Baseball's greatest play

Steve O

This was a big deal when it happened in 76, the Bicentenial year

"If that's all you're known for its not a bad thing at all" Rick Monday on being remembered primarily for this play after playing for 19 years

wow, security at stadiums really must have sucked in the 70s.

Ya it kinda did:

That is how it is done... Americans start better fires in the outfield!

:censored::unsure:

Oh, the Rick Monday thing... WFT were the bums trying to burn the flag doing? Starting it by rubbing two sticks together! :lol::lol: Not that I would burn the flag, but come on... They looked retarded if you can't get something up in 2 seconds with a little charcoal fluid. What were they doing? Setting up a safety zone? :lol:

I remember getting Rick Mondays autograph when I was a kid. It was at an A's game,me and my brothers yelled at him before the game. He came over to the wall and signed for all of us and took a few minutes to talk to each of us. That was like 40 years ago and it still sticks in my mind what a nice guy he was.

These two guys were idiots, enough said. They were trying to make a political statement in front of a large, somewhat captive audience. And Rick Monday's known more for this than hitting the home run which won the '81 pennant for the Dodgers.

If these two guys tried this in most other nations with the flag of that nation, we'd never hear from them again.

Be thankful for the freedoms you have here. The rule should be, you have a right to burn the flag. And a crowd of people has a right to beat the hell out of you when you do.

I remember what Dennis Miller once said when a pic on "Weekend Update" showed a young woman with a wadded-up American flag in her mouth:

"Gee, I'm not feeling free enough tonight; why don't I just tie the flag in knots and pass it through my colon? To me, this isn't a patriotic issue; it's just good manners. You're not being un-American when you burn the flag. You're just being a major pain in the @$$."

These two guys were idiots, enough said. They were trying to make a political statement in front of a large, somewhat captive audience. And Rick Monday's known more for this than hitting the home run which won the '81 pennant for the Dodgers.

If these two guys tried this in most other nations with the flag of that nation, we'd never hear from them again.

Be thankful for the freedoms you have here. The rule should be, you have a right to burn the flag. And a crowd of people has a right to beat the hell out of you when you do.

I remember what Dennis Miller once said when a pic on "Weekend Update" showed a young woman with a wadded-up American flag in her mouth:

"Gee, I'm not feeling free enough tonight; why don't I just tie the flag in knots and pass it through my colon? To me, this isn't a patriotic issue; it's just good manners. You're not being un-American when you burn the flag. You're just being a major pain in the @$$."

Why are they being a pain in the ass? Of course in the 1976 situation, there are all kinds of OTHER issues than the attempted burning of the flag. They should not have been in the outfield.

I understand what you are saying. Of course these douchebags had everything coming to them... And of course Monday did the right and only thing... But man it was taking ten years out there... I would be more impressed if the thing was actually all ablaze and Monday still grabbed it! Which of course would still be th ONLY thing to do.

Not to start a whole debate. I just don't understand why people get all in a lather about protesters... Even in other forums (refering to the baseball field). Now I can sort of see ex-service members feeling this way because the flag is a symbol that is used to train the military to fight for that piece of cloth at all cost. The disconnect should come when they enter civilian life. Of course this is very hard to do being programmed one and only one way: defend the flag at all cost.

Remember you can't change people with regards to something like this... Outside of the Monday thing (or something similar) it is better to just let it go and be secure with one's self.

I know I will take heat for this... And yes, I would have done exactly what Monday did... I probably honor the flag and its rules better than 9 out of 10 people out there... But I still don't get in a lather no matter what. I believe in symbols, but symbols to me run deeper than just the physical sense. The physical sense is just that, the physical sense... The flag burners are not doing anything to change me.

• 3 years later...