Chinese Food

ajzepp

Is that possible (crappy)... I must be easy to please? Just as long as it is NOT moving... ;);)

I remember my father one time went to Fort Erie with us... He was against Chinese food! (that is where I must get my OTHER old-school biases from) ;);) So he ordered roast beef! :devil:<_< He said it tasted like it came out of a can... Duh dad, it probably did! Need I say, he likes Chinese now after that trip... :D

Yes it's possible. I had some last week that was really bad.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of shrimp?

There's shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried.

There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp in potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich.

That's about it.

It varies from restaurant to restaurant. At a place like PF Changs (forgive me) I sometimes get Chang's Spicy Shrimp (I think that's what it is called, anyway).

I rarely expect good food in a chain, but PF Changs is the exception. It's always been good when I've gone there.

There's shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried.

There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp in potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich.

That's about it.

Thanks Bubba!

What are the primary spices they use to get the heat in Chinese food? Sometimes I eat food where I feel they went for heat at the expense of flavor, and I dont like that at all. I like spicy food, but I want the flavor AND the heat. Seems like when I order a Chinese dish that is listed as "spicy", it's actually pretty mild. Good, but mild. If I ask for something to be spicier, I was just curious what it is they would most likely add?

I find that many Chinese restaurants (typically Cantonese) don't make the food very spicy even when you order it that way. I go overboard, stressing how hot I want it, and it still comes out barely spicy...at least to me. There is a difference between "spicy" and "not", and I think some places just use more spices, but not the really hot pepper. I always ask for the hot chili oil (sauce) that the cooks use. It is oil and crushed red pepper. If they don't have that, and only have the pre-packaged "hot sauce", they probably aren't going to make it hot, no matter what you order.

Now, a good Thai restaurant, or Indian restaurant...they know hot. My traditional 1st order when I try a Thai restaurant for the first time is Gai Kra Pow (sometimes spelled Krapow, or sometime called "Chicken with Basil")...sometimes I get the pork version, too. "Thai hot"! I usually check out the satay (pork if the have it), too.

At an Indian restaurant, I'll get Lamb Vindaloo, extra hot, and some good naan (bread).

Try a Singha Beer with the Thai or an Indian beer (Kingfisher isn't great, but it is good with the food) with the vindaloo.

That's about it.

:devil:

KD you beat me too it! <_<

That's about it.

<_<

I find that many Chinese restaurants (typically Cantonese) don't make the food very spicy even when you order it that way. I go overboard, stressing how hot I want it, and it still comes out barely spicy...at least to me. There is a difference between "spicy" and "not", and I think some places just use more spices, but not the really hot pepper. I always ask for the hot chili oil (sauce) that the cooks use. It is oil and crushed red pepper. If they don't have that, and only have the pre-packaged "hot sauce", they probably aren't going to make it hot, no matter what you order.

Now, a good Thai restaurant, or Indian restaurant...they know hot. My traditional 1st order when I try a Thai restaurant for the first time is Gai Kra Pow (sometimes spelled Krapow, or sometime called "Chicken with Basil")...sometimes I get the pork version, too. "Thai hot"! I usually check out the satay (pork if the have it), too.

At an Indian restaurant, I'll get Lamb Vindaloo, extra hot, and some good naan (bread).

Try a Singha Beer with the Thai or an Indian beer (Kingfisher isn't great, but it is good with the food) with the vindaloo.

Cool, Fez has been trying to get me to try some Thai food for a while now...Gai Kra Pow sounds good to me!

Cool, Fez has been trying to get me to try some Thai food for a while now...Gai Kra Pow sounds good to me!

The only think I know about it is:

Thai cuisine has a lot of peanuts in it I think??? Oh, and the Thai children are much more well behaved then their American counterparts... Long story... <_<:devil:

Oh, and isn't there a big Thai community where Fez lives (Twin Cities area)??

