Joel Bell and Bills FO record with UDFA

zazie

Seems that the Bills have a good record of spotting undrafted players. Leonhard, Peters, Rashard Baker, last years starting safety Greer, etc. Maybe, Bell really showed he was missing something NFL worthy. Giving the FO benefit of the doubt, lets hope retrospect in a couple years bears me out.

What is with all of the love for Bell from everyone on this forum. Did you guys pull it out of you ass?

Honestly, every offseason you guys pick a a UDFA and declare them gods. And each offseason they fail to make the team, and they fail to ever do anything. I believe it as that fullback last year (started with a V)

What is with all of the love for Bell from everyone on this forum. Did you guys pull it out of you ass?

Honestly, every offseason you guys pick a a UDFA and declare them gods. And each offseason they fail to make the team, and they fail to ever do anything. I believe it as that fullback last year (started with a V)

It happens every year. Joel Bell is starting to take on the Martin Nance comparison. Bunch of wallers try to act like they know the hidden undrafted gem, and usually latch on to one per year. It's kinda like when Susan Sarandon latched on to Nuke in Bull Durham, except for the TBD dude never works out. This usually consists of the biggest UDFA at any one position, that someone calls a beast, road grader, project, or freak.

Nance, who no one knew at the time, was an oversized WR out of the MAC. People claimed to see him dominate his league. Do things that never happened before in MAC. This, on top of, he wasn't even the best WR in the MAC at the time. Not to mention that the MAC's top WR's, for the most part, never make it in the pros. He was also one of these annointed ones.

Most likely, Joel Bell just plain sucks as a pro. Nothing more, nothing less. They brought the behemoth in, and then they also realized there was a reason no one else drafted him either.

;)

Don't say "never" works out; we loved us some Jabari Greer back when he was a training-camp all-star, and he turned out okay.

The rest of your point stands ...

Yeah, i can;t believe we wasted our time getting behind players like Jabari Greer and Fred Jackson.

And i assume you guys mean Demetrius Bell? I thought Joel Bell was cut a few days ago?

Yeah, i can;t believe we wasted our time getting behind players like Jabari Greer and Fred Jackson.

And i assume you guys mean Demetrius Bell? I thought Joel Bell was cut a few days ago?

He's pointing out the fact that people on this board were super revved up about Joel Bell, then he got cut.

Demetrius was drafted...you know what they say about assuming things

;) I remember getting blasted on this board for arguing with all the Viti worshipers. I was like the anti-christ for God's sake. I remember certain posters wanting to bet me money that Viti would be our starting fullback come opening day, and then he was cut a week later ;)

I don't recall anyone getting behind Fred Jackson until he played in games. This is different. I'll have to give the benefit of Greer. However, this situation is different.

Everyone was all over Martin Nance's nutsack because he was a big WR, and nothing more. One person posted about how dominant he was, and then a bunch of people latched on. And, as it turns out, he sucked. