Do We Have a Better Team Now than at the End of 2008 ?

Kenwick

I believe we do and here is why :)

Brandon, Jauron & Tom Modrak took charge and made big important changes for better or worse. Those three did the draft this year. They made the hard decisions. I think they did a good job with the draft picks they had to work with. Time will tell however.

Are the Coaches any better this season over last. They are all coming back. The Big change is that they really do have more talent to work with on offense and defense than last year. Yes this hopefully will make them all look a lot better for some stunk last year and we know who they are.

The Offense looks to be a lot better. What were they last season 25th or something like that. This year with T.O., a improved Evans & Johnson, Parish, Reed etc they are looking mighty fine. Even TE or WR Nelson looks good especially in the Red Zone. Edwards really does have some pass receivers this year. A big improvement over last year. Of course he also has three pretty good runners as we all agree upon. That leaves us with the O-line.

If there is one place you want stability on your team, it's your offensive line. It takes a while for those guys. It's like a chorus line for if one girl is out of step, it affects the other four. Hopefully they come around fast and work as a team. They sure got the smarts, athletism, size etc. But no experience working together. Like the chorus girls they have to play in step with each other and this really does take time which there is little of as we know. One thing is for sure however. The O-line looks to have a lot more talent on it then last years O-line. Along with a willingness to work together. You just have to love their willingness & aggressiveness. It is a unit that will start slowly but get better each game and we are going to love to watch them play.

The Defense was also improved They have new talent at DE, FS, CB, LB & D-line coaching. Huge improvement with the Defensive Line coach over last year. He is going to make one hellva a difference. Perry Fewell has more talent to work with. This unit could be a top 10 defensive unit this season especially if the Offense improves like we know it will.

The Special Teams were Number 1 last year. With Coach April back it will again be number #1. Book it.

The Bills were 7 and 9 last year. A lucky 7 and 9 if you ask me. When Edwards went down in the Arizona game with a concussion our season was over.

Losman stunk and the season went totally down hill. Not this coming season however. Bills could go 10 & 6 if the O-line jells quickly and our offensive coordinator does not stink it all up. We need much better play calling this season. The talent is there.

Our coaches must do a better job this year or we will be looking at some new ones next year....... I do not want that.....

That's why I believe the Bills are better off now then they were at the end of the 2008 season.... GO BILLS.....

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll know for sure pretty soon (9/14/09, at 7:00 PM). My feeling is that the Bills went from actually mediocre to potentially mediocre.

Peters v. Walker cancels Owens v. nobody, so it's is a draw, except that Owens in one and done.

(Preston&Fouler) v. Hangartner = Why do I keep thinking about Larry Tripplett? ...but couldn't be worse, so OK

Greer v. (Mckelvin&Youboty&Florence) = pretty big step backwards

[Dockery& Butler (to RT)] v. Eric&Andy = step backwards (at least for a year).

Nelson v. Royal = just OK

(Maybin&Schobel's back) v. (Denney&Ellis) = OK

"Thug Mode" v. D. (for DUI) Rhodes for few weeks = a little down

Ellison v. (Ellison&Harris) = still screwed

Ko v. Jairus = so what?

Edwards returns = who the eff knows? At least the boat anchor is gone.

Fewell returns = still stuck with the Marshmallow Menace

Schonert&Kugler return = "The Lindell and Moorman Show" returns

Jauron returns = Dancin' At the Zombie Ball

2009 v. 2008 strength of opponents = Should I cancel Sunday Ticket?

I'm not sure about that one. A push, at worst, in my opinion.

Definitely agree. He was good, but never really that great. I thought Youboty was the best DB on the team until he went down last year and obviously McKelvin has talent, it just remains to be seen when he will put it together.

I don't have the answer to the original question - only time will tell. But my fear is that most of us (me included) consistently overrate our talent level vis a vis the rest of the league. Every year at this time our roster looks pretty good on paper, then we end up out of the playoffs.

3 rookies (Wood, Levitre, Maybin) and 4 vets (Butler, Hangartner, Schobel and McCargo) hold the key to our season. All lineman on each side of the ball.

Outside on the OL I think we will be okay. You can't compare Walker to a peak Jason Peters, but Peters was not peak last year. I think we would have been better off last year with Walker at LT than a Peters who's head was in and out of the game. To be honest, I am most worried about Butler. The Bills moved him inside for a reason. He was limited in space--not quick or agile at the NFL level. He will be tested early and often. There is an article today about his transition on bb.com. He says practicing against Kelsay every day will help him (be afraid--be very afraid) Chambers, even though he moved inside to G, still proved his mettle as a swing T last year and Bell has all the core talents to be a good T. Its the Rookie Gs, Butler and Hangartner that will determine how the OL performs--Walker is our only truly proven commodity now on the OL--but there is talent there.

