What do you miss about Buffalo?

I left Buffalo decades ago for The City, but used to make frequent visits for reunions with my family. Now my parents have passed away, and I don't go back anymore. Now I live in the Phoenix area.

What I miss mostly is the food:

* John & Mary's Royal sub (Harlem Rd. only) - cappacola and I-sausage

* Texas Red Hots (the sauce, diced raw onions, and some mustard)

* local pizza shops

* real butcher shops like Redlinski's (don't tell me if they're gone)

Moved away in 76 but am still connected...The food for sure... Just got a shipment of Webers products delivered last week...Schwabels Roast Beef on Weck.. Great SUBS & ZA, Clams & corn in the summer, Salen or Shelly Dogs, great Polish Sausage and Rye Bread!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left in 1974.

I miss family and friends.

I miss fish fry's on Friday at Beckers on Bailey and William.

I miss pizza from Frank's on Lovejoy and Bailey.

I miss Crystal Beach Day, when all of Lovejoy went.

I miss football in the streets and baseball on the Ryerson parking lot.

I miss the Indian Summers, that quick short break ifrom the winter weather n January.

I missed Saturday morning potato and cheese peroigi across the street from the Polish market on Broadway.

I do not miss the wind in February.

I left Buffalo decades ago for The City, but used to make frequent visits for reunions with my family. Now my parents have passed away, and I don't go back anymore. Now I live in the Phoenix area.

What I miss mostly is the food:

* John & Mary's Royal sub (Harlem Rd. only) - cappacola and I-sausage

* Texas Red Hots (the sauce, diced raw onions, and some mustard)

* local pizza shops

* real butcher shops like Redlinski's (don't tell me if they're gone)

Miss the hot dogs. Nothng like Sahlens.

We do get Buffalo pizza here. Casa di Pizza (on Elmwood) have to places here in Bradenton Florida. They do sell Sahlen hot dogs, beef on weck, and use the good pepperoni that curls and gets crispy edges when cooked.

How come no one misses all the hot chicks??

Buffalo is really all about the food I guess.

I miss Checkers bar, open and rocking, at 3:30am on a tuesday...

Canada being so close

I always was partial to Bob and Johns La Hacienda pizza although the grease just was a flood on top.

And subs from Avenue were terrific.

Moved away in 76 but am still connected...The food for sure... Just got a shipment of Webers products delivered last week...Schwabels Roast Beef on Weck.. Great SUBS & ZA, Clams & corn in the summer, Salen or Shelly Dogs, great Polish Sausage and Rye Bread!

There is still Johnnies butcher shop on Hertel; real old style butchery.

Fabulous perpperoni sticks.

At least is was still there a couple years ago.

closed years ago - guy made a helluva pie, though :)

Wow, I didn't think anyone remembered Martucci's. Just a hole in a wall but great pizza at an insanely low price. Did he just shut it down or did he move to a better location? That neighborhood went down the rat hole.

While we are on the subject of pizza, anyone ever get Pizza Subs? Avenue Sub & Pizza had them. Basically sauce, cheese and pepperoni on a sub roll, baked and folded over. They were $2 back in the 70's. The cheapest sub on the menu but man where they good!

PTR

Wow, I didn't think anyone remembered Martucci's. Just a hole in a wall but great pizza at an insanely low price. Did he just shut it down or did he move to a better location? That neighborhood went down the rat hole.

While we are on the subject of pizza, anyone ever get Pizza Subs? Avenue Sub & Pizza had them. Basically sauce, cheese and pepperoni on a sub roll, baked and folded over. They were $2 back in the 70's. The cheapest sub on the menu but man where they good!

PTR

I loved Avenue for years there at the corner of main and parker/across the street from Fillmore. Went back in there after a 10 year absence a couple of years ago - now it is like a bank with the workers behind serious chain link and bulletproof glass. Scary changes, in that part of Buffalo.

Still had a decent sub though

Haven't read through the thread, but here are some things I miss:

• Snow. Blizzards, actually. I love cleaning the snow off my car (the ice, not so much)
  • Great people
  • Neighborhood bars with reasonable prices, who understand the buy-back tradition
  • Viola's Subs (Niagara Falls)
  • Niagara Falls pizza: LaHacienda Pizza (no relation to Bob and John's), Mr Ventry's, Buzzy's, Sammy's (on a good day), Pizza Oven
  • Consistently good wings and BOWs
  • Friday Fish Frys
  • Latina Market (Niagara Falls)
  • Wegmans (hell I even miss Tops)
  • Reasonably priced and decent pot (for rolling joints). You can get much better pot elsewhere, but it is very expensive. The problem with CA (and FL, so far) is the lower level pot sucks, and is still expensive. WNY has the best quality/price ratio for decent pot.
  • Easy access to Canada

I'm sure there are many more.

Friday Fish Frys

There was a place in Gardenville called The Deerhead Inn. Beyond rustic, but, wow, did they ever have a great yellow pike fish fry. I hope that's still going.

...hell I even miss Tops

Are those two "Tops International" markets still kicking? Those were very fine.

Reasonably priced and decent pot (for rolling joints). You can get much better pot elsewhere, but it is very expensive. The problem with CA (and FL, so far) is the lower level pot sucks, and is still expensive. WNY has the best quality/price ratio for decent pot.

Whoa...if oregano is "decent pot", maybe. Otherwise, I just have to differ.

Easy access to Canada

Last time (and I mean LAST TIME), I went to Canada, the little, pig-faced Hitler in the booth on the Canadian side of the Peace Bridge asked me where I was going. I told him, "Niagara Falls." He asked, "What are you going to do at the Falls?" I answered, "Look at the Falls." He went ballistic, and sent me over to the goon squad to tear apart my car for a couple of hours. I guess he didn't like American guys with nice cars traveling with beautiful blonds.

How come no one misses all the hot chicks??

Buffalo is really all about the food I guess.

I miss Checkers bar, open and rocking, at 3:30am on a tuesday...

Canada being so close

I always was partial to Bob and Johns La Hacienda pizza although the grease just was a flood on top.

And subs from Avenue were terrific.

MANY of the HOT Chicks moved with the rest of us, we see them all the time. :) I miss my friends, most of which have also moved from Buffalo, Going to Bills, Sabres & Bison games & the FOOD. Mighty Taco, Ted's, Andersons, Schwabels, John & Marys, 4:30 breakfasts at Skaros.

MANY of the HOT Chicks moved with the rest of us, we see them all the time. :lol: I miss my friends, most of which have also moved from Buffalo, Going to Bills, Sabres & Bison games & the FOOD. Mighty Taco, Ted's, Andersons, Schwabels, John & Marys, 4:30 breakfasts at Skaros.

Anyone remember the Mighty Taco adds on WPHD radio?

Me neither...but I try really hard...

BTW, take it from a long time AZ guy, The Mighty Taco is cat food...at best...

:lol: BLASPHEMY, HOW DARE YOU!!!! Now Taco Bell, THAT is cat food, & that is about all I can get in S.W. Fla. WPHD forgot those call letters. Mighty Taco............Mighty Taco............Mighty Taco

There was a place in Gardenville called The Deerhead Inn. Beyond rustic, but, wow, did they ever have a great yellow pike fish fry. I hope that's still going.

My buddy lives near the Deerhead Inn. It's still there. It's on Clinton just west of French (I know, there's actually three French Roads, all east-west thoroughfares).

Many people, even Buffalonians, have never had yellow pike. It's becoming harder to find because there's not a commercial fishery for them any more. Most people know them as walleye, a very popular and delicious sport fish, but not commonly found at market. In much of the country you get cod or pollack for a fish fry. In WNY, most of the fish frys are still haddock which I think is the best.

Buffalo fish frys are the best. Beer batter haddock? Mmmm.

:lol: BLASPHEMY, HOW DARE YOU!!!! Now Taco Bell, THAT is cat food, & that is about all I can get in S.W. Fla. WPHD forgot those call letters. Mighty Taco............Mighty Taco............Mighty Taco

The Mighty Taco is a funny subject. Most of us agree that it's not as good as it used to be. For instance (and I worked there in college) they used to re-fry their beans in animal fat which made them a lot more tasty. They no longer do that. Also they've cut corners I think on some of their ingredients.

Objectively speaking, better quality "Mexican" food tends away from ground beef and more towards chunks of beef or chicken as in most fajitas.

Mighty Taco is not authentic in any way and is not as good as it used to be. That said, if you've grown up with it like most of us, there's a particular scrumptiousness about their food.

It's partly our duty to love Mighty, also as teenagers we were weaned on Mighty so we are a bit brainwashed, and finally there's something about Mighty Taco that is actually quite satisfying. I always go to Mighty when I'm visiting home.

Talking about fish fries and Mexican food, one of the best Mexican dishes in AZ is fish tacos: batter fried fish on a flour tortilla garnished with a tartar-type sauce, salsa/pico de gallo, and shredded cabbage.

I'am 71 years old, and was @ the Anchor Bar the night that CHICKEN WINGS were born. A bunch of guys & myself used to play basketball every wed. night. After our workouts we went AB for beers & somethink to eat. After having a few beers & some eats, the lady that owned the AB, brought us a plate of wings to sample, saying that if liked them she would put that on the meun. WE ate them and asked what the hell we were eating, she said chicken wings. Need les to say they

were great. She put that on the menu & as they say the rest history. They were fried in butter, in a big black iron frying

pan. A number of are still alive to back this story up.

GOD BLESS THERASA

P.S. Thats what the woman name was.

really? I've read that same story ont eh back of their menues too

Talking about fish fries and Mexican food, one of the best Mexican dishes in AZ is fish tacos: batter fried fish on a flour tortilla garnished with a tartar-type sauce, salsa/pico de gallo, and shredded cabbage.

I prefer tuna taco.

Mighty Taco is a great, terrible, "Mexican" fast food joint.

Please don't restart this argument. All we need is for Chef Jim to start lecturing us about Mexican food again. Mighty Taco isn't Mexican. That doesn't make it bad. It is what it is...a WNY-style taco/burrito. It serves it's purpose...sobering up drunks at 4am.

PTR

love fish tacos here in cali...but without the batter and PLUS put de lime juice onnnnn

love fish tacos here in cali...but without the batter and PLUS put de lime juice onnnnn

I like a good fish taco, and prefer the fish be unbattered, too.

As noted, Mighty bares little resemblance to real Mexican food. Still, that doesn't mean people can't enjoy them, or that they can't be tasty (to some), or appropriate under a certain set of circumstances.

I was never a Mighty freak, but they do taste OK after putting a heat on. I like to make them as hot as possible. When I lived in Buffalo, I always preferred steak tacos at Mike's Big Mouth, or most anywhere else that had a good hot sauce. But, in a pinch Mighty worked.

One time, as an "adult" (shudder), I had a hankering for something spicy, and a taco in particular, in the middle of the afternoon. I went to a nearby Mighty. Wow, not that good, when you are stone-cold sober (yes, I was sober in the middle of the afternoon).

Oh, sure.

I miss seeing the band TALAS play at Cassidys the bass guy was great. Billy sheenan I think was his name. Those were great days in Buffalo, mid-late 70's early 80's.

Havent lived in Buff since '86 but those are memories you can't replicate.

I remember also when they finally razed Cassidys,. there was a rat problem in the neighborhood for like 2 years that place was vermin infested to the nth degree.

Good cheap pitchers of Blue made it all worth it.

I miss seeing the band TALAS play at Cassidys the bass guy was great. Billy sheenan I think was his name. Those were great days in Buffalo, mid-late 70's early 80's.

Havent lived in Buff since '86 but those are memories you can't replicate.

I remember also when they finally razed Cassidys,. there was a rat problem in the neighborhood for like 2 years that place was vermin infested to the nth degree.

Good cheap pitchers of Blue made it all worth it.

I used to love a bar called Jack Daniels (on Forrest?). They had good music, too. Also liked Cassidy's and Gabels...cookout night...free (or 25 cent) burgers and dogs and pitchers of mixed drinks for $2.