What Was That?

Drew apparently went brain dead on the last play of the first half. If you're going to throw the ball, at least see if anyone is open in the end zone.

Drew, overall, played a pretty good game. It shows that he still can be a winning QB if his OL is doing its job. Those two touch passes were beauties. But the stupid plays continue to raise questions about judgement. But in any case, if the OL continues to improve, who knows what can happen with this team.

Drew apparently went brain dead on the last play of the first half.  If you're going to throw the ball, at least see if anyone is open in the end zone.

Drew, overall, played a pretty good game.  It shows that he still can be a winning QB if his OL is doing its job.  Those two touch passes were beauties.  But the stupid plays continue to raise questions about judgement.  But in any case, if the OL continues to improve, who knows what can happen with this team.

106459[/snapback]

Um...that was MM's call. Did you not see Bledsoe looking to the sidelines??? At that point the coaching staff seemed to be playing not to lose rather than to win. Mularkey had some boneheaded calls in this game and was horrible with clock management, IMHO...but the bottomline is they won.

I think there were around 30 seconds left when they got reset at the line.

This is an example of bad contingency planning by the coaches- not having two plays called and/or a short set of plays the (veteran) QB can audiblize to. The goal line squad looked like they had poopy diapers. :blush:

The problem came well before that.

The play before the pass down to the 2 yard line, the receiver had a chance to go out of bounds, but didn't. We ended up taking a timeout.

Then came the pass down to the 2. Time out again. Now we are without any timeouts.

The run up the middle was NOT a good call, particularly without any timeouts. Mularkey's comment prior to the half was that we weren't prepared for him to get stuffed. Excuse me?

The way I look at it, the first receiver gets out of bounds and we are okay. We call a run outside, instead of up the middle, and we are potentially okay since McGahee either scores or goes out of bounds. Those were two serious screw-ups, and I was livid at the time.

I'm happy it all worked out in the end, and kudos to all of the Bills for getting the job done. But this was an example of why the team was losing games previously instead of winning them. It's a fine line between winning and losing, and taking a FG before the half instead of a TD is one of those things that can bite you in the ass in the end.

But it didn't, and I'm ecstatic!

It looked to me like they had no choice on the play, if you think about it.

They called the run the previous play and then when they got stuffed they didnt have time to change the personell grouping.

There were no wide receivers on the field, so they couldnt call the only play worth calling in that situation - a quick fade to the corner. Any other pass play they could call with no wideouts on the field would have risked them taking a sack and not getting any points.

So from that perspective i thought they did the smart thing by throwing it away and kicking the field goal...

It looked to me like they had no choice on the play, if you think about it.

They called the run the previous play and then when they got stuffed they didnt have time to change the personell grouping.

106670[/snapback]

No choice? Did they choose the personnel grouping that was on the field for that play? Did they realize they had no timeouts and the running play might not work? If so, then they should have had two plays called in the huddle and the proper personnel in the game to run them both.

It was a great win today, but I'm not going to excuse this poor game day coaching. I've been watching football since I was 7 or 8 years old...in my 24 years of watching football, both college and pro, I've never seen a team give up on a play like that at the end of a half/game. Never.

No choice?  Did they choose the personnel grouping that was on the field for that play?  Did they realize they had no timeouts and the running play might not work?  If so, then they should have had two plays called in the huddle and the proper personnel in the game to run them both.

It was a great win today, but I'm not going to excuse this poor game day coaching.  I've been watching football since I was 7 or 8 years old...in my 24 years of watching football, both college and pro, I've never seen a team give up on a play like that at the end of a half/game.  Never.

106683[/snapback]

I agree. I am thrilled with this win, and like the way the team is going and playing, but outside of a turnover, that was probably the worst 3 play series I have ever seen at the 2 yard line without losing a ton of yards. Even if they couldnt get another set of players in there (which you're right is the coaches fault) they HAVE to have a play that is a tackle eligible. Fake the damn run and throw it to Sam Adams rather than spiking it.

I have to admit I was laughing at Dierdorf when he criticized the WR for not going out of bounds. Usually time isn't a factor when there's 1:30 left and you have the ball on the 10 yard line; and if anything you don't want to leave the other team any time.

The ensuing series was simply a Murphy's law of clock management screw-ups. Don't forget prior to the running play they ran down the entire play-clock before burning their last time-out. I began to wonder if Drew had been paid off.

I've been watching football since I was 7 or 8 years old...in my 24 years of watching football, both college and pro, I've never seen a team give up on a play like that at the end of a half/game. Never.

It wasn't just the mess on 3rddown with no time to run and still get your FG unit on, that was among the worst mismanaged 13yrds I've ever seen in my life.

Burning TO's with 1:30 left around the 10 is inexcusable for any pro coach(es). I've been very happy with this rookie staff throughout the season, but they're going to be eating turd sammies for that one for as long as I remember it.

Somebody remind me in the morn...........

Cya