Chinese food isnt' exactly my favorite, but over time I've found a few dishes that I really enjoy. I thought I'd list my top few favorite dishes and see if you guys had any recommendations on what else is good.

My Favorites:

1) Shrimp Lo Mein

2) Mongolian Beef

3) General's Chicken

Other dishes I've had are Lemon Chicken, Beef and Broccoli, Garlic Chicken, Cashew Chicken, Twice Cooked Pork, and Sweet and Sour Chicken.

What are some of your favorites and what else do you recommend I try?

Forget the Americanized Chinese food and go for good Thai or Vietnamese instead. Always look for a place where natives to the country hang out.

The only think I know about it is:

Thai cuisine has a lot of peanuts in it I think??? Oh, and the Thai children are much more well behaved then their American counterparts... Long story... ;);)

Oh, and isn't there a big Thai community where Fez lives (Twin Cities area)??

I love Thai food. I actually know how to cook pretty good Pad Thai, Tom Yum, pineapple Thai fried rice, and spring rolls. It's quite a feat, since I really can't cook very well.... <_<

Pad Thai is generally the most popular Thai dish for people new to the cuisine.

I've never had Gai Kra Pow -- I'll have to try it out. :devil:

I don't know how large the Thai community is here. We have a pretty large Asian population in general though. There are quite a few really good Thai places in the city, as well as a few really good Vietnamese places. I just wish they'd move to the suburbs so I don't have to drive 30 miles each way to get to them :D

Chinese food is crap (well, the Americanized version at least - don't know that I've ever had real Chinese food).

Good topic. I like pretty much all Chinese food and I've got it made here in SF with some of the best Chinese food outside China and NYC. We had dim sum yesterday and had:

Szchewan Chicken

Steamed chicken and ginger dumplings

Pork and shrimp shaomei

Peking duck

Pork Potstickers

Stuffed steamed noodles

All good stuff. But I'll tell you there is nothing worse that crappy Chinese food.

I agree...if you want good Chinese food go to SF. <_<

I recently got introduced to Thai food and love it. There's an authentic Thai place here in Portland that's awesome!

Chinese food is crap (well, the Americanized version at least - don't know that I've ever had real Chinese food).

I did (I think) one time back in the late 80's... I was up in Banff, AB skiing and when we first landed in Calgary we took in this one joint... I think they were serving grasshopper things or something... All I remember was this Chinese girl hawking stuff on a push cart... We left... <_< Went to McDonalds... :devil::D

The best Ethnic food I had was an Ethiopian restaurant in Syndy. Hole in the wall where you brought in your own beer and put it in the fridge and grabbed it when you were ready for you next one.

Ethiopian is cool but personally not my favorite ethic food. Generally, most Americans find their native food to be too spicy and may be turned off by raw beef (do not have to get it this way). Don't get me wrong, like Ethiopian food - have it about once per month - but believe I only have tame version. I still say SE asian food is really good for american tasts.

Ethiopian is cool but personally not my favorite ethic food. Generally, most Americans find their native food to be too spicy and may be turned off by raw beef (do not have to get it this way). Don't get me wrong, like Ethiopian food - have it about once per month - but believe I only have tame version. I still say SE asian food is really good for american tasts.

This had a lot to do with the atmosphere. It was more than 20 years ago but I still remember it well. The walk through the kitchen to the restroom was quite entertaining. The health department in the US really takes all the fun out of cooking.

Chinese food isnt' exactly my favorite, but over time I've found a few dishes that I really enjoy. I thought I'd list my top few favorite dishes and see if you guys had any recommendations on what else is good.

My Favorites:

1) Shrimp Lo Mein

2) Mongolian Beef

3) General's Chicken

Other dishes I've had are Lemon Chicken, Beef and Broccoli, Garlic Chicken, Cashew Chicken, Twice Cooked Pork, and Sweet and Sour Chicken.

What are some of your favorites and what else do you recommend I try?

stir fried cat