Possible trouble brewing with the #10 pick

In a development that may directly affect when the Bills and #11 pick Aaron Maybin agree to terms, Matt Maiocco, a very respected beat writer following the 49ers is hearing that #10 pick Michael Crabtree and the 49ers are far apart in their negotiations. He further mentions that Crabtree's agent is Eugene Parker who is not shy about advising his clients to hold out when he thinks it might be needed.

"At least four of Parker's clients had contract issues last season. Bills tackle Jason Peters skipped 43 days and missed the season opener. Rams running back Steven Jackson held out for 27 days before signing a new contract. Bears return man Devin Hester did not report for the first two days of camp before signing a new deal. And Cardinals rookie cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie missed two practices before signing his contract."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/0...-stalemate.html

Maiocco speculates that Crabtree and Parker are arguing that they deserve more money than the #10 slot because Crabtree slid due to injury concerns. There were other factors besides the injury though. Reportedly Browns coach Eric Mangini was turned off to Crabtree because he brought an entourage with him to Cleveland for a pre-draft visit. More recently:

"A 49ers source told me (Maiocco) this week, however, of an episode this offseason that rubbed some of his teammates the wrong way. The source said that Crabtree, rehabbing his foot, showed up late for a meeting, prompting coach Mike Singletary to prescribe extra running for the entire team. Crabtree, per the source, did not say a word to his teammates about it - no apology."

IMO if they are asking for more money than is slotted to the #10 pick (with inflation, of course) then they can go get stuffed. He was chosen where he was chosen. Everette Brown and Michael Johnson and Rey Maualuga are not getting paid for where they were projected to go. They are being paid for where they were drafted.

One other factor which is muddling first round signings is that the two quarterbacks taken, Stafford and Sanchez, both received very generous deals. As is typically the case, the NFL teams are having a hard time making the point that quarterbacks typically get a premium over other players drafted in the same slot.

Long story short, because of these above two factors, the Bills might be victimized a bit this year in their attempts to get Maybin to camp in timely fashion.

Honestly I could care less when Maybin shows up. He is going to be a situational pass rusher at best the whole year. It won't take long to learn "go get the QB". What is ridiculous is the fact that at least one and perhaps as may as all three of the other unsigned draftess may be starters and they are not in camp yet. Honestly who gives a cr$P about TO if we have no o-line.

I think I read somewhere that Maybin's agent likes to wait for the guy before his pick to sign so he can get a good idea of what's happening money wise!! :wallbash: :wallbash:

Yeah I think most of us have read that one. So that makes at least three factors. In addition the case has been made that the Bills are generally a team which likes for other teams to set the market. So that is four factors (agent waits, Bills wait, Crabtree, highly-drafted QBs). However you cut it up, the stars don't seem to be aligning in the Bills favor as far as getting Maybin to St John Fisher on time...the external factors are not promising.

Honestly I could care less when Maybin shows up. He is going to be a situational pass rusher at best the whole year. It won't take long to learn "go get the QB". What is ridiculous is the fact that at least one and perhaps as may as all three of the other unsigned draftess may be starters and they are not in camp yet. Honestly who gives a cr$P about TO if we have no o-line.

You mean that "you couldn't care less" but I disagree sharper in that one of the subtexts running through the offseason is that the Bills want to move Maybin around the defense in multiple positions, at DE and LB and give him as much responsibility as he can handle. He could play a significant role as a defensive weapon, kind of like a defensive wildcat.

I agree with you on Woods and Levitre for the O-line choreopgraphy and I also think it's important for Byrd to be in as soon as possible too because he missed many OTAs due to Oregon's academic schedule and because the Bills want him to compete for a starting job.

I'm not usually one to fret over the slow rate of signings but considering the number of highly drafted rookies the Bills want to have contribute this year, I admit to being a bit concerned.

Here's the latest report from PFT.

"It's Day Two of the Aaron Maybin holdout, and multiple sources tell us that the Bills and the eleventh overall pick in the draft aren't even remotely close to doing a deal.

In fact, we hear the two sides barely are talking."

Florio doesn't link another story...he says this is from his own sources of which over the recent years he's cultivated many credible ones. I know there are those here who give Florio little credibility. Those people tend to bring up ancient history in making the case against him.

As in earlier posts on this thread, the Crabtree situation and the two highly-drafted quarterbacks have slowed down the signing process considerably IMO.

This it unfortunate because there's a trickle down effect and the Bills have two firsts and two seconds to sign.

It's ironic that the Bills seem to have a decent working relationship with Drew Rosenhaus, yet Eugene Parker has become the devil incarnate to some fans on this board.

One thing you can say about both agents: they get what they want in most instances for their clients.

It's ironic that the Bills seem to have a decent working relationship with Drew Rosenhaus, yet Eugene Parker has become the devil incarnate to some fans on this board.

