1336090276[/url]' post='2457712']

I know what you mean but in less than

2 weeks you are already talking like a

Granddad!!! ( baby bottle)!!

Her mom is doing all the feeding.

I like this new show missing.

;ksldfjas;dfj018954hj20948hgjas;kncmZ><SDmvng429ognh4-09qw

vf{Z(DcvhS9d8hgfadh9f8gasd

my brain hurts. normal business stuff is frustrating enough as a farmer - I can deal with that. freaking bridge isn't helping. now my bull likely had an infection or illness during the scheduled breeding time and i have 12 open cows&heifers only 6 bred.

and it's hot out. my head hurts. i haven't ate lunch yet. kate upton hasn't returned my calls. diesel is going up. obama is still a doof. robblegrobblerobblegrobble. rawr! :censored:

now my bull likely had an infection or illness during the scheduled breeding time and i have 12 open cows&heifers only 6 bred.

Don't you have someone local that, you know, likes cows? And would be willing to step up?

Well on that thought...Pooj does say yes to about everything female....where does he live?

Philly. I'm sure if you paid for his airline ticket he'd come down. Not sure if he'd !@#$ your cows though.

Philly. I'm sure if you paid for his airline ticket he'd come down. Not sure if he'd !@#$ your cows though.

I don't think Pooj has standards. He'd do anything.

On second thought. It would probably have to be warm. That would have to be the only standard.

Edited by Kevin

;ksldfjas;dfj018954hj20948hgjas;kncmZ><SDmvng429ognh4-09qw

vf{Z(DcvhS9d8hgfadh9f8gasd

my brain hurts. normal business stuff is frustrating enough as a farmer - I can deal with that. freaking bridge isn't helping. now my bull likely had an infection or illness during the scheduled breeding time and i have 12 open cows&heifers only 6 bred.

and it's hot out. my head hurts. i haven't ate lunch yet. kate upton hasn't returned my calls. diesel is going up. obama is still a doof. robblegrobblerobblegrobble. rawr! :censored:

Is not artificial insemination cheaper than maintaining a Bull?

Is not artificial insemination cheaper than maintaining a Bull?

Good question. Oh, renting a bull is about $500 a season (2 seasons for me, and lasts 3 months per)

AI is cheap if you just want calves and already have the equipment. It is about $2k for a tank, and then every so many days being refilled. The specimens can cost anywhere from $30 to $500,000. To propperly breed them you have to watch them like a hawk for their cycling, if they'd be standing at AM/PM you must time to within about a 30 minute window to hit it around 12 hours later, depending on the cow, age, etc.etc. The best AI guys have about a 90% to 95% of success, so that taken in with the % of culls (about 10%) is not easy to deal with. It is cheaper, yes. But it is not as effective. Even the biggest operations that AI all of their cattle have a cleanup bull. A bull that is used 30 days of the year or so to get any that didn't take with the AI.

Good question. Oh, renting a bull is about $500 a season (2 seasons for me, and lasts 3 months per)

AI is cheap if you just want calves and already have the equipment. It is about $2k for a tank, and then every so many days being refilled. The specimens can cost anywhere from $30 to $500,000. To propperly breed them you have to watch them like a hawk for their cycling, if they'd be standing at AM/PM you must time to within about a 30 minute window to hit it around 12 hours later, depending on the cow, age, etc.etc. The best AI guys have about a 90% to 95% of success, so that taken in with the % of culls (about 10%) is not easy to deal with. It is cheaper, yes. But it is not as effective. Even the biggest operations that AI all of their cattle have a cleanup bull. A bull that is used 30 days of the year or so to get any that didn't take with the AI.

Thanks. Just two questions- what is a tank, and is a $500,000 specimen from a Kentucky derby winner?

Thanks. Just two questions- what is a tank, and is a $500,000 specimen from a Kentucky derby winner?

Tanks are semen storage units, the good tanks, with the straws and other things needed for start up it gets pricey. Used tanks are not that realiable, because they leak.

The expensive straws are the ones hard to find. I cannot remember the name of the bull, Wyoming Wind, maybe, but since he is no longer in service (dead) and his semen is proven, realiable and produces great cattle then it may be worth it to some farms. With EPD's (expected progeny difference) marking what the calf should be a high end bull can get pricey. Some bulls will never mount a cow in their life and still have tens of thousands of calves. The same goes for cows, they may never carry a calf to term. With embryo flushing, they will knock up the cow and pull it out 35 days later to put in another cow. Every 40 or so days that cow will have a calf...from another cow...from a bull that it never met beyond more then a straw.

The same goes for cows, they may never carry a calf to term. With embryo flushing, they will knock up the cow and pull it out 35 days later to put in another cow. Every 40 or so days that cow will have a calf...from another cow...from a bull that it never met beyond more then a straw.

:blink: Whaaaaa.... They move the calfs from cow to cow? How big is the calf at 40 days? How long is it carried to birth?

:blink: Whaaaaa.... They move the calfs from cow to cow? How big is the calf at 40 days? How long is it carried to birth?

Adult cows cycle 28 days. Heifers can very a tiny bit, so they say. They being old timers.

The gestation period is 9 mos. 10 days. At 30-40 days the fetus is just above blood clot stage about a thumb to palm size critter.

Sometimes they sex the sperm. Males swim faster and immobilize sooner. Female, XY, go slower and last longer.

The whole idea is that these $750,000 cows are marbled near perfect, have desired attributes - square butt, diamond shoulders, small head/triangle that are good for calving/ease. They also have other good EPD's. Scrotal size at base is important if you're trying to breed a service bull. Milk, horned/polled/scurs, and maternal calving ease matter. Birth weights for Charolais are very important because they are large cows with large calves. Sometimes too big. weaning weight at 6-7 months is important, for obvious reasons. Stockers are generally sold as weanlings at that age; the more weight the more $. Then yearling weight factors, the bigger they are at a year old the better it will be for them to become bred. If a cow isn't bred by age 18 mos. She goes to sale. By year 2 they have to have a calf and as long as they have a calf every year they can do this until their late teens. I have a 96 model who dropped a calf last fall. If they skip they go to sell and end up as ground beef and commercial roasts.