Is it unsportsmanlike to change who you root for?

The_Real

The key to making this so wrong is growing up and being a Braves fan for 22 years, then becoming a divisional rival's fan only two years after moving from Atlanta to Philly.

He is a slut. :nana:

This is specifically about baseball but you can widen the conversation to any sport. A friend of mine grew up an Atlanta Braves fan for over 22 years. Two years ago, he took a job working in the suburbs of philly. Then, last summer told me he had become a Phillies fan.

S E R I O U S L Y?

Can you do that? I mean seriously, is that even allowed? That would be like going from being a Bills fan then moving to Boston and rooting the Patriots. I called shenanigans. I told him that was the weakest thing a fan could do, to bail on his team but worse to root for another team in the division. What made it worse for me is that they went on to win the World Series.

So, My fellow wallers, Is that not weak?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The key to making this so wrong is growing up and being a Braves fan for 22 years, then becoming a divisional rival's fan only two years after moving from Atlanta to Philly.

He is a slut. :thumbsup:

End thread. Can't be said better.

:thumbsup:

I was a "serious" Angels fan for two decades when I lived in soCal and have become a "casual" Giants fan since I moved to SF. Kind of hard to follow a team if you can't watch any of their games, I just like having a team to follow. The Angles come up here in a couple of weeks for inter-league play against the Giants and I'm not sure who to root for. :wallbash:

Couldn't you just fly in for all of their games?

Is baseball a sport? :doh:

If BB adopted a pitchers clock and not letting the batter back out of the box it would be a much more interesting sport.

Right now all I hear if I tune into a ball game is...

Well, jack last night I took my family to dinner..., strike one on the player, ...and my granddaughter, she's only five, so she takes the straw from her drink and starts making bubbling..., strike two, the player has had a lot of trouble this year with the curve ball. I spoke to the manager and he said..., it's a baseline hit opposing player grabs the ball and it's out number two for team. .... that they've been working with the player on that and he's trying to find a better placement of the bat, ...so my granddaughter takes the straw and starts blowing bubbles in her soup. You should have seen it it was the cutest thing. Player 2 is up to bat and he swings and it's back to the wall and opposing player grabs it for out number three. We'll be back after these messages.

:wallbash:

If BB adopted a pitchers clock and not letting the batter back out of the box it would be a much more interesting sport.

Right now all I hear if I tune into a ball game is...

Well, jack last night I took my family to dinner..., strike one on the player, ...and my granddaughter, she's only five, so she takes the straw from her drink and starts making bubbling..., strike two, the player has had a lot of trouble this year with the curve ball. I spoke to the manager and he said..., it's a baseline hit opposing player grabs the ball and it's out number two for team. .... that they've been working with the player on that and he's trying to find a better placement of the bat, ...so my granddaughter takes the straw and starts blowing bubbles in her soup. You should have seen it it was the cutest thing. Player 2 is up to bat and he swings and it's back to the wall and opposing player grabs it for out number three. We'll be back after these messages.

:wallbash:

Food for thought: Baseball was considered "lightning fast" when it was introduced in the 1800's... I think the "slow" comments are more or less a product the society we live in.

I think the recent influx Chicago Blackhawk fans also fit that. But they sure are not the scourge of the owner's pocket book.

Gotta give the Blackhawk fans a pass on this one. Wirtz was quite possibly the least fan friendly owner of the last thirty years in any sport. Would love to see the reaction in Buffalo all the home Sabres games were blacked out. I think the fans coming back had as much to do with a new owner (Wirtz's kid) taking over and changing policies toward the fans as it did with the better record, though the better record sure didn't hurt :rolleyes:

Now, as someone else mentioned, you can root for new teams when moving to a new city as long as you did not grow up with a team. For instance, once I moved to DC, I became a big Orioles and Bullets fan. As also mentioned, once the Braves moved, I had no loyalty to any NBA team. Al;so became a big MD Terps fan

OTOH, when I move to DC split Caps season tickets with a pal thinking I could eventually come to root for them. Never happened, gave em up after one year.

Short answer, your friend is pure bandwagon.

This is specifically about baseball but you can widen the conversation to any sport. A friend of mine grew up an Atlanta Braves fan for over 22 years. Two years ago, he took a job working in the suburbs of philly. Then, last summer told me he had become a Phillies fan.

That's as pathetic as it gets. For his birthday you must buy him championship tee shirts for the Penguins and Lakers to bust his balls.

:rolleyes:

And I thought your idea about the stadiums was horrible. Good grief.