Is Goodell doing a good job.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rehabilitated is one thing...but given the privilege of playing a game for millions of dollars is quite another. There are plenty of professions that you can't get a job in if you are convicted of any felony, and some that you can't get jobs in if you're convicted of anything over a traffic violation. The NFL is a high profile corporation in which it really can't afford to have someone employed in the public eye who's been convicted of committing multiple vicious felonies. If Goodell ever reinstates Vick, or anyone else convicted of such a vicious crime, it'll be a black mark against the league and it'll be hard to ever take him seriously as someone committed to cleaning up the league's image.

I consider myself a pretty non-judgemental and forgiving person. Certainly it takes a bit of deep thought to recognize the differences and similarities across player behavior. As one poster intelligently posts, Marshawn committed a hit and run although the victim survived. Donte Stallworth committed a hit and stay although the victim died. So who committed a more grave transgression?

Don't bother answering because we've already talked that one to death. The reason I posted was because of this:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/28/...-with-bad-boys/

Basically a former NFL All-Pro turned judge has strong opinions about how Goodell ought to generally treat players who've misbehaved and his reasons for that opinion.

I think Goodell is okay. He has hard job balancing the hot shot owners like Snyder, Kraft and Jones against the legacy owners like Wilson, Brown, Rooney etc. At the same time maximizing revenue for the league as a whole. The fact that Goodell is a WNY'er can't hurt.

PTR

While I think Goodell is good at his role.. What is that???? (fuktard)

Part of it is a person so stupid they can't figure out what fuktard means.

I consider myself a pretty non-judgemental and forgiving person. Certainly it takes a bit of deep thought to recognize the differences and similarities across player behavior. As one poster intelligently posts, Marshawn committed a hit and run although the victim survived. Donte Stallworth committed a hit and stay although the victim died. So who committed a more grave transgression?

Don't bother answering because we've already talked that one to death. The reason I posted was because of this:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/28/...-with-bad-boys/

Basically a former NFL All-Pro turned judge has strong opinions about how Goodell ought to generally treat players who've misbehaved and his reasons for that opinion.

Who'd think a former Poorpiss would be so wise? :thumbsup:

just to put this out there....

I have never been to Miami, and am unfamiliar with its roads/geography. I do have a friend that lived there for 4 years(i know its dumb i am taking somebody else account), and claims that the road that stallworth hit that guy on was more or less a small highway, and under no circumstances, and at no time of the day should anybody ever think about crossing there.

I am not condoning his drinking and driving, but he according to the friend it would have been near impossible for anybody to avoid the situation wether sober or not.

just to put this out there....

I have never been to Miami, and am unfamiliar with its roads/geography. I do have a friend that lived there for 4 years(i know its dumb i am taking somebody else account), and claims that the road that stallworth hit that guy on was more or less a small highway, and under no circumstances, and at no time of the day should anybody ever think about crossing there.

I am not condoning his drinking and driving, but he according to the friend it would have been near impossible for anybody to avoid the situation wether sober or not.

You are correct about the road.

Is Roger Goodell doing a good job so far?.....I personally think he is not. People like to say playing in the NFL is a privledge. That is total and complete Bull S.... . Playing in the NFL is an ability end of story....

No actually, playing in the NFL is a privilege. I think I understand part of your point, that every NFL athlete is talented. But once that talent gets them into the NFL, and they make a 53 man roster, and start earning at least the NFL minimum salary of around $200,000.00 per season....that my friend, is a pretty damn big privilege.

Not to mention the fact, that they have money to afford the very best lawyers, consultants, agents, money managers and "possees." If after having access to all of that, the very few idiots of the NFL still cannot stay out of jail, they do not deserve to be earning that kind of money any longer. I don't care how talented they are.

Is there anyone else who thinks that is !@#$ed up the fact that Goodell is the only person that judges suspensions? I mean the person you appeal to is Rodger Goodell aka the person who suspended you in the first place. Shouldn't there be some arbitration process? But for some reason the players union never says anything about it. Are they waiting for the CBA to expire or do the players just don't care.

I know if I was a guy like Marshawn Lynch I would be so pissed that the only hope of stating my case for a reduced suspension is to the guy who has already has rendered a verdict on my case. Its just not right for one man to have all that power over the way so many earn a living.

And stop with the whole its a privilege not a right thing. The league can't say No Mexicans in the league its a privilege not a right. Its 30 individual companies competing against one another under the same banner not a country club. I know the league has a disciplinary policy and wants to uphold an image but don't quote that line it just makes me sick. That privilege not a right thing is just a line made up by the NFL to justify its hard ass one man one rule conduct policy.

