Random, anonymous scout rips Maybin

I purposely titled the thread the way I did b/c I'm trying to avoid a slew of posts that simply argue that we should discount the source because it's just some random, anonymous scout. What I'd prefer (fat chance, I know) is a real discussion about the point this random, anonymous scout is making. Plus I like PFW's anonymous tidbits - credible or not, they're always interesting. I'll confess I didn't see Maybin play much in college, but from what I've read about him he's a different ilk than Gholston. And although I didn't love the pick (I wanted Ayers), the Bills don't usually draft guys who aren't *tough* or who don't love football. Thoughts?

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/07/2...y-with-handoffs

• "The problem with (Jets OLB) Vernon Gholston is that he never made plays (at Ohio State). He was not tough. He was not competitive. He was stiff — the same as (Bills DE) Aaron Maybin. They are both one-trick ponies who won off the edge against bad competition. They could get away with it in college because the skill level is not very good. At this (NFL) level, one-trick ponies without any heart need to have a special trait to survive — special get-off (speed) or special competitiveness."

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without going into Maybin's skill level (because honestly I'll I've seen of him are from the highlight videos during the draft days), it does seem that he has an intense desire to play football and be the best at it. Others notice it in him too, otherwise guys like Ray Lewis or Lavar Arrington wouldn't be wasting their time mentoring him.

The skill set is there, I just feel it might be 2 years before we see it fully on the field

I purposely titled the thread the way I did b/c I'm trying to avoid a slew of posts that simply argue that we should discount the source because it's just some random, anonymous scout. What I'd prefer (fat chance, I know) is a real discussion about the point this random, anonymous scout is making. Plus I like PFW's anonymous tidbits - credible or not, they're always interesting. I'll confess I didn't see Maybin play much in college, but from what I've read about him he's a different ilk than Gholston. And although I didn't love the pick (I wanted Ayers), the Bills don't usually draft guys who aren't *tough* or who don't love football. Thoughts?

• "The problem with (Jets OLB) Vernon Gholston is that he never made plays (at Ohio State). He was not tough. He was not competitive. He was stiff — the same as (Bills DE) Aaron Maybin. They are both one-trick ponies who won off the edge against bad competition. They could get away with it in college because the skill level is not very good. At this (NFL) level, one-trick ponies without any heart need to have a special trait to survive — special get-off (speed) or special competitiveness."

wasn't that what he supposedly had?

"one-trick ponies without any heart"?

Okay, I'm biased. But having watched Maybin play, I have a REAL problem with the bolded part of that statement.

Okay, I'm biased. But having watched Maybin play, I have a REAL problem with the bolded part of that statement.

Yeah, that's the part that struck a chord with me too - seems to go against everything I've heard about him.

I can't be the only one snickering at that, can I?

I purposely titled the thread the way I did b/c I'm trying to avoid a slew of posts that simply argue that we should discount the source because it's just some random, anonymous scout.

Good luck with that. Ad hominem rebuttals are part and parcel of what you get here.

Not sure the "without any heart" applies to Gholston either. When one drafts an undersized one-dimensional player, they get what they selected. No need to be surprised.

I purposely titled the thread the way I did b/c I'm trying to avoid a slew of posts that simply argue that we should discount the source because it's just some random, anonymous scout. ...

Sorry, this "article" is even worse then you thought it would be. Any article that starts out with "random thoughts by scouts who wish to be anonymous" is about as credible as Skooby asking Russ Brandon to "Git er' done Russ" and sign Vick.

Here's a thought about these scouts that wish to remain "anonymous"; if they are real, and they did talk to someone at PFW, (and who knows if the PFW-writers just made those thoughts up anyway?), then they should grow balls and tell us who they are, or just shut the heck up in the first place. :blush:

Sorry, this "article" is even worse then you thought it would be. Any article that starts out with "random thoughts by scouts who wish to be anonymous" is about as credible as Skooby asking Russ Brandon to "Git er' done Russ" and sign Vick.

Here's a thought about these scouts that wish to remain "anonymous"; if they are real, and they did talk to someone at PFW, (and who knows if the PFW-writers just made those thoughts up anyway?), then they should grow balls and tell us who they are, or just shut the heck up in the first place. :blush:

So much for that. :w00t:

Without going into Maybin's skill level (because honestly I'll I've seen of him are from the highlight videos during the draft days), it does seem that he has an intense desire to play football and be the best at it. Others notice it in him too, otherwise guys like Ray Lewis or Lavar Arrington wouldn't be wasting their time mentoring him.

The skill set is there, I just feel it might be 2 years before we see it fully on the field

I can't be the only one snickering at that, can I?

Gholston will probably blow up in Rex Ryan's system.

i share the same feelings as these 3 posts.

If Maybin is a bust at DE I don't think it will be because of lack of heart - it will be because of lack of size especially the oft mentioned power plant- but it's really hard to judge, because Maybin is two or three years younger than other Bills rookies so he might have more growth potential- I think he's around 250 now so he might eventually be able to maintain 270.

I have nothing to base this on, but I don't have a good feeling in my gut at all about Maybin. Too many annonymous criticisms of him and the talk of already moving positions bothers me too. Yeah, I know that is a pretty pessimistic view, but it is just how I feel.

He could be Dwight Freeney or Erik Flowers. Nobody knows, not even OBD. That's why the need to get him into camp to see what he can do.... time will tell, we just need to be patient and give him 2-3 years to show some promise. But anybody who thinks he going to come in and start from game one, looking like Bruce Smith in his prime, is going to be disappointed.

I have to agree- as an Ohio State fan, this is exactly what I thought of Gholston and it also represents what I think about Maybin