Does Eli Manning Deserve To Be The Highest Paid QB...

H2o

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the Giants are going to give Eli a 100 million dollar deal. They Will likely give him a 7 or 8 year deal worth around 80 million with like 35 to 40 million Guaranteed. He has a Super Bowl ring and plays well in clutch situations and this year he got the Giants to a 13-3 record and a division title.

And before the Giants won the Super Bowl he did get the Giants to three Playoff appearances so its not like he hasn't had success before the Giants Super Bowl run. I like Eli but 100 Million is just too much for him. He isn't a QB that adds enough to the team in order to spend that kind of money on him. Eli isn't a guy like Brady where he can win with only some talent to work with. Eli needs other pieces around him to be effective.

You shouldn't compare him to Belichik because they are at different points in their careers. For instance, let's say Eli and Peyton were both drowning, would you save him? Trent hasn't even had 5 seasons yet and JP was a terrible choice for QB, all he needed was a better O-line and some brains. I think I made my point.

Exactly.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-12-9/...to-pay-Eli.html

With a career QB rating of 77.8 and a career completion percentage of 55.9 I DO NOT see how this should even be remotely possible.

I like Eli because he keeps his mouth shut and actually seems to appreciate good play out of his supporting cast but he's in no way deserving of being the highest paid player in the league.

The Giants are kind of over a barrel with Eli: he led the most memorable drive in the what, 85 year history of the New York Football Giants? However, last year was his best season, and he ranked 17th in yards, 19th in completion percentage, 20th in yards per attempt (below Trent Edwards in the last two), tied for 10th in TDs, all amounting to 14th overall in QB rating. Most of those numbers are his career bests.

He doesn't deserve anything like the $15-$20M/season that they're talking about. I think he's on par with Tony Romo and Donovan McNabb. Romo's getting about $11M/per, and McNabb's at $12.5M. Both contracts are pretty new, so I'd say Eli should come in slightly higher, maybe $13-14M.

The report, though, says:

And the total maximum value of the deal could approach $120 million over a seven-year term.

That's quite a bit higher, and he'll likely get the most guaranteed money in NFL history. If I were the Giants, I'd wait until this offseason to sign him. I don't think he's ever going to be able to ask for much more than that, and there's a chance that without Plax, he could really suffer this year.

i'm mixed on eli.

he has great tools and at times is just awesome, but is horribly inconsistent.

now, he plays in the ultra aggressive gilbride system, and that same system has made iffy linemen and ok running backs top rated Ds in 4 different cities (including b lo!) -- so that's is part of it. w the giants O, while they are up and down and all over the place, they always seem to have a shot in each game. they are capable (due to the option routes, risk taking, open play, and running constantly out of passing formations) of scoring at any time.

the way to look at it is -- what are you gonna do if you are the giants? let him walk? of course he is gonna get bank.

I don't think the Giants are going to give Eli a 100 million dollar deal. They Will likely give him a 7 or 8 year deal worth around 80 million with like 35 to 40 million Guaranteed. He has a Super Bowl ring and plays well in clutch situations and this year he got the Giants to a 13-3 record and a division title.

And before the Giants won the Super Bowl he did get the Giants to three Playoff appearances so its not like he hasn't had success before the Giants Super Bowl run. I like Eli but 100 Million is just too much for him. He isn't a QB that adds enough to the team in order to spend that kind of money on him. Eli isn't a guy like Brady where he can win with only some talent to work with. Eli needs other pieces around him to be effective.

I think you're just about spot on with that assessment. Above average QB's with a SB ring aren't a dime a dozen. If they let him walk they'll be in the same situation so many other teams are. Looking for a legitimate starting QB and finding one isn't easy.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-12-9/...to-pay-Eli.html

With a career QB rating of 77.8 and a career completion percentage of 55.9 I DO NOT see how this should even be remotely possible.

Its about right place right time/.Of course he doesnt deserve it. Look at the Bills offensive and defensive lines last year.Only Stroud deserved big money.

It has little to do with deserving.

eli's trash...he's going to be like joe namath...one of those QBs that was never really that great but gets his dick sucked for all time because he was in NYC and won a championship

u didnt just compare eli with namath..

No, the highest paid player should be a slob like Haynesworth who will be entirely forgotten in fewer than ten years.

I don't understand the point of this post. It's a market and any player's value is exactly the highest amount any team will pay him.

Why even ask the question?

I think you're just about spot on with that assessment. Above average QB's with a SB ring aren't a dime a dozen. If they let him walk they'll be in the same situation so many other teams are. Looking for a legitimate starting QB and finding one isn't easy.

Well I consider Eli Manning to be a top 10 QB. Not in the top 5 but still somewhere in the top ten. His status may be more of a result of there just not being too many elite QB's in the NFL.

