Mark Buehrle throws perfect game

FluffHead

what was his name Wise? what a catch....did he just enter the game? he doesn't have a line in the box score that espn just showed

Yea it was Wise. I am not sure when he entered the game, I just tuned into the 9th inning when ESPN picked it up...

Was the game on ESPN?

MLB Network joined in the 9th. And yes, I do enjoy working from home. DeWayne Wise's catch in that situation will stick with you. The greatest "robbing a home run" catches in my memory were (1) Ken Griffey Sr. running up the left field wall in Yankee Stadium circa '83, (2) Torii Hunter's robbing Barry Bonds in the All-Star Game, (3) Carl Crawford snatching Brad Hawpe's HR in the AS game just last week & (4) that ridiculous catch that Gary Matthews Jr made a couple of years ago. This one trumps them all just because it represented the 18th perfecto in MLB history. Amazing. [Tangent: Tom Browning threw his perfect game the night I drove to college for the first time. My dad and I listened to it on the radio. Thought you should know that.]

One one I found interesting: this was the first ML no-hitter that Steve Stone has ever seen in person. Seems odd for a guy to pitch for a number of years then broadcast for nearly another 30 before seeing a no-no.

Turned it on just as Wise made the catch...WOW!

Even though I hate the White Sox, it's still a good thing to see. :devil:

Anyone else notice how fast Buehrle was pitching in the 9th? He's fast under normal circumstances, but in the ninth, it seemed like he was taking the throw from the catcher, stepping on the rubber, and winding up in the span of about five seconds.

Doesn't our president have more important things to do than pay attention to a baseball game????????????? :thumbsup:

I am just kidding by the way.....but I am sure that there are people out there that are completely up in arms over him doing this.....

Amazing event! Even the Prez -a diehard White Sox fan- was dialed in on Air Force 1 and called Buehrle after the game. He told him he owed Wise a steak dinner for that perfect game -saving catch. :rolleyes:

Great stuff!

Turned it on just as Wise made the catch...WOW!

Even though I hate the White Sox, it's still a good thing to see. :thumbsup:

Anyone else notice how fast Buehrle was pitching in the 9th? He's fast under normal circumstances, but in the ninth, it seemed like he was taking the throw from the catcher, stepping on the rubber, and winding up in the span of about five seconds.

I think I heard he averaged 54 seconds per at bat throughout the game.

MLB Network joined in the 9th. And yes, I do enjoy working from home. DeWayne Wise's catch in that situation will stick with you. The greatest "robbing a home run" catches in my memory were (1) Ken Griffey Sr. running up the left field wall in Yankee Stadium circa '83, (2) Torii Hunter's robbing Barry Bonds in the All-Star Game, (3) Carl Crawford snatching Brad Hawpe's HR in the AS game just last week & (4) that ridiculous catch that Gary Matthews Jr made a couple of years ago. This one trumps them all just because it represented the 18th perfecto in MLB history. Amazing. [Tangent: Tom Browning threw his perfect game the night I drove to college for the first time. My dad and I listened to it on the radio. Thought you should know that.]

One one I found interesting: this was the first ML no-hitter that Steve Stone has ever seen in person. Seems odd for a guy to pitch for a number of years then broadcast for nearly another 30 before seeing a no-no.

More interesting stuff:

Wise was on the ATL team that Randy Johnson pitched his perfect game against.

Also, I posted this in the baseball forum:

A little tidbit that I wonder if people know about? Buehrle's no-no back in 2007 against the Rangers was almost a perfect game... In fact he faced the minimum 27. He walked Sosa, then picked him off at first.

Oh... Another insteresting stat... out of the 18 perfect games ever pitched in MLB... The one yesterday was the first to have a grand slam in.

I haven't really crunched the numbers... But, roughly to ballpark them... Over 100+ years there have been 18 perfect games... What is that roughly? 1 in every say 20,000 or so games... Now factor in the grand salami thing by the perfect team... That never happened in how many games ever played... :thumbsup::rolleyes:

How much more "perfect" could that day have been for the Sox? All I can think of is getting 27 straight strikeouts!! Or if a Sox player hit for the cycle... :wallbash:

And man... Is Guillen the mojo-man? Putting Wise in there in the ninth after sitting 8 innings on the bench? He wanted "range" in CF... Boy did he get it!

I think I heard he averaged 54 seconds per at bat throughout the game.

Normally MB works fast, but AJP (normal catcher) wasn't cacthing... Castro was making his first appearance as catcher... And MB said they decided to go with whatever he (Castro) threw down signal wise.

Smart move!

actually the sample size is only 18...you have to throw out all non-perfect games, so really, 1/18 is not that impressive a stat :thumbsup:

Now factor in the grand salami thing by the perfect team... That never happened in how many games ever played... :rolleyes::wallbash:

Doesn't our president have more important things to do than pay attention to a baseball game????????????? :thumbsup:

I am just kidding by the way.....but I am sure that there are people out there that are completely up in arms over him doing this.....

I wish some presidents had stuck to baseball altogether. :rolleyes:

actually the sample size is only 18...you have to throw out all non-perfect games, so really, 1/18 is not that impressive a stat :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

There have to be bunch of other factors/intangibles... Like the guy throwing a PG is usually good... That means the other team has a better on the mound. Didn't have TB have Kazmir starting?