Harvard Scholar Arrested for Being Black

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this story: Black scholar agrees to beer with Obama, policeman.

As critical as I've been of some of Obama's policies, I have to say I like this one. World would be a better place if people just calmed down and had a beer together once and a while. :wallbash:

Muslims don't drink. Which to be honest is probably a big reason why they are pricks. Damn irish get drunk, blow a few things up, punch their brothers and they forget all about it the next day.

As critical as I've been of some of Obama's policies, I have to say I like this one. World would be a better place if people just calmed down and had a beer together once and a while. :wallbash:

Actually yeah, I liked that. I thought he really screwed up when he opened his mouth in the first place, but credit where it is due, nice recovery.

Muslims don't drink. Which to be honest is probably a big reason why they are pricks. Damn irish get drunk, blow a few things up, punch their brothers and they forget all about it the next day.

We don't punch our brothers every time we are drunk.

Just sometimes.

As critical as I've been of some of Obama's policies, I have to say I like this one. World would be a better place if people just calmed down and had a beer together once and a while. :unsure:

It was a very good recovery from his mistake of calling it "stupidly". At least he was man enough to admit it, which does seem to be one of his positive traits about him.

It was a very good recovery from his mistake of calling it "stupidly". At least he was man enough to admit it, which does seem to be one of his positive traits about him.

That is what life is all about, right?

"Everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days."

:unsure:

Including Gates first and foremost, the officer secondly, and then Obama.

Of course I can say they were all stupid... Because they were... Each one made a bad judgement call.

You know humility is a virtue... And I am glad to see that each one of these dudes is getting infused with a little of that humility. Quite refreshing to say the least, especially in a society that seems to be getting worse at saving face.

Believe it or not... This is how you heal. This is how you grow. This is how you lead by example. Life isn't perfect and things will not always go perfectly.

Anyone who thinks the police in the USA (and particularly in New England) are completely color blind in their demeanor with the public and enforcement, is living in a fantasy world.

Please, tell me that I am misreading this.

All across Anerica there are black police chiefs and supervisors. Do you think that they would sanction racism from white cops toward black citizens? Not only that Brian, sometimes a cop can be forced to take upon a slightly different demeanor when dealing with those of another color simply to address sensitivities and AVOID conflicts. The trick is to not get injured or killed while doing so.

Also, the wording of your post implies that each and every cop is a racist. Cops are no different than anyone else in terms of racism. There are racist people of all colors, and there are fair people of all colors.

In this instance, had you ever heard of this professor before? Neither have I but HE and not the cop is the one with a "friend in the White House." I wasn't there, but it would appear that the professor acted with a sense of entitlement, and perhaps also being in a higher social and economic class. I am not seeing this from the cop.

I am dissppointed that the President would first state that he doesn't have the facts, and then pass judgement. Besides, this was not a presidential matter. If this happened to a 58 year old bus driver in Philly, would we have heard from the White House?

We are in an economic depression and involved in 2 wars. President Obama is still new at the job. My hope is that he tends to the more important issues at hand, and lets people far below conduct fair investigations into matters of this sort.

Please, tell me that I am misreading this.

All across Anerica there are black police chiefs and supervisors. Do you think that they would sanction racism from white cops toward black citizens? Not only that Brian, sometimes a cop can be forced to take upon a slightly different demeanor when dealing with those of another color simply to address sensitivities and AVOID conflicts. The trick is to not get injured or killed while doing so.

Also, the wording of your post implies that each and every cop is a racist. Cops are no different than anyone else in terms of racism. There are racist people of all colors, and there are fair people of all colors.

In this instance, had you ever heard of this professor before? Neither have I but HE and not the cop is the one with a "friend in the White House." I wasn't there, but it would appear that the professor acted with a sense of entitlement, and perhaps also being in a higher social and economic class. I am not seeing this from the cop.

I am dissppointed that the President would first state that he doesn't have the facts, and then pass judgement. Besides, this was not a presidential matter. If this happened to a 58 year old bus driver in Philly, would we have heard from the White House?

We are in an economic depression and involved in 2 wars. President Obama is still new at the job. My hope is that he tends to the more important issues at hand, and lets people far below conduct fair investigations into matters of this sort.

I would suggest that instead of

"Anyone who thinks the police in the USA (and particularly in New England) are completely color blind in their demeanor with the public and enforcement, is living in a fantasy world."

this statement should have read

"Anyone who thinks the people in the USA (and particularly in New England) are completely color blind is living in a fantasy world."

And "people" means people of ALL colors. All people have prejudices whether they realize it or not, no matter how hard they try not to. Some are racial, some are gender-related...shoot, some people have prejudices about names, hair color, etc. That's human.

I do wish Obama hadn't weighed in...I have a bet with myself that there are nights when he gets into bed and Michelle hits him with "what the HELL were you thinking when you said XYZ..." and that was probably one of those nights. However, the bell has been rung and I hope that some good can come out of it.

White guys really can't understand what discrimination means, no matter how hard they try. Minorities - including women - have experienced it and understand it. Many days you just shrug it off but apparently on that day, that black man decided to be outraged and I think I might do the same thing.

I wonder when everyone's going to turn on the person who called 911 in the first place.

White guys really can't understand what discrimination means, no matter how hard they try. Minorities - including women - have experienced it and understand it. Many days you just shrug it off but apparently on that day, that black man decided to be outraged and I think I might do the same thing.

Many white males have been passed up for jobs, promotions, school admission, etc. due to simply being a white male, but I do agree with the premise of what you are saying.

On a day to day basis, white males don't face the same kind of thing. When a black cop in plain clothes gets on an elevator, many women will clutch their purse. This has happened to many friends of mine.

I truly believe this particular incident was less about race and more about social status and a sense of entitlement on the part of the prof. than it was about the cop being a racist.

The 911 call is pretty amazing at how innocent it was, and wasn't anything like it has been described in the news or in the police report. There was nothing about "black men", there was nothing about "wearing backpacks", the woman who made the call thought the men might live there but she didnt see much. She told the 911 guy they had suitcases, and was laughing at times because she didnt at all know if there was trouble or not. She thought maybe one of the guys was Hispanic but she couldnt tell because she didn't see them. There was another woman next to her, an older woman, who saw it first and mentioned it to the lady who then called 911. That is the person who was worried, and maybe that is who told Crowley about "two black men wearing backpacks".

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_...ge_polic_4.html

The 911 call is pretty amazing at how innocent it was, and wasn't anything like it has been described in the news or in the police report. There was nothing about "black men", there was nothing about "wearing backpacks", the woman who made the call thought the men might live there but she didnt see much. She told the 911 guy they had suitcases, and was laughing at times because she didnt at all know if there was trouble or not. She thought maybe one of the guys was Hispanic but she couldnt tell because she didn't see them. There was another woman next to her, an older woman, who saw it first and mentioned it to the lady who then called 911. That is the person who was worried, and maybe that is who told Crowley about "two black men wearing backpacks".

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_...ge_polic_4.html

Gates is appearing to be a race baitor to more people now, as the facts are slowly coming out.

Gates is appearing to be a race baitor to more people now, as the facts are slowly coming out.

Either that or Crowley was just as bad if not worse. He obviously lied in the police report. The policeman is less likely to be believed now that this came out, not more likely.