"Trent will be tremendous"

Pitta

I like Jaws as an analysis and an evaluator of talent and he isn't a TFAG (Typical Football Analysis Guy). He tends to talk specifics and avoids throwing out a bunch of cliches. I think it is a good sign that he likes Edwards. HOWEVER I think he has said similar things about JP Losman so my optimism is tempered a little bit.

As said hundreds of times already, 2009 is a make or break year for Trent, our current coaching staff, and this core of players. If we fail to make the playoffs again this franchise will make drastic changes next offseason. I look for Trent to answer the call and have a breakout season with a full year of starting experience under his belt, the acquisition of Owens and Rhodes, the no-huddle offense, more Lynch, Jackson, Evans, Steve Johnson, etc. My main concern with Trent is that he stays healthy. If he does, this is a dangerous team that should make a run for a wildcard spot.

As said hundreds of times already, 2009 is a make or break year for Trent, our current coaching staff, and this core of players. If we fail to make the playoffs again this franchise will make drastic changes next offseason. I look for Trent to answer the call and have a breakout season with a full year of starting experience under his belt, the acquisition of Owens and Rhodes, the no-huddle offense, more Lynch, Jackson, Evans, Steve Johnson, etc. My main concern with Trent is that he stays healthy. If he does, this is a dangerous team that should make a run for a wildcard spot.

This is Edwards 2nd full year as a starter in this league and it is make or break for him? Would you cut Sanchez or Stafford after 2-3 years in the league?

This is Edwards 2nd full year as a starter in this league and it is make or break for him? Would you cut Sanchez or Stafford after 2-3 years in the league?

Sometimes Money talks....Sanchez and Stafford have too much invested in them that those teams cannot just rip their contracts and move on...But with Edwards being a 3rd round pick, the Bills can, if they chose to. I hope TE turns out to be the QB of the future and carry this team on his shoulder. This is a make or break season because this is a make or break year for Jauron too....If Jauron is fired and replaced by some one else, they may also bring in their own system and own QB. It will be a very exciting off season at the end of 2009 either ways. I hope it is the former, where the Bills go deep into the playoffs and Edwards secures his starting position for years to come.

His rookie season he unseated Losman as the starter about halfway through the year, no? This is a make or break year for Trent and our current core because if we fail to make the playoffs again, Jauron and his coaching staff will most certainly be fired. With a new coach comes a new philosophy, and as seen in Denver, Kansas City, Miami, Atlanta, etc. often times there are various roster shakeups, and seeing as quarterback is the most critical position on the team, I think there is a very good chance Trent gets the boot if a new coach/GM is hired.

If McDaniels was looking at options to replace Cutler (a Pro Bowl talent and rising star who has put up much gaudier numbers than Edwards) when he took over, what makes you think a new coach wouldn't come in and decide Trent Edwards isn't the answer?

Joe Pisarcik? Trent has not pulled a bone-headed play like that. Losman was the one who played like Joe Pisarcik. For those who do not remember Joe Pisarcik his most famous play is called "The Fumble" by NY Jints fans. I know Jaws is from Lackawanna but he is acting like a NJ blond with bleached roots.

When Losman came into the NFL- Jaworski rated the top 4 QB's in the draft in this order for future NFL success:

1. Manning

2. Roethlisberger

3. Losman

4. Rivers

Not to mention--wasn't he all over Kellen Clemons a few years ago?

Yeah-just looked it up.

"I watched every game of his college career, every throw he made, and based on game performance I had him rated No. 1 amongst the quarterbacks in this draft," Jaworski said of Clemens.

He rated Clemons ahead of Cutler.

I've listened to Jaworski for years and take his anaylsis with a grain of salt. Blah,blah, blah. :rolleyes:

When Losman came into the NFL- Jaworski rated the top 4 QB's in the draft in this order for future NFL success:

1. Manning

2. Roethlisberger

3. Losman

4. Rivers

Yeah-just looked it up.

"I watched every game of his college career, every throw he made, and based on game performance I had him rated No. 1 amongst the quarterbacks in this draft," Jaworski said of Clemens.

I've listened to Jaworski for years and take his anaylsis with a grain of salt. Blah,blah, blah. :rolleyes:

Yes, Jaws never met a QB he didn't like.