On D-Schobel's return to at least an above average pass rusher with quicks is a must. We do not have any finishers on the edge. Denney and Kelsay are effort guys who get sacks if coverage is outstanding. We need a player that the QB has to think about seeing in his face after a 2 count. Schobel is our guy for that-hopefully Maybin or Ellis can provide that as well. I think we are strong at LB, CB and S--but no one in the back 7 is strong enough when the QB can sit back and wait 5+ seconds for someone to get open.

Stroud was really, really good last year -- he needs to duplicate it but I think he can. If McCargo can become a consistent in beating blocks on the interior and get into the backfield -- it would translate to more turnovers and stops and more wins.

Its the lines--we have the skill players. We have an accurate QB who when given time can lead us. We have a good stable of WR's and RB's. We have a really good defensive secondary and good LB's -- its the lines. Many folks have posted this--but I will pile on and agree.

In a nut shell... Yeah, perhaps the Bills are better than the past season. Big deal. Did they make a quantum leap forward? NO! Proportionally, have they improved as much as the teams in their division and their conference? On the whole, NO!.

I thought Youboty was the best DB on the team until he went down last year and obviously McKelvin has talent, it just remains to be seen when he will put it together.

What's the most entire games in a row that Ashton has played? What's the opposite of Iron Man?

Florence is a TD machine, and Leodis gets tangled up in double moves. He's a great athlete, but...

Overall, I think we're puting a better team on the field.

QB - Experience is key for a QB which Trent is gaining and Trent has also been given weapons needed in T.O. and Nelson. Better off for certain.

RB - Lynch, Jackson, and Rhodes are as good as any other team's depth chart in the NFL.

TE - Nelson is going to make an impact in the passing game in his first year more than Royal did in his whole career in Buffalo. Not to mention the good reports about Schouman and Fine this offseason. Better off for certain.

WR - The addition of T.O. is going to do wonders for our offense. If his work ethic, knowledge of the game, and attention to detail rubs off on the other guys, like I expect it will, this move will impact our team for years to come. He immediately helps to give us one of the best WR duos in the NFL.

OL - Two rookies starting at OG, Butler back to his natural position, Hangartner in to play C, and Walker going to LT. Wood and Levitre play with a mean streak and both finish blocks. Hangartner played well for Carolina last year and Walker seemed to play well at LT in Peters' absence. Getting these guys to come together as a unit will determine our fate. If they gel quickly and Walker plays well at LT we WILL have a top 10 offense. To be determined.

DL - A healthy Schobel, a new DL coach, and the infusion of Maybin should mean more pressure on the QB. There's almost no way we can be any worse. If Maybin can get 5-8 sacks and Schobel gets his normal 10 or so then expect Stroud to be in the Pro Bowl because they won't be able to key in on him as much. Better off.

LB - Puz has another year under his belt in the defense and I expect him to make the leap from quality starter to being on the verge of the Pro Bowl this year. In his 2nd and 3rd years is when Urlacher began to shine. Puz basically lost his first season to the forearm injury. This year is his 3rd mentally, but second full (hopefully) on the field. I expect big things. Mitchell is solid and has a knack for making big plays. The WLB spot is in question, again. Hopefully Bowen comes back strong form the knee injury and picks up where he left off last year because all seemed to be impressed with his play. Atleast the same, if not better.

CB - McKelvin will make all say "Jabari who?" McGee is still on of the better cover guys in the NFL. Youboty showed flashes last year. Florence, if he returns to the form he showed in SD, will make our CB group one of the better groups in the NFL. Not to mention the reports of how impressive Lankster has been as well as Reggie Corner. Atleast the same, if not better.

S - Scott played well last season in pass coverage and was a solid tackler. Whitner battled through injuries and playing multiple positions. Throw in the ball-hawking Jairus Byrd and we are going to be better for sure. Whitner at a 100% will be good by itself. Hopefully Scott plays at the same level and Byrd can be brought along slowly and used in spots. Better.

K/P - Lindell and Moorman are Lindell and Moorman. Same.

Coaching - :) I wanted Jauron gone, as like many others around here did. Now we have to just grin and bear it. I think that Sanders will be a help to the DL and hopefully Schonert opens up the playbook this year. Schonert's play calling will be hindered by our OL though if they don't play well.