Is there anyone else who thinks that is !@#$ed up the fact that Goodell is the only person that judges suspensions? I mean the person you appeal to is Rodger Goodell aka the person who suspended you in the first place. Shouldn't there be some arbitration process? But for some reason the players union never says anything about it. Are they waiting for the CBA to expire or do the players just don't care.

I know if I was a guy like Marshawn Lynch I would be so pissed that the only hope of stating my case for a reduced suspension is to the guy who has already has rendered a verdict on my case. Its just not right for one man to have all that power over the way so many earn a living.

Here's a solution...DON'T !@#$ UP IN THE FIRST PLACE! But while it is kinda messed up that the appeal isn't heard by someone different, it's not like changes can't be made in the punishment...Brandon Marshall got a 3-game suspension last year, appealed it, and it was reduced to 1 game

And stop with the whole its a privilege not a right thing. The league can't say No Mexicans in the league its a privilege not a right. Its 30 individual companies competing against one another under the same banner not a country club. I know the league has a disciplinary policy and wants to uphold an image but don't quote that line it just makes me sick. That privilege not a right thing is just a line made up by the NFL to justify its hard ass one man one rule conduct policy.
I have 2 solutions for you

1. get a barf bag
  2. start ignoring the real world and live in a fantasy world in which it's written into law that you can do any job you want to even if you're not qualified (and a hardened criminal isn't qualified to do a lot of jobs)

Here's a solution...DON'T !@#$ UP IN THE FIRST PLACE! But while it is kinda messed up that the appeal isn't heard by someone different, it's not like changes can't be made in the punishment...Brandon Marshall got a 3-game suspension last year, appealed it, and it was reduced to 1 game

I have 2 solutions for you

1. get a barf bag
  2. start ignoring the real world and live in a fantasy world in which it's written into law that you can do any job you want to even if you're not qualified (and a hardened criminal isn't qualified to do a lot of jobs)

Don't screw up in the first place is good advice. Most people do their best to follow that but in the life style these players live trouble tends to follow them (not even by their own fault sometimes) and they do screw up. Its overly simplistic to have one guy decide what is the appropriate punishment for every case in the league. Like i said have Goodell make his judgement and than if they have a problem with it they go to a arbitration process where different people look at it and both the league and the player state their reasoning for or against the suspension. I think we both are in agreement about that to a certain extent.

As for a fantasy world I have no problem with a disciplinary policy its just don't use the corporate slogan of "Its a privilege not a right" to justify it. The policy is designed to make money not hold the league to some sort of higher standard. If you really think its about discipline or setting that its a privilege to play than you are fooling yourself.

Yeah, the league just needs to formalize its suspension policy, because as it stands now, it can seem kind of arbitrary. Goodell has be using his authority wisely and fairly, so far, but if there's a commissioner that doesn't do that down the road, or Goodell changes his tune, the players should have some form of recourse.

Yeah, the league just needs to formalize its suspension policy, because as it stands now, it can seem kind of arbitrary. Goodell has be using his authority wisely and fairly, so far, but if there's a commissioner that doesn't do that down the road, or Goodell changes his tune, the players should have some form of recourse.

Exactly Goodell needs no rhyme or reason to hand out suspensions. If he gave Lynch a 6 game suspension who is going to stop him? He also can give guys less or more time on a suspension for no reason other than he didn't like him. For all we know he just hates Lynch because of no real reason other than he didn't like the cut of his jib. While Brandon Marshall has a nice guy quality to him as well as a few nice friends to vouch for him so he gets it reduced to 1 game. IF it happened that way there is nothing no one can do to Goodell.

Its too much power for one man to have. And like you said its too unorganized. I really hope the players union bargains for that because too many of their players get affected by this policy for them not to care.

No actually, playing in the NFL is a privilege. I think I understand part of your point, that every NFL athlete is talented. But once that talent gets them into the NFL, and they make a 53 man roster, and start earning at least the NFL minimum salary of around $200,000.00 per season....that my friend, is a pretty damn big privilege.

Not to mention the fact, that they have money to afford the very best lawyers, consultants, agents, money managers and "possees." If after having access to all of that, the very few idiots of the NFL still cannot stay out of jail, they do not deserve to be earning that kind of money any longer. I don't care how talented they are.

What he said. :thumbsup:

You can say that but you'd be wrong.

But Gene Upshaw, the head of the NFL players union, sent an even more powerful message when he released a statement in support of the commissioner's right to make such suspensions. Goodell also unveiled a new personal conduct policy for all NFL players, and Upshaw endorsed the policy.

"The NFL Players Association and the Player Advisory Council have been discussing this issue for several months," Upshaw said. "We believe that these are steps that the commissioner needs to take and we support the policy. It is important that players in violation of the policy will have the opportunity and the support to change their conduct and earn their way back."

I won't bother trying to explain the privilege vs. right thing because it seems that both sides have their own opinions. I come down on the privilege thing and I think Upshaw's comments support that theory.

If the union finds a particular case unfair they can still stand up for the player. So far they've agreed with commissioner.

If the union finds a particular case unfair they can still stand up for the player. So far they've agreed with commissioner.

How can they stand up for the player. There is no appeal process. Once again they appeal to the very same person who issued the suspension. If Goodell wants to he has no reason to change his original decision. In Baseball and hockey the union can appeal a case to an independent arbitrator who follows a system of rules in deciding the outcome of a suspension. At least that possibility of an appeal would keep Goodell honest.

If the players don't mind than they get what they deserve.

I say that thus far no, Goodell has not done a good job as commish.

1. His suspensions are somewhat arbitrary and there is no method to his madness. He suspends players on a whim and there really needs to be a set system in place. Players get treated differently without rhyme or reason. Not to mention there should be an outside arbitrator who handles appeals. one man having all the power is not a good way to go.

2. He completely botched the handling of spygate in an effort to sweep things under the rug. His "nothing to see here, move along" attitude was the exact wrong way to handle the situation.

The upcoming labor battle will go a long way to making or breaking Goodell's legacy. If this screws up the NFL and we lose the cap, its not going to look good for him at all.

How can they stand up for the player. There is no appeal process. Once again they appeal to the very same person who issued the suspension. If Goodell wants to he has no reason to change his original decision. In Baseball and hockey the union can appeal a case to an independent arbitrator who follows a system of rules in deciding the outcome of a suspension. At least that possibility of an appeal would keep Goodell honest.

If the players don't mind than they get what they deserve.

(sigh), the union can stand up for a player that they feel has been handled badly. There is no reason they can't.

Link

From an article dated May 29th 2009;

MINNEAPOLIS -A federal judge denied on Friday a request by the NFL Players Association to put the suspensions of five players on hold while the case over use of a banned substance is being appealed.

However, NFLPA attorney Jeffrey Kessler said it doesn't necessary mean the players will miss any games at the start of the 2009 season because there could be action at the appellate court level before the season starts.

Further, he said, U.S. District Judge Paul Magnuson has sent some issues surrounding the suspensions of Minnesota Vikings defensive tackles Kevin Williams and Pat Williams back to the state courts.

(sigh), the union can stand up for a player that they feel has been handled badly. There is no reason they can't.

Link

From an article dated May 29th 2009;

MINNEAPOLIS -A federal judge denied on Friday a request by the NFL Players Association to put the suspensions of five players on hold while the case over use of a banned substance is being appealed.

However, NFLPA attorney Jeffrey Kessler said it doesn't necessary mean the players will miss any games at the start of the 2009 season because there could be action at the appellate court level before the season starts.

Further, he said, U.S. District Judge Paul Magnuson has sent some issues surrounding the suspensions of Minnesota Vikings defensive tackles Kevin Williams and Pat Williams back to the state courts.

In the NFL you appeal to Rodger Goodell. That actually shows how much power Goodell has. The Union had to get a Appeals Court ruling in to just stall Goodells process. The tacit was not used to get the suspensions reversed but to stall the suspension till next season. The appeals process is a joke you appeal to the office of Rodger Goodell.

GODell definitely is walking around with a God complex. He needs to treat each player on a case by case basis. Pac Man and Henry both deserved to be suspended for the numerous times they were in trouble with the law. However, Burress has not been convicted so until then, nor has he been in trouble, thus his punishment if any should be a wait and see. As for Vick he has paid his price, loosing 2years of his life behind bars, loosing his job, loosing endorsements, loosing his home and now GODell wants to suspend him indefinitely. Vick deserves the right to compete for a job in the league.

For all of you who say he has not right or he is a criminal please reference Michael Milken the Junk Bond King who swindled Average Americans out of their savings, and only spent 2 years in prison. He is now in the top 500 richest Americans.