry-up", it's a no-huddle. It just means they don't go into a huddle before the next play, so I don't think this is a huge deal. Besides, it might force the coaches to get their act together.

All of this said, I ask again....WHY IS THIS BEING ADVERTISED? Now that the entire NFL knows the Bills will be running the no-huddle, why can't other coaching staffs prepare for this?

"WHY IS THIS BEING ADVERTISED? " - I have wondered this myself. Let me start off my own thoughts with this: We have the worst coaching staff (particularly Jauron) in the league. This fact certainly impacts my thinking about the no huddle announcements. So, it could just be stupidity.

On the other hand, hiding the preparation for this might have been nearly impossible since they obviously plan to practice this a lot. When Jimbo and company employed this, they were starting from a full playbook with an offensive squad that knew a zillion plays. In this case, they are working with a lot of players (particularly the linemen) who will be starting from relative (or absolute) scratch. So not only will they need to learn how to play "no huddle" they also have to learn the plays being called. A more difficult task. So, by focusing on fewer plays (by design), this theoretically makes it easier for the players to know what to do.

As far as opponents preparing for the no-huddle, this involves working on very fast player substitutions, perhaps more "vanilla" player packages (to avoid being caught in a pass or run package), and trying to recognize repetitive plays (this last is not as easy as it may sound since one key to the no huddle is mixing formations up while calling the same play). In other words, there is not a whole lot one can do to prepare for the no huddle. perhaps the biggest thing for defenses is to not panic and to be ready for the snap of the ball.

My conclusion is that it matters much less that the Bills are announcing this as much as how well they (ugh...that word) EXECUTE the plays.

I certainly like that Trent will be in command more. In my opinion, he's the smartest man on the team. I'd have him calling the defense if I could order it.

my 2 cents

-RichNJoisy

Guest dog14787
"WHY IS THIS BEING ADVERTISED? " - I have wondered this myself. Let me start off my own thoughts with this: We have the worst coaching staff (particularly Jauron) in the league. This fact certainly impacts my thinking about the no huddle announcements. So, it could just be stupidity.

On the other hand, hiding the preparation for this might have been nearly impossible since they obviously plan to practice this a lot. When Jimbo and company employed this, they were starting from a full playbook with an offensive squad that knew a zillion plays. In this case, they are working with a lot of players (particularly the linemen) who will be starting from relative (or absolute) scratch. So not only will they need to learn how to play "no huddle" they also have to learn the plays being called. A more difficult task. So, by focusing on fewer plays (by design), this theoretically makes it easier for the players to know what to do.

As far as opponents preparing for the no-huddle, this involves working on very fast player substitutions, perhaps more "vanilla" player packages (to avoid being caught in a pass or run package), and trying to recognize repetitive plays (this last is not as easy as it may sound since one key to the no huddle is mixing formations up while calling the same play). In other words, there is not a whole lot one can do to prepare for the no huddle. perhaps the biggest thing for defenses is to not panic and to be ready for the snap of the ball.

My conclusion is that it matters much less that the Bills are announcing this as much as how well they (ugh...that word) EXECUTE the plays.

I certainly like that Trent will be in command more. In my opinion, he's the smartest man on the team. I'd have him calling the defense if I could order it.

my 2 cents

-RichNJoisy

Teams will practice defending the two minute offense regardless and are usually well prepared. Extra precautions and training under no huddle conditions may occur when teams game plan for Buffalo, but when you give teams extra to prepare for it gives Buffalo the advantage. Its not just the no huddle, they also have T.O. to worry about and with the addition of T.O. all of the sudden Lee becomes allot bigger problem, then the running game and on and on.

It doesn't hurt to advertise the no huddle in my opinion.

This isn't a "hurry-up", it's a no-huddle. It just means they don't go into a huddle before the next play, so I don't think this is a huge deal. Besides, it might force the coaches to get their act together.

I realize that not every no-huddle play is a hurry-up. But I'm not quite clear why one would want to sacrifice those seconds in a huddle, trying to be sure that everybody is on the same page, for setting the OL into position quickly as the clock winds down.

As long as the ball is dead (not snapped), the defense can substitute. And if you set early, doesn't that in some degree, tip off the D? I really don't see a lot of sense to a no-huddle not resulting in a quick snap to catch a D unaware, fatigue the DL (and also your OL players), or if you are battling the clock.

There is no hiding it. Almost the entire training camp is open the to the public, and you can bet every cent you own that the Pats* and other teams have scouts at these practices, not to mention the preseason games. This isn't the same as going to a hurry-up offense in the middle of the game to try to catch the opposition off guard. When you're going to become a no-huddle team, which it really appears to be what the Bills are doing, you have to game plan keeping in mind your opponent is gaming planning for a no-huddle team. It is no longer about catching anyone off guard; it is about creating different favorable match-ups than you could with a traditional offense.

The Bills have put so much emphasize on getting players with intelligence and athletic mobility, this is the obvious step. I for one am optimistic.

True, that ("no-huddle" vs. "hurry up").

But every time I think about this, I still come back to this coaching staff's demonstrated difficulty getting plays to the field on time. Even a no-huddle exacerbates that, because even if it's not a hurry-up it still takes more time for the QB to let the other 10 guys know what the play is (and I've never seen a no-huddle that wasn't intended to force a higher-pace game, so theoretically they still shouldn't be taking the entire play-clock to do it either).

And like you said...it might force the coaches to get their sh-- together. But after watching them the past three years...you want to put money on that happening?

I realize that not every no-huddle play is a hurry-up. But I'm not quite clear why one would want to sacrifice those seconds in a huddle, trying to be sure that everybody is on the same page, for setting the OL into position quickly as the clock winds down.

As long as the ball is dead (not snapped), the defense can substitute. And if you set early, doesn't that in some degree, tip off the D? I really don't see a lot of sense to a no-huddle not resulting in a quick snap to catch a D unaware, fatigue the DL (and also your OL players), or if you are battling the clock.

Watch Peyton Manning. He is so proficient at reading the defense, the Colts long ago decided it was a better to give those seconds normally spent in the huddle to Manning to work his magic at the line.

Yes, the D can substitute, but try getting a defensive lineman off the field and a linebacker on the field without getting caught out of position.

"Setting" early is not required. The linemen are not "set" until they put a hand down, and in the no-huddle, they often play without putting a hand down at all. Of course, receivers and backs can move around, as long as you don't have more than one in motion as the ball is snapped. But a no-huddle team has to be able to run a large percentage of its plays from any one set.

There is no hiding it. Almost the entire training camp is open the to the public, and you can best every cent you own that the Pats* and other teams have scouts at these practices, not to mention the preseason games. This isn't the same as going to a hurry-up offense in the middle of the game to try to catch the opposition off guard. When you're going to become a no-huddle team, which it really appears to be what the Bills are doing, you have to game plan keeping in mind your opponent is gaming planning for a no-huddle team. It is no longer about catching anyone off guard; it is about creating different favorable match-ups than you could with a traditional offense.

The Bills have put so much emphasize on getting players with intelligence and athletic mobility, this is the obvious step. I for one am optimistic.

:rolleyes::thumbsup: Why did I ever let PPP come between us? :worthy: :worthy:

There is no hiding it. Almost the entire training camp is open the to the public, and you can best every cent you own that the Pats* and other teams have scouts at these practices, not to mention the preseason games. This isn't the same as going to a hurry-up offense in the middle of the game to try to catch the opposition off guard. When you're going to become a no-huddle team, which it really appears to be what the Bills are doing, you have to game plan keeping in mind your opponent is gaming planning for a no-huddle team. It is no longer about catching anyone off guard; it is about creating different favorable match-ups than you could with a traditional offense.

That and the fact that not advertising it means the surprise will last a grand total of one play.

Watch Peyton Manning. He is so proficient at reading the defense, the Colts long ago decided it was a better to give those seconds normally spent in the huddle to Manning to work his magic at the line.

Yes, the D can substitute, but try getting a defensive lineman off the field and a linebacker on the field without getting caught out of position.

"Setting" early is not required. The linemen are not "set" until they put a hand down, and in the no-huddle, they often play without putting a hand down at all. Of course, receivers and backs can move around, as long as you don't have more than one in motion as the ball is snapped. But a no-huddle team has to be able to run a large percentage of its plays from any one set.

Manning vs. Edwards...

Regarding catching a def. substitution - doesn't that means a quicker snap?

I can't see how BUF, with a young QB and a jumbled OL with a peppering of rookies and an RT playing LT is going to knock the opposition back on its' heels via a no-huddle. I'm inclined to expect offside penalties and botched plays.

This all seems like hype to sell tix. Fairchild was lauded as the guy. Then Schonert came along...big things were going to happen.

I'll wait and see if this no-huddle turns one of the NFL's moribund offenses for the past several years, into a world-beating dynamo.

Manning vs. Edwards...

Regarding catching a def. substitution - doesn't that means a quicker snap?

It means everyone keeping their eyes on Edwards and being ready for a snap at any time, yes. I've read there is a standing play or two for the no-huddle to be run anytime a quick snap is needed. They are usually a QB keeper and a quick out to a pre-selected WR.

I can't see how BUF, with a young QB and a jumbled OL with a peppering of rookies and an RT playing LT is going to knock the opposition back on its' heels via a no-huddle. I'm inclined to expect offside penalties and botched plays.

If the Bills keep looking at Edwards as a young QB, he will never be a veteran. Making this change must come with the removal of any and all proverbial handcuffs he's worn his first two years. This offensive scheme can give the linemen advantages. For one, it will force big DTs, often used in rotations, to stay on the field longer than they want and in undesirable situations. Putting our linemen up against run stuffers on passing plays and passrushers on running plays would be good for us.

This all seems like hype to sell tix. Fairchild was lauded as the guy. Then Schonert came along...big things were going to happen.

I cannot believe you're saying this move is to sell tickets. Jauron and Schonert know this is their last chance. I am am sure of that. If this doesn't work, they're not going to work for the Bills anymore. I have to believe the coaches are focused on winning not tickets at this point. Oh, and this is a much riskier move than just trying to do what they can with a traditional offense. When the no-huddle doesn't work, it can turn very ugly.

I'll wait and see if this no-huddle turns one of the NFL's moribund offenses for the past several years, into a world-beating dynamo.

Wouldn't that be great? Who knows if it will work, I am just talking about the theories behind the scheme. And I can see the team has been building over the past two years for this. So now is the time. If it works, great! If it doesn't, back to the damn drawing board with new coaches. But that's just where the Bills are at this point.