Is Goodell doing a good job.

Is Roger Goodell doing a good job so far?

I personally think he is not. People like to say playing in the NFL is a privledge. That is total and complete Bull S.... . Playing in the NFL is an ability end of story. The suspensions these players are receiving are in my opinion out of line. His words about Donte Stallworth causing Mr. Reyes death were out of line. Mr. Reyes caused his own death and Donte Stallworth just happened to be involved with it. I think if he keeps on this goody goody Goodell path the NFL is going to resemble some office flag football league with a bunch of inferior players who are good on the copy machine.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think he is not. People like to say playing in the NFL is a privledge. That is total and complete Bull S.... . Playing in the NFL is an ability end of story. The suspensions these players are receiving are in my opinion out of line. His words about Donte Stallworth causing Mr. Reyes death were out of line. Mr. Reyes caused his own death and Donte Stallworth just happened to be involved with it. I think if he keeps on this goody goody Goodell path the NFL is going to resemble some office flag football league with a bunch of inferior players who are good on the copy machine.

Just like anything he is somewhere in between...

The real test for Goddell will come when the labor negotiation begins...That is where Tagliabue made his legacy....and became popular....If Goddell can avoid labor strike and play in 2010 and beyond, he will be thought of in the same way as his prior commissioners...All the other stuff is usually forgotten.

Any comissioner would have punished Pacman Jones, Brandon Marshall, Lynch and will punish plaxico etc.

You, my friend, are a fuktard.

There's plenty of players who have the ability but aren't criminals...Goodell need to be tough on the troublemakers. In a league where publicity is at an all-time high, Goodell can't afford to be relaxed with players who get in trouble. To suggest otherwise is idiotic

The true litmus test will be when Vick comes up for reinstatement. Anyone convicted of a vicious felony can never be reinstated and if Goodell ever reinstates probably the biggest scumbag since Rae Carruth, it'll be hard to ever take him seriously as far as dealing with troublemakers again

There's plenty of players who have the ability but aren't criminals...Goodell need to be tough on the troublemakers. In a league where publicity is at an all-time high, Goodell can't afford to be relaxed with players who get in trouble. To suggest otherwise is idiotic

The true litmus test will be when Vick comes up for reinstatement. Anyone convicted of a vicious felony can never be reinstated and if Goodell ever reinstates probably the biggest scumbag since Rae Carruth, it'll be hard to ever take him seriously as far as dealing with troublemakers again

Are you saying that anyone who is convicted of a vicious felony can never be rehabilitated? That seems rather harsh.

Every situation has to be looked at in its entirety; the player, the original circumstances, the precedent it might set, what's best for the NFL, etc. etc.

I think he's doing a great job...he's the best thing that could have happened to the NFL. He's helping to clean up the image of the league, which is very important. It helps sell the game. I don't know about the labor negotiation side of the story, we're still waiting for that to unfold.

But as for cleaning up the image of the league, good on him! :thumbsup:

Goodell should be enshrined in the HOF for saving the NFL's butt after the Belicheat* scandal. I mean Tim Graham echos the sentiment of most of the media that covers the NFL by saying that NE* is THE model franchise of not only the NFL but of all the four major sports. And this was said AFTER the cheating scandal. So Goodell clearly did his job regarding the Cheatriots*.

I can't think of any other commissioner that could have buried that decade of cheating by NE* as well as Goodell. So he is doing a sensational job for the interests of the NFL. The labor issue is secondary to the integrity of the league itself.

I personally don't like the job Goodell is doing either. More so i have a problem with the way the league is heading under him. I'm fine with the suspensions but the idea expanding the regular season, the yearly games in Europe, and not to mention advertising on practice jerseys imo are all terrible ideas. I know it's all about the money but don't fix what's not broken.

I think he should enforce a Thunderdome policy for violations where "Two Men Enter, One Man Leaves."

I am so sick and tired of our society coddling millionaire athletes by not forcing them to battle each other to a gruesome death. So, no, he is not doing a good job.

Are you saying that anyone who is convicted of a vicious felony can never be rehabilitated? That seems rather harsh.

Every situation has to be looked at in its entirety; the player, the original circumstances, the precedent it might set, what's best for the NFL, etc. etc.

Rehabilitated is one thing...but given the privilege of playing a game for millions of dollars is quite another. There are plenty of professions that you can't get a job in if you are convicted of any felony, and some that you can't get jobs in if you're convicted of anything over a traffic violation. The NFL is a high profile corporation in which it really can't afford to have someone employed in the public eye who's been convicted of committing multiple vicious felonies. If Goodell ever reinstates Vick, or anyone else convicted of such a vicious crime, it'll be a black mark against the league and it'll be hard to ever take him seriously as someone committed to cleaning up the league's image.

His words about Donte Stallworth causing Mr. Reyes death were out of line. Mr. Reyes caused his own death and Donte Stallworth just happened to be involved with it.

This I'd like to hear an explanation for. How do you blame the victim for getting in front of a car driven by a drunk driver?

The victim was out in the middle of the street...not even in a crosswalk...from everything I heard, it would've been hard for anyone to avoid hitting him...even completely sober. It sounded like he started walking across the street just around the corner from where Stallworth was driving

So, if your the best salesman in your company and you commit a felony that everyone outside the company is aware of do you think you'd keep your job? Working anywhere is a privilege and not a right.

I think he's doing a great job...he's the best thing that could have happened to the NFL. He's helping to clean up the image of the league, which is very important. It helps sell the game. I don't know about the labor negotiation side of the story, we're still waiting for that to unfold.

But as for cleaning up the image of the league, good on him! :thumbsup:

What he said. :thumbsup:

It seems it still hasn't sunk into the noggins of a lot of players. The more guys are suspended the louder the message will get across. It seems it hasn't done much now but I think it's starting to sink into some head bones.

The victim was out in the middle of the street...not even in a crosswalk...from everything I heard, it would've been hard for anyone to avoid hitting him...even completely sober. It sounded like he started walking across the street just around the corner from where Stallworth was driving

While this is no way condoning drinking and driving, it does not take a genius to realize that it was entirely possible that the "victim" could have been the "cause". Donte, who I'm no fan of, may simply had been driving in an area at the wrong time. It's very possible that nothing he could have done would have avoided the tragic event. Sure he shouldn't have been driving, but this isn't as simple as "drinking - guilty" although for many it very well may be.

Further, Donte didn't flee the scene, he cooperated with the police, and showed quite more character than a local beloved "beast" who has shown much less.

Drunks are a serious problem, but cell phone use has actually been shown in recent studies to be even more so.

But hey, a few drinks, he must be at fault.

I think he is doing a pretty good job. I don't necessarily agree with every decision he's made, but he has been atleast predictable when people screw up. There are rules and guidlines for off field conduct. If they cross those lines they are punished accordingly. Pretty simple I think.

While this is no way condoning drinking and driving, it does not take a genius to realize that it was entirely possible that the "victim" could have been the "cause". Donte, who I'm no fan of, may simply had been driving in an area at the wrong time. It's very possible that nothing he could have done would have avoided the tragic event. Sure he shouldn't have been driving, but this isn't as simple as "drinking - guilty" although for many it very well may be.

Further, Donte didn't flee the scene, he cooperated with the police, and showed quite more character than a local beloved "beast" who has shown much less.

Drunks are a serious problem, but cell phone use has actually been shown in recent studies to be even more so.

But hey, a few drinks, he must be at fault.

If Stallworth had a blood alcohol level of zero he probably wouldn't have been charged by the police at all and hence he would still be playing. Did his DUI cause the accident? Who knows. While the guy was running across the street Stallworth was still drunk.

Why is everybody so willing to give him props for obeying the law? Have things gotten so bad that obeying the law is now considered high character?

If Stallworth had a blood alcohol level of zero he probably wouldn't have been charged by the police at all and hence he would still be playing. Did his DUI cause the accident? Who knows. While the guy was running across the street Stallworth was still drunk.

Why is everybody so willing to give him props for obeying the law? Have things gotten so bad that obeying the law is now considered high character?

Simply obeying the law really isn't high character...though it does indicate a measure of good character. It's just that the stories of low character players dominate the media

Simply obeying the law really isn't high character...though it does indicate a measure of good character. It's just that the stories of low character players dominate the media

I guess things have gotten so bad due to all of the low lifes out there that it is now a pathetic positive character trait. This world keeps getting worse and worse. :thumbsup: