Is Goodell doing a good job.

In the NFL you appeal to Rodger Goodell. That actually shows how much power Goodell has. The Union had to get a Appeals Court ruling in to just stall Goodells process. The tacit was not used to get the suspensions reversed but to stall the suspension till next season. The appeals process is a joke you appeal to the office of Rodger Goodell.

:thumbsup::rolleyes:

The courts are a different appeals process from the commissioner!! The union is fighting the suspensions!

The NFLPA and the Williamses had argued in separate lawsuits that NFL officials knew a weight-loss supplement called StarCaps contained the banned diuretic bumetanide back in 2006, even though it wasn't listed on the label, and that the league should have notified players and federal regulators.

Why can't you admit you were wrong! There are other outlets for appeals other than the commissioner!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup::rolleyes:

The courts are a different appeals process from the commissioner!! The union is fighting the suspensions!

The NFLPA and the Williamses had argued in separate lawsuits that NFL officials knew a weight-loss supplement called StarCaps contained the banned diuretic bumetanide back in 2006, even though it wasn't listed on the label, and that the league should have notified players and federal regulators.

Why can't you admit you were wrong! There are other outlets for appeals other than the commissioner!

No, you are still wrong. When it comes to suspensions from personal behavior, Goodell is a one man judge and jury, and you appeal directly to him, which is bogus.

The starcaps issue is that the players are challenging the legality of the suspensions for failing a drug test. Read your own link. They are appealing because the NFL knew that star caps contained a banned substance, but DID NOT notify the players and include it on their of known "bad" substances.

Theres a difference between the ESTABLISHED POLICY of being suspended for substance abuse, and the one man God-like whims of Goodell when it comes to personal conduct.

Personal conduct != substance abuse

Is Roger Goodell doing a good job so far?

I personally think he is not. People like to say playing in the NFL is a privledge. That is total and complete Bull S.... . Playing in the NFL is an ability end of story. The suspensions these players are receiving are in my opinion out of line. His words about Donte Stallworth causing Mr. Reyes death were out of line. Mr. Reyes caused his own death and Donte Stallworth just happened to be involved with it. I think if he keeps on this goody goody Goodell path the NFL is going to resemble some office flag football league with a bunch of inferior players who are good on the copy machine.

Yes,

I think he is.

Your Donte Stallworth comment is completely off base. How did Mr Reyes cause his own death? Oh, that's right he planned the night before to walk in front of some rich, drunk NFL player and end it all. Stupid.

I want some morality in the league, I want some of these friggin thugs to go find another line of work if they can't handle the NFL's standards for personal conduct.

The NFL will never have inferior players. It has stood the test of time and keeps getting better. Let me guess....you were an XFL fan right? How did that work out?

No, you are still wrong. When it comes to suspensions from personal behavior, Goodell is a one man judge and jury, and you appeal directly to him, which is bogus.

The starcaps issue is that the players are challenging the legality of the suspensions for failing a drug test. Read your own link. They are appealing because the NFL knew that star caps contained a banned substance, but DID NOT notify the players and include it on their of known "bad" substances.

Theres a difference between the ESTABLISHED POLICY of being suspended for substance abuse, and the one man God-like whims of Goodell when it comes to personal conduct.

Personal conduct != substance abuse

The point is the union is taking up for the players. Yes, the issue is a banned substance but still it is the union that is initiating the fight.

A federal judge denied on Friday a request by the NFL Players Association.

Here's a better example then;

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The NFL Players Association filed a grievance on Tuesday challenging the suspension and fine given to Plaxico Burress by the New York Giants after the receiver accidentally shot himself in a nightclub more than a week ago.

The union said that the team violated the collective bargaining agreement last week when it placed Burress on the reserve-non football injury list, suspended him for the final four games of the regular season and fined him an additional week's salary for conduct detrimental to the team.

Placing Burress on the non-football injury list also will keep him out of the playoffs. The Giants (11-2) won the NFC East title on Sunday.

Union spokesman Carl Francis said the grievance will be heard by an arbitrator after the season ends.

The union filed another grievance on Burress' behalf earlier this year after the Giants suspended him for a game and fined him two weeks pay for missing a team meeting in September.

The two sides eventually agreed to cut the fine in half, saving Burress about one game's pay -- more than $200,000.

Does everybody get it now?

:thumbsup:

With Goodell being from WNY that means alot.

Being from WNY didn't help us when it came to the Belicheat* scandal. Goodell is a totally company man and he will do what is best for his company, the company being the NFL.

And by the way why should any Bills fan care about whether he is tough on players who get in trouble with the law, etc. We may not even have a team in a few years and we can't compete now in this league the way things are going and we care about how tough a disciplinarian Goodell is with players? Its not our concern since we have much bigger issues to worry about.

GODell definitely is walking around with a God complex. He needs to treat each player on a case by case basis. Pac Man and Henry both deserved to be suspended for the numerous times they were in trouble with the law. However, Burress has not been convicted so until then, nor has he been in trouble, thus his punishment if any should be a wait and see. As for Vick he has paid his price, loosing 2years of his life behind bars, loosing his job, loosing endorsements, loosing his home and now GODell wants to suspend him indefinitely. Vick deserves the right to compete for a job in the league.

For all of you who say he has not right or he is a criminal please reference Michael Milken the Junk Bond King who swindled Average Americans out of their savings, and only spent 2 years in prison. He is now in the top 500 richest Americans.

Goodell has the power to suspend at his discretion and is the sole appeal avenue for players. This system was agreed upon by the players and their union. Nuf said.

It does appear his suspensions are not always consistent (Tank Johnson's "second strike"--also for a misdeanor gun charge---cost him 6 games, not 3), but he has tended to wait until cases have been adjudicated before he lays down the suspension.

Vick didn't lose 2 years, his job, his endorsement, his home. Nor did anyone take them from him. He willingly gave them away. Now he wants them back. The NFL owes him nothing. To say he deserves "the right" to compete for a job in the NFL is just laughable. If he wants to play, let him try out for another league.

Perhaps you haven't heard, but Goodell has not suspended Burress yet. And the injunctions the union have sought were against the TEAM's fines and suspensions, not the league's. Since the judge who moved back his trial must be a Giants fan, expect Goodell to suspend him soon.

The point is the union is taking up for the players. Yes, the issue is a banned substance but still it is the union that is initiating the fight.

A federal judge denied on Friday a request by the NFL Players Association.

Here's a better example then;

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The NFL Players Association filed a grievance on Tuesday challenging the suspension and fine given to Plaxico Burress by the New York Giants after the receiver accidentally shot himself in a nightclub more than a week ago.

The union said that the team violated the collective bargaining agreement last week when it placed Burress on the reserve-non football injury list, suspended him for the final four games of the regular season and fined him an additional week's salary for conduct detrimental to the team.

Placing Burress on the non-football injury list also will keep him out of the playoffs. The Giants (11-2) won the NFC East title on Sunday.

Union spokesman Carl Francis said the grievance will be heard by an arbitrator after the season ends.

The union filed another grievance on Burress' behalf earlier this year after the Giants suspended him for a game and fined him two weeks pay for missing a team meeting in September.

The two sides eventually agreed to cut the fine in half, saving Burress about one game's pay -- more than $200,000.

Does everybody get it now?

What does the Giants fining burress have anything to do with Goodell's personal conduct policy? Things that are different are not the same. Burress was claiming the Giants violated the CBA, hence the appeal.

When Goodell hands down a suspension, the only person you can appeal to is him. Find me a link where someone was suspended by Goodell and appealed to somewhere else aside from Goodell himself. A Goodell suspension does NOT violate the CBA.

So far, in response to the "Goodell has all the power to suspend players for off the field actions and you can only appeal to him, which is crap" argument, you've come up with:

1. Players suspended for violating the substance abuse policy are accusing the NFL of lying to them and not informing them properly of the risks of StarCaps.

2. Burress accusing the New York Giants of violating the CBA in regards to how a team can punish a player.

Nowhere in the above 2 "points" you've made does it involve Goodell personally issuing a suspension and a player appealing to an outside source. That is because they CAN'T. Do you enjoy the view of your own rectum? Is that why you keep posting this nonsense?

:thumbsup::angry:

So saying the fact that the players Union can Sue the NFL is an appeals process? And as someone else has already pointed out substance abuse is a different issue than the personal conduct policy. So basically the appeals process goes like this (Rodger Goodell)- you are suspended for 3 games. (Player X) Can I appeal,(Rodger Goodell) OK I have appealed to myself and you are still suspended. (Player X) Well that doesn't seem fair I am going to my union. (Goodell) You don't like it sue me.

That is not an appeals process, and I am pretty sure you can't sue over a personal conduct issue because the Union allowed for it to be put in the CBA. Like I said if the Players Union doesn't care than they deserve it but I should hope during the next CBA they lobby for a actual appeals process.