It all hinges on the OL and how quickly they come together. If they struggle, we're in for a long season. If they click early we all could be watching the Bills paly in January. Overall though, I think the Bills are a better team.

QB - Experience is key for a QB which Trent is gaining and Trent has also been given weapons needed in T.O. and Nelson. Better off for certain.

RB - Lynch, Jackson, and Rhodes are as good as any other team's depth chart in the NFL.

TE - Nelson is going to make an impact in the passing game in his first year more than Royal did in his whole career in Buffalo. Not to mention the good reports about Schouman and Fine this offseason. Better off for certain.

WR - The addition of T.O. is going to do wonders for our offense. If his work ethic,knowledge of the game, and attention to detail rub off on the other guys, like I expect it will, this move will impact out team for years to come. He immediately helps to give us one of the best WR duos in the NFL.

OL - Two rookies starting at OG, Walker at LT, Butler back to his natural position, Hangartner in to play C, and Walker going to LT. Wood and Levitre play with a mean streak and both finish blocks. Hangartner played well for Carolina last year and Walker seemed to play well at LT in Peters' absence. Getting these guys to come together as a unit will determine our fate. If they gel quickly and Walker plays well at LT we WILL have a top 10 offense. To be determined.

DL - A healthy Schobel, a new DL coach, and the infusion of Maybin should mean more pressure on the QB. There's almost no way we can be any worse. If Maybin can get 5-8 sacks and Schobel gets his normal 10 or so then expect Stroud to be in the Pro Bowl because they won't be able to key in on him as much. Better off.

LB - Puz has another year under his belt in the defense and I expect him to make the leap from quality starter to being on the verge of the Pro Bowl this year. In his 2nd and 3rd years is when Urlacher began to shine. Puz basically lost his first season to the forearm injury. This year is his 3rd mentally, but second full (hopefully) on the field. I expect big things. Mitchell is solid and has a knack for making big plays. The WLB spot is in question, again. Hopefully Bowen comes back strong form the knee injury and picks up where he left off last year because all seemed to be impressed with his play. Atleast the same, if not better.

CB - McKelvin will make all say "Jabari who?" McGee is still on of the better cover guys in the NFL. Youboty showed flashes last year. Florence, if he returns to the form he showed in SD, will make our CB group one of the better groups in the NFL. Not to mention the reports of how impressive Lankster has been as well as Reggie Corner. Atleast the same, if not better.

S - Scott played well last season in pass coverage and was a solid tackler. Whitner battled through injuries and playing multiple positions. Throw in the ball-hawking Jairus Byrd and we are going to be better for sure. Whitner at a 100% will be good by itself. Hopefully Scott plays at the same level and Byrd can be brought along slowly and used in spots. Better.

Coaching - :) I wanted Jauron gone, as like many others around here did. Now we have to just grin and bear it. I think that Sanders will be a help to the DL and hopefully Schonert opens up the playbook this year. Schonert's play calling will be hindered by our OL though if they don't play well.

It all hinges on the OL and how quickly they come together. If they struggle, we're in for a long season. If they click early we all could be watching the Bills paly in January. Overall though, I think the Bills are a better team.

Aren't you going to mention how McCargo is going to become Haloti this year?

WR - The addition of T.O. is going to do wonders for our offense. If his work ethic,knowledge of the game, and attention to detail rub off on the other guys, like I expect it will, this move will impact out team for years to come. He immediately helps to give us one of the best WR duos in the NFL.

OL - Two rookies starting at OG, Walker at LT, Butler back to his natural position, Hangartner in to play C, and Walker going to LT. Wood and Levitre play with a mean streak and both finish blocks. Hangartner played well for Carolina last year and Walker seemed to play well at LT in Peters' absence. Getting these guys to come together as a unit will determine our fate. If they gel quickly and Walker plays well at LT we WILL have a top 10 offense. To be determined.

I believe this post was well thought out, but your going to get some wise remarks from some losers who have no hope.

To be honest, I am most worried about Butler. The Bills moved him inside for a reason. He was limited in space--not quick or agile at the NFL level. He will be tested early and often. There is an article today about his transition on bb.com. He says practicing against Kelsay every day will help him (be afraid--be very afraid) Chambers, even though he moved inside to G, still proved his mettle as a swing T last year and Bell has all the core talents to be a good T. Its the Rookie Gs, Butler and Hangartner that will determine how the OL performs--Walker is our only truly proven commodity now on the OL--but there is talent there.

You're right on re: comments about Butler. College OT's can and do transition inside. We're hoping Levitre does it, and I'm confident he can make that move. But going from NFL G to OT is something I've never seen occur.

As for Hangartner, after two seasons in the NFL, the Panthers liked him so much they took Ryan Kalil in the second round. GH left via UFA to Buffalo and is being counted on to start. The contract isn't huge, but I will remain wary of a guy who wasn't good enough on another team and had a high pick brought in to replace him.

I think Wood makes the move to G from C, he had been working there far before the draft. OTOH, Walker has never played long term at OL and will require plenty of help. He can't be left on an island, and won't be someone who can get out in space like Peters could.

All in all, the backups are OK I suppose. Chambers and McKinney aren't starting caliber, and Bell has another year of development before he should be getting on the field regularly. They're thin again, and it's only Edwards health that depends on it.

You're right on re: comments about Butler. College OT's can and do transition inside. We're hoping Levitre does it, and I'm confident he can make that move. But going from NFL G to OT is something I've never seen occur.

As for Hangartner, after two seasons in the NFL, the Panthers liked him so much they took Ryan Kalil in the second round. GH left via UFA to Buffalo and is being counted on to start. The contract isn't huge, but I will remain wary of a guy who wasn't good enough on another team and had a high pick brought in to replace him.

I think Wood makes the move to G from C, he had been working there far before the draft. OTOH, Walker has never played long term at OL and will require plenty of help. He can't be left on an island, and won't be someone who can get out in space like Peters could.

All in all, the backups are OK I suppose. Chambers and McKinney aren't starting caliber, and Bell has another year of development before he should be getting on the field regularly. They're thin again, and it's only Edwards health that depends on it.

I addressed the Kalil selection before. He was the best player on the board at the time and the best C in the draft. The Panthers made a smart safe pick. Their #1 rushing attack in the NFL last season was fueled in part by Hangartner with his 8 starts at C or OG.

I would say that right now, we have the best team in the league - by far. We're completely unstoppable.

However, I reserve the right to change my opinion once they start playing games.

However, I reserve the right to change my opinion once they start playing games.

Translation: 9/14/09 @ 7:00 PM.

I'll be happy if Brady only completes 3 TD passes to Moss in the 1st half, and I'll declare a moral victory if the final score is Patriots 54, Bills 20.

We'll know for sure pretty soon (9/14/09, at 7:00 PM). My feeling is that the Bills went from actually mediocre to potentially mediocre.

Peters v. Walker cancels Owens v. nobody, so it's is a draw, except that Owens in one and done.

(Preston&Fouler) v. Hangartner = Why do I keep thinking about Larry Tripplett? ...but couldn't be worse, so OK

Greer v. (Mckelvin&Youboty&Florence) = pretty big step backwards

[Dockery& Butler (to RT)] v. Eric&Andy = step backwards (at least for a year).

Nelson v. Royal = just OK

(Maybin&Schobel's back) v. (Denney&Ellis) = OK

"Thug Mode" v. D. (for DUI) Rhodes for few weeks = a little down

Ellison v. (Ellison&Harris) = still screwed

Ko v. Jairus = so what?

Edwards returns = who the eff knows? At least the boat anchor is gone.

Fewell returns = still stuck with the Marshmallow Menace

Schonert&Kugler return = "The Lindell and Moorman Show" returns

Jauron returns = Dancin' At the Zombie Ball

2009 v. 2008 strength of opponents = Should I cancel Sunday Ticket?

Hangardner vs Preston and Fowler is a modest upgrade by any means. You compare him to Larry Triplet but the big difference is Hangardner was a starter for 56% of the games while he was in Carolina (Which was a good offensive line). While I would say its a big upgrade even if you look at Hangardner with some doubt its still a modest upgrade.

Greer was a good corner but its not like we lost Champ Bailey and its not like we have no one replacing them McKelvin was the top corner in the draft and showed signs last year. To me its a negligible difference between the two I will say that the depth is hurt but the starters are to me about the same.

IF Schobel is healthy and Maybin can chip in 4.5 to 7 sacks we could see a seizable difference in the pass rush from last year to this year so thats an improvement.

As for the rest of your analysis Its not too far off but those three things I would have to call Shenanigans on. You overrated the lost of Greer and underrated the impact even an average center could have on the line as well as the possible return of Schobel and the addition of Maybin.

Quick note Walker might not play as well as Peters did last year BUT Peters in 2008 was overall just a slightly above average LT so the drop off between Last years version of Peters and this years Langston Walker isn't too steep I would rate it as a seizable down grade but not as tragic as you make it sound. So the LT play from 2008 to 2009 is taking a step down but not falling off the cliff.