Top 5 (In no order But number 5 is at the bottom)

1- Tom Brady

2- Peyton Manning

3- Drew Brees

4- Kurt Warner

5- Ben Rothlisberger

Numbers 6-9 (In no order)

6- Eli Manning

7- Philip Rivers

8- Carson Palmer

9- Donavon McNabb

Than knocking on the door of being a top ten QB are (Once again in no order)

10- Arron Rodgers (Despite huge numbers has only played one season a losing one)

11- Matt Ryan (Probably the best of the bunch likely to be in the top 10 next season and top 5 down the line)

12- Matt Hasselbeck (Very good QB but health concerns and age issues)

13- Jay Cutler (Looks great decent numbers but needs to prove he can win)

14- Matt Cassel (Is he just a one year wounder?)

15- Tony Romo (Good QB but not good in the clutch)

So when you compare Eli to the rest of the league (Keep in mind these rankings are based off of who wins not fantasy numbers) his stock suddenly rises a lot. When you look at Eli's numbers and skill set you say solid but not elite yet you look at all the other guys in the league and there aren't too many guys you would take ahead of him.

Well I consider Eli Manning to be a top 10 QB. Not in the top 5 but still somewhere in the top ten. His status may be more of a result of there just not being too many elite QB's in the NFL.

Top 5 (In no order But number 5 is at the bottom)

1- Tom Brady

2- Peyton Manning

3- Drew Brees

4- Kurt Warner

5- Ben Rothlisberger

Numbers 6-9 (In no order)

6- Eli Manning

7- Philip Rivers

8- Carson Palmer

9- Donavon McNabb

Than knocking on the door of being a top ten QB are (Once again in no order)

10- Arron Rodgers (Despite huge numbers has only played one season a losing one)

11- Matt Ryan (Probably the best of the bunch likely to be in the top 10 next season and top 5 down the line)

12- Matt Hasselbeck (Very good QB but health concerns and age issues)

13- Jay Cutler (Looks great decent numbers but needs to prove he can win)

14- Matt Cassel (Is he just a one year wounder?)

15- Tony Romo (Good QB but not good in the clutch)

So when you compare Eli to the rest of the league (Keep in mind these rankings are based off of who wins not fantasy numbers) his stock suddenly rises a lot. When you look at Eli's numbers and skill set you say solid but not elite yet you look at all the other guys in the league and there aren't too many guys you would take ahead of him.

If I had to take any QB now it would be Matt Ryan in a New York second...even over Brady due to age/injury factor.

If I had to take any QB now it would be Matt Ryan in a New York second...even over Brady due to age/injury factor.

I should have pointed out that my list was based off of winning in the short term. Basically if you had to win right now this season and next season who would you take.

If you had to take age into account yeah Matt Ryan is most likely the best guy out there for the long term.

You must be young & never saw Namath play. He was the Greatest QB of his generation & played on TWO bad legs from his 1st day in the NFL. Had he not been injured in college he may have been the best QB EVER.

Really Nameth is better than Bart Starr? Nameth is in the Hall of Fame because of the Super Bowl win. It to this day pisses my dad off that Nameth (Who stastically sucked and only had 2 seasons with more TD's than Ints) got in the Hall of Fame first Ballot while Fran Tarkington had to wait a while despite the fact that he held almost every record for a QB at the time and had 4 Super Bowl Appearances under his belt as well as numerous winning seasons.

Really Nameth is better than Bart Starr? Nameth is in the Hall of Fame because of the Super Bowl win. It to this day pisses my dad off that Nameth (Who stastically sucked and only had 2 seasons with more TD's than Ints) got in the Hall of Fame first Ballot while Fran Tarkington had to wait a while despite the fact that he held almost every record for a QB at the time and had 4 Super Bowl Appearances under his belt as well as numerous winning seasons.

I did not say Namath was better than Bart Starr. I said Namath was the BEST QB of his generation. Tarkington was in the same generation as Starr, that is why Tarkington had to wait. Starr > Tarkington Even though both of his knees were SEVERELY injured while playing at Alabama, Namath was made the HIGHEST PAID player to come out of college for a reason, & it wasn't his boyish good looks. When I say highest paid, I mean by a LOT. The Namath signing by the Jets didn't make the front sports page, it made the FRONT page of the Newspaper due to the amount of money he was paid. The AFL & NFL were at war at the time. If he had not been injured in college Namath would have very likely been the BEST QB EVER.

No, the highest paid player should be a slob like Haynesworth who will be entirely forgotten in fewer than ten years.

I don't understand the point of this post. It's a market and any player's value is exactly the highest amount any team will pay him.

Why even ask the question?

I say three years for Haynesworth to go off into obscurity.

TSN's latest issue has a list of breakout players for 2009. One each for every team. They picked TE to break out for the Bills. They said he makes good decisions and is an accurate passer. I agree with that. Since there was a pick for every team it really doesn't mean that much but I agree, with fingers crossed. :censored: