Attn: soccer fans (just wait 'til next year!)

Cugalabanza

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting that feeling. That feeling that something amazing is about to happen.

Is it too late for me to cash in on this? <_<:worthy:

Holy sh#%balls! That makes me feel real good! I agree that Howard was man of the match. But everyone out there showed heart. Just awesome!

I haven't been this too much... Nice job USA! I have to ask, how in the heck did USA get here? I just saw that they will play in the finals. What I mean is, haven't they lost too many games in the tourney to even be where they are? I was catching glimpses here and there throughout and it seems the US were always losing. Someone explain the Cliff Notes version of this tourney... I am lazy. <_<

I haven't been this too much... Nice job USA! I have to ask, how in the heck did USA get here? I just saw that they will play in the finals. What I mean is, haven't they lost too many games in the tourney to even be where they are? I was catching glimpses here and there throughout and it seems the US were always losing. Someone explain the Cliff Notes version of this tourney... I am lazy. <_<

They got in a very Buffalo Bills kinda way.

USA had to win by 3, while Brazil had to win by 3 against Italy. Both happened.

USA had 3 pts, same as Italy

USA had a -2 goal difference, same as Italy

So the tiebreaker was goals scored

USA scored 4 goals, against Italy's 3.......Bills win, I mean USA ( same thing )

I'm no soccer expert but even the tv guys were saying they were getting to the ball to late in their end. Looked like a hockey power play most of the game. But maybe that was the idea? They flooded their own zone with defenders. Gave Spain no clean shots.

PTR

Basically, they were killing a power play......USA was down a man for the last 10 min. plus injury time...but beside that.....Spain #1 in the world.

If the USA played them 100 times they would probably lose 97 times so it is no surprise they couldn't trade chances and possessions 1 for 1.

I guess that is what makes sports fun.

Basically, they were killing a power play......USA was down a man for the last 10 min. plus injury time...but beside that.....Spain #1 in the world.

If the USA played them 100 times they would probably lose 97 times so it is no surprise they couldn't trade chances and possessions 1 for 1.

I wouldn't say it's anything like killing a PP. Playing 10 on 11 is pretty much only a hindrance to your offense and it's pretty rare to lose a two goal lead in kickball.

Now that the U.S. has actually won a game against a world class opponent, kickball is sure to take off here. <_<

They got in a very Buffalo Bills kinda way.

USA had to win by 3, while Brazil had to win by 3 against Italy. Both happened.

USA had 3 pts, same as Italy

USA had a -2 goal difference, same as Italy

So the tiebreaker was goals scored

USA scored 4 goals, against Italy's 3.......Bills win, I mean USA ( same thing )

That's about as back door as it gets this side of Sir Mix-A-Lot.

Hey man! Where have you been hiding? Haven't seen you in a long while! You been doin' okay??

You are correct PTR, The guys were tired. They get an extra day to rest

before Sunday's CHAMPIONSHIP match.

After the first two matches can you believe the USA will be in the finals ?

And FIFA has to get rid of those damn horns...

esp before 2010

I think FiFA has other things to worry about, namely security.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/sports/more/Egyt...ting-Italy.html

Congrats USofA!

Hey man! Where have you been hiding? Haven't seen you in a long while! You been doin' okay??

He's been posting at PPP and losing debates :worthy:

in all seriousness, I loved the analogy of power play killing that Benedict made, because at times it did seem to me like a hockey match, in the fact that US defenders were flying around, sacraficing their bodies and blocking shots on goal that very well could have been goals. There must have been at least 5 shots on goal that were blocked from our defenders. Great Effort!! A lot of Heart!!!

<_<

There must have been at least 5 shots on goal that were blocked from our defenders. Great Effort!! A lot of Heart!!!

<_<

I can't even tell you how stressed out I was watching that. I was so tempted to FF on the DVR just because I couldn't stand the agony of not knowing if they'd hold up! lol Spain was putting shot after shot on goal, getting nice looks, but Howard and the D were just fuggin unreal. Onyewu would just appear out of nowhere to make the play! There were a couple times where the shot hit a US player just enough to change the trajectory....I thought for sure one of those would catch Howard off balance and go in the net. Wow, they held off the best team in the world, with arguably the best PLAYER in the world, to a shutout....amazing!!

I wouldn't say it's anything like killing a PP. Playing 10 on 11 is pretty much only a hindrance to your offense and it's pretty rare to lose a two goal lead in kickball.

Now that the U.S. has actually won a game against a world class opponent, kickball is sure to take off here. :worthy:

<_<

I don't see it taking off, ever.

But I enjoy the internationals.

I really find the Major League Soccer unwatchable.

But I'll always tune in for the World Cup.

Gringo, you may have to bump up that number.

:ph34r:

By the way, I just want to call out Donovan for a great game. He was all over the place, filling in wherever it was needed. Sometimes they track certain players total running (usually around 5-6 miles). I'd be curious to see Donovan's for this game. Plus, he consistently made good touches on the ball, relieving pressure and moving forward. A+

This one felt a little bit like the 2006 WC game against Italy that ended in a draw, only better! Donovan basically playing several positions at once, lifting up the whole team by example. He does not always play up to his potential, but in games like this he proves his worth.

Onyewu, DeMerit, Bocanegra, Howard, Jozy were all great too. Really, I did not see a poor performance out there. The total effort and dedication was a joy to watch!

One other thing that I'm excited about: Feilhaber looks to be back in top form. For a while there, it seemed like he disappeared from the scene. I expect that without Bradley (the red card was total crap in my opinion), Feilhaber will get the start in the final.

U - S - A!

U - S - A!

U - S - A!

U - S - A!

U - S - A!

Whew!

And yesterday was the first day on the job at US Soccer for my GF!

I hesitate to call this a win, it was more a gift and/or heist, depending on your perspective. The second goal was shamefully lucky. Donovan was an idiot to try and make that pass. He should have fired away. But what the hell, I'm not complaining! :ph34r:

Any chance host South Africa upsets the Brazilians? I think not, but I believe the best thing to have happened so far was getting a beat down from Brazil in our first contest. My heart tells me Brazil will beat us however, whenever and wherever they want, and that after the Spain game we shouldn't cross our fingers for another miracle, but ya just neva know!

U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A!

Anybody watch the Brazil / S.A. game yesterday? S.A. surprised me. They nearly stole it. I think Brazil will be more focused in the final.

By the way, what happened to that fun Brazillian style? This new generation of Brazillian football is boring. Still effective, but all the love is gone.

Anybody watch the Brazil / S.A. game yesterday? S.A. surprised me. They nearly stole it. I think Brazil will be more focused in the final.

By the way, what happened to that fun Brazillian style? This new generation of Brazillian football is boring. Still effective, but all the love is gone.

I caught the game and while clincher was a sweet sweet sweet shot, was there any doubt whatsoever that they would score in that situation?

My entrance into the world of international soccer was shamefully recent. Care to elaborate on how they've changed their style? This is one aspect of the game (styles adopted by respective countries) I'm still learning about but interests me greatly.

I caught the game and while clincher was a sweet sweet sweet shot, was there any doubt whatsoever that they would score in that situation?

My entrance into the world of international soccer was shamefully recent. Care to elaborate on how they've changed their style? This is one aspect of the game (styles adopted by respective countries) I'm still learning about but interests me greatly.

It's difficult to explain in words, but I would say that it was more free flowing attacking brand of soccer, more flair, pizazz, higher skillset, with defenders included in the attack. Many beautiful, individual moves, great low crosses into the middle.

Where as today, they are more organized defensively, seem to be playing a more structured style of soccer, that encourages discipline in the back.

Don't get me wrong, the skillset is still probably the highest in the world, and they do play with lots of flair, but maybe not as much as what we had seen before. Also, I do believe that this Brazilian team looks awesome, what they had maybe lost in pizazz they have compensated in discipline, so I do still consider them in the top 2-3 in the world.

Also, I read how you believed it was pure luck the 2nd goal we scored, and I do agree that there was some luck involved, I would say what played a huge contributing part to that goal was how we counterattacked very rapidly from the back, it took their defense by surprise, there was a very nice pass that allowed Donovan plenty of time to decide whether he was going to shoot or pass the ball, and if you look at the replay, Altidore made a very nice run to the middle of the box in which if the ball was fed to him he would of been open for a shot, and not only that Dempseys attacking run to the back of the goal is what allowed him to be in position for that goal.

If we hadn't attacked them so swiftly on that counterattack, their defense would of been in a better position to clear that ball. That's what happens when you attack quickly, it puts defenders in positions that they shouldn't be, and we capitalized on it.