1. Manning

2. Roethlisberger

3. Losman

4. Rivers

Yeah-just looked it up.

It's not that Jaworski's wrong. It's just that NOBODY can say for sure who will be a great QB, until it happens. It's largely guesswork. That's why there are so many high-round QB busts.

Jaws is good, but nobody is all that good at what he's trying to do here.

We'll see.

What worries me is the drop-off in play he showed last season; your QB needs to be consistent and be able to finish the season strong in the elements.

He went from possible MVP votes in the first 6 games to a QB too afraid or unable to throw the ball down the field by years end. The Cleveland game was frightening- he completely turtled after struggling early.

More importantly, he has also never stayed healthy for a whole season his entire college AND pro career. That really worries me because even if he turns the corner this year, what good is he on the bench?

1. Manning

2. Roethlisberger

3. Losman

4. Rivers

Yeah-just looked it up.

Well to be fair to Jaws we still don't know if Kellen Clemons is good or bad he hasn't really gotten a chance yet to prove he can't do it. All Clemons has gotten is a few starts on a terrible Jets team in place of a injured Chad Pennington. Also the fact that he had Roethlisberger ahead of Rivers is a good analysis while having Rivers below Losman is terrible.

Manning ahead of Roethlisberger meh we don't know yet but odds are they won't be too far apart when all is said and done.

as Dick says, he has a lot to learn

unfortunately, the Bills don't have any coaches capable of teaching him how to be a quality NFL starter

maybe Trent can try some home schooling

We can't blame the OL if Trent isn't successful. He has enough weapons that he should have no excuses.

As patch work as this line is at THIS point, i think all of the weapons that we have now will make this line look alot better then it seems, if that makes any sense. The 2008 Steelers are my case in point. I was watching a replay of the Chargers and Steelers playoff game earlier, and Ben was pressured on almost every play. The difference was that they have play makers in Holmes, Ward, Parker and Heath Miller.

Only now we have more. You can't blitz us without risking being burned by either Owens, Evans, Reed, Shouman now if mini camp was kind of an indicator, or any of our very receiving savvy backs coming out of the back field. I think this line is more then capeable of giving Trent the three seconds he will need to be able to get the ball away.

We can't blame the OL if Trent isn't successful. He has enough weapons that he should have no excuses.

As patch work as this line is at THIS point, i think all of the weapons that we have now will make this line look alot better then it seems, if that makes any sense. The 2008 Steelers are my case in point. I was watching a replay of the Chargers and Steelers playoff game earlier, and Ben was pressured on almost every play. The difference was that they have play makers in Holmes, Ward, Parker and Heath Miller.

Only now we have more. You can't blitz us without risking being burned by either Owens, Evans, Reed, Shouman now if mini camp was kind of an indicator, or any of our very receiving savvy backs coming out of the back field. I think this line is more then capeable of giving Trent the three seconds he will need to be able to get the ball away.

Good point an offensive line can look better if a QB has a better and quicker release point. The 2008 Cardinals Offensive line couldn't stop the Eagles from getting to Kurt Warner but right as Warner was about to take the sack he got the ball out to one of his many weapons and the Cardinals went to the Super Bowl.

I think if Trent is up to the task playing through the growing pains of an offensive line could actually help him down the road. I just hope he develops a quick release and stays healthy especially if he is going to have to take a few extra hits.

Good point an offensive line can look better if a QB has a better and quicker release point. The 2008 Cardinals Offensive line couldn't stop the Eagles from getting to Kurt Warner but right as Warner was about to take the sack he got the ball out to one of his many weapons and the Cardinals went to the Super Bowl.

I think if Trent is up to the task playing through the growing pains of an offensive line could actually help him down the road. I just hope he develops a quick release and stays healthy especially if he is going to have to take a few extra hits.

His release isn't too bad actually. The key to the K-Gun offense is quick decision making and accuracy, and I think those are two of Trent's strongest points. Until he actually finishes a whole season though, his health will always be a question mark.

And don't forget communication, everyone has to be on the same page. Edwards is accurate and his timing is very good, but he and the rest of the guys on offense need to develop a high level of understanding on the field for this to work efficiently. Like for example getting the rookie lineman into camp on time to work on that...