Create A New Team

If you controlled the 33rd team in the league and Commissioner Goodell gave you the power to pick only 1 player from each team to create your team's 22 starters, who would you choose? A poster started this on Footballs Future and I thought it would be neat to share it with my fellow knowledgeable posters at TSW.

Without further ado, here are the Alaska Freeze's offensive and defensive starters:

Offense

QB Drew Brees; NO

RB Adrian Peterson; MIN

WR Larry Fitzgerald; ARZ

WR Calvin Johnson; DET

TE Jason Witten; DAL

LT Joe Thomas; CLE

LG Jason Peters; PHI

C Nick Mangold; NYJ

RG Davin Joseph; TB

RT Jordan Gross; CAR

Defense

LE Mario Williams; HOU

DT Haloti Ngata; BAL

DT Vince Wilfork; NE

RE Justin Tuck; NYG

OLB Paul Posluszny; BUF

MLB Patrick Willis; SF

OLB Shawne Merriman; SD

CB Nnamdi Asomugha; OAK

CB Champ Bailey; DEN

FS LaRon Landry; WAS

SS Troy Palomalu; PIT

What type of defense are you running? Tommie Harris would be the better pick at DT (over Ngata or Wilfork) for a 4-3.

I would run a 4-3 and I was going to insert Harris into my lineup, but one of my friends, a Bear fan, claims that Harris has the knees of a 71 year old woman.

If you controlled the 33rd team in the league and Commissioner Goodell gave you the power to pick only 1 player from each team to create your team's 22 starters, who would you choose? A poster started this on Footballs Future and I thought it would be neat to share it with my fellow knowledgeable posters at TSW.

Without further ado, here are the Alaska Freeze's offensive and defensive starters:

Offense

QB Drew Brees; NO

RB Adrian Peterson; MIN

WR Larry Fitzgerald; ARZ

WR Calvin Johnson; DET

TE Jason Witten; DAL

LT Joe Thomas; CLE

LG Jason Peters; PHI

C Nick Mangold; NYJ

RG Davin Joseph; TB

RT Jordan Gross; CAR

Defense

LE Mario Williams; HOU

DT Haloti Ngata; BAL

DT Vince Wilfork; NE

RE Justin Tuck; NYG

OLB Paul Posluszny; BUF

MLB Patrick Willis; SF

OLB Shawne Merriman; SD

CB Nnamdi Asomugha; OAK

CB Champ Bailey; DEN

FS LaRon Landry; WAS

SS Troy Palomalu; PIT

The commish is being quite generous by not allowing existing teams to protect it's star players.

And even more generous in allowing you to ignore the salary cap :thumbsup:

What type of defense are you running? Tommie Harris would be the better pick at DT (over Ngata or Wilfork) for a 4-3.

It also depends on who you want to play the under-tackle role. NGata or WIlfork could both do well playing the 1-technique, but you need 1 DT to play a 3-technique. Harris fits that role nicely.

I think a better experiment would be the same circumstances, but you have to stay under a salary cap. Otherwise, its just a slightly modified fantasy football team.

Good Point... I may have to make some changes...

Offense

QB Drew Brees; NO

RB Adrian Peterson; MIN

WR Larry Fitzgerald; ARZ

WR Calvin Johnson; DET

TE Jason Witten; DAL

LT Joe Thomas; CLE

LG Jason Peters; PHI

C Nick Mangold; NYJ

RG Davin Joseph; TB

RT Jordan Gross; CAR

Defense

LE Mario Williams; HOU

DT Haloti Ngata; BAL

DT Vince Wilfork; NE

RE Justin Tuck; NYG

OLB Paul Posluszny; BUF

MLB Patrick Willis; SF

OLB Shawne Merriman; SD

CB Nnamdi Asomugha; OAK

CB Champ Bailey; DEN

FS LaRon Landry; WAS

SS Troy Palomalu; PIT

What I find amazing is oh how the tables have turned on Drew Brees. People in San Diego were so disgruntled with him to the point that they drafted Philip Rivers in Brees' fourth year. Then even after his solid 04-05 campaigns, they felt Rivers was a better QB. Now, Brees is arguably the best QB in the league (at level with Brady and Manning). I would look for similar things to happen to our boy Trent this year (I don't mean him being the best, but putting #'s up circa Brees 04 campaign)

By the way, Posluszny is an ILB. He doesn't have the speed to play on the outside.

What I find amazing is oh how the tables have turned on Drew Brees. People in San Diego were so disgruntled with him to the point that they drafted Philip Rivers in Brees' fourth year. Then even after his solid 04-05 campaigns, they felt Rivers was a better QB. Now, Brees is arguably the best QB in the league (at level with Brady and Manning). I would look for similar things to happen to our boy Trent this year (I don't mean him being the best, but putting #'s up circa Brees 04 campaign)

By the way, Posluszny is an ILB. He doesn't have the speed to play on the outside.

I hope Trent has a coming out party much like Brees. I think a major reason why the Chargers thought Rivers was a better fit than Brees was that major shoulder injury Brees suffered.

Also, Poz played some OLB in college and I'm sure he has the speed to play the outside. It is usually an easier and more common transition for a player to go from middle to outside linebacker.

How about instead of taking Witten from Dallas you take Gonzo from Atlanta and then take Demarcus Ware from Dallas to replace POZ. Then I would agree with the other posters and say that Tommie Harris is a better pick than Wilfork. That would free up New England for me to take Brady at QB. Also it would free up Buffalo if you needed to go deeper at WR so Owens could be picked. Also I love Calvin Jonson but hes pretty much the same reciever as FItz so I would take Andre Johnson because he is better at short and intermediate routes. Replaceing Ngata means I can take Ed Reed at FS plus I would take Osi over Tuck from the NYG and Hayensworth from Washington since Landry is out. My team would then end up being:

QB Tom Brady; NE

RB Adrian Peterson; MIN

WR Larry Fitzgerald; ARZ

WR Andre Johnson; HOU

TE Tony Gonzolaz; ATL

LT Joe Thomas; CLE

LG Jason Peters; PHI

C Nick Mangold; NYJ

RG Davin Joseph; TB

RT Jordan Gross; CAR

Defense

LE Mario Williams; HOU

DT Tommie Harris; CHI

DT Albert Haynesworth; WAS

RE Osi Umenyoria; NYG

OLB Demarcus Ware; DAL

MLB Patrick Willis; SF

OLB Shawne Merriman; SD

CB Nnamdi Asomugha; OAK

CB Champ Bailey; DEN

FS Ed Reed; BALT

SS Troy Palomalu; PIT

My team would kick your teams arse

Offense

QB Drew Brees; NO

RB Adrian Peterson; MIN

WR Larry Fitzgerald; ARZ

WR Calvin Johnson; DET

TE Jason Witten; DAL

LT Joe Thomas; CLE

LG Jason Peters; PHI

C Nick Mangold; NYJ

RG Davin Joseph; TB

RT Jordan Gross; CAR

Defense

LE Mario Williams; HOU

DT Haloti Ngata; BAL

DT Vince Wilfork; NE

RE Justin Tuck; NYG

OLB Paul Posluszny; BUF

MLB Patrick Willis; SF

OLB Shawne Merriman; SD

CB Nnamdi Asomugha; OAK

CB Champ Bailey; DEN

FS LaRon Landry; WAS

SS Troy Palomalu; PIT

go ahead and add

Special Teams

P Mason Crosby; GB

K Kyle Larson; CIN

you also had one less player on the Offense -

a flex player can be added to fit RB/FB/WR/TE, i'd add any one of

RB Ronnie Brown; MIA or RB Maurice Jones-Drew; JAC or RB Steven Jackson; STL

Defense

LE Mario Williams; HOU

DT Tommie Harris; CHI

DT Albert Haynesworth; WAS

RE Osi Umenyoria; NYG

OLB Demarcus Ware; DAL

MLB Patrick Willis; SF

OLB Shawne Merriman; SD

CB Nnamdi Asomugha; OAK

CB Champ Bailey; DEN

FS Ed Reed; BALT

SS Troy Palomalu; PIT

I don't know what you'd do with Ware and Merriman as your OLBs in a 4-3. Are you rushing 6 guys on every down?