One thing you can say about both agents: they get what they want in most instances for their clients.

Because Parker is better and smarter than Russ, but less sweet, maybe. Rosenhaus is also better and smarter, but, he talks to Russ like he really, really likes him. So Russ goes easier to the slaughter for Drew.

Both have used and abused the bills FO, they should not be demonized because our guy is weak. They should be demonized for plenty of other reasons though, I'm sure.

If you think Drew does not use what he did to the Bills for McGahee, and Parker does not use what he did to the bills for Peters, in their recruitment talks to every potential draftee client, you are dead wrong. Those ware the favorite stories of the respective agents, I promise.

As far as signing Maybin, in a perfect world it would be great if # 12 and #10 were signed sealed and delivered, but last I checked the world is rarely perfect.

The RUMOR that Crabtree's signing is unlikely is a pain, but no where near the problem if we heard that the #12 pick is problematic and refuses to sign.

Virtually by definition, the #12 must be signed and Maybin's agent and the Bills will react based on the public reports of this signing which must be declared to the league are released. The #10 amounts are also critical to the slotting, but by past practice this contract will be estimated by the Bills and Maybin's agents. They will simply estimate what the #10 normally would get to figure out the slotting. What Crabtree asserts he deserves because they feel he should have been a #6 or higher is not a drop dead certainty to delay Maybin's signing.

In fact, with this word widely out it make it far more likely and reasonable that the two signings will not be totally linked.

As cocky as Rosenhaus appears to be, his clients rarely ever hold out. It is something he prides himself on. Parker's clients, on the other hand, have a history of it (Steven Jackson, Peters).

Sad but true. Unfortunately, doing things the wrong way too often pays dividends.

Is Maybin going to be affected more by #10 or #12? It seems that 12 is more important - the one thing Maybin can't do (or his agent can't let happen, rather) is for him to take less money than the guy picked after him. I guess it's the Bills who want to be sure they don't break the ceiling, but #10 is their problem, #12 is Maybin's.

Is Maybin going to be affected more by #10 or #12? It seems that 12 is more important - the one thing Maybin can't do (or his agent can't let happen, rather) is for him to take less money than the guy picked after him. I guess it's the Bills who want to be sure they don't break the ceiling, but #10 is their problem, #12 is Maybin's.

They're both a concern for both Maybin and the Bills. If Crabtree signs first, the bar is set on the high end. If Moreno is signed, there's your floor for the Bills offer and they'll go up from there. Thankfully, neither 10 or 12 are QB's. Leodis McKelvin's contract from last year will also factor in since he was #11 (5 years, $19.4M).

2.41 - CB, Darius Butler, Connecticut - Signed - 4-years, $4.325M ($2.735M guaranteed)

2.43 - DE, Everette Brown, Florida State - Signed - 4-years, $4.3M ($2.685M guaranteed)

Seems like the Bills have a pretty well defined range to sign Byrd and get him in. Let's say 4 years 4.3125M with 2.71M guaranteed.

I started this post yesterday because there were rumblings that the deal between the San Francisco 49ers and Michael Crabtree, the 10th overall pick, were holding up other first round deals.

"In a development that may directly affect when the Bills and #11 pick Aaron Maybin agree to terms, Matt Maiocco, a very respected beat writer following the 49ers is hearing that #10 pick Michael Crabtree and the 49ers are far apart in their negotiations. He further mentions that Crabtree's agent is Eugene Parker who is not shy about advising his clients to hold out when he thinks it might be needed.

"At least four of Parker's clients had contract issues last season. Bills tackle Jason Peters skipped 43 days and missed the season opener. Rams running back Steven Jackson held out for 27 days before signing a new contract. Bears return man Devin Hester did not report for the first two days of camp before signing a new deal. And Cardinals rookie cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie missed two practices before signing his contract."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/0...-stalemate.html

Maiocco speculates that Crabtree and Parker are arguing that they deserve more money than the #10 slot because Crabtree slid due to injury concerns. There were other factors besides the injury though. Reportedly Browns coach Eric Mangini was turned off to Crabtree because he brought an entourage with him to Cleveland for a pre-draft visit. More recently:

"A 49ers source told me (Maiocco) this week, however, of an episode this offseason that rubbed some of his teammates the wrong way. The source said that Crabtree, rehabbing his foot, showed up late for a meeting, prompting coach Mike Singletary to prescribe extra running for the entire team. Crabtree, per the source, did not say a word to his teammates about it - no apology."

This theory has grown stronger in the last 24 hours or so.

According to the Denver Post:

"One league source said the hold up with first-round negotiations _ only four of 32 had signed by Monday morning _ was San Francisco’s Michael Crabtree. The receiver from Texas Tech was a No. 10 overall draft pick but he is seeking top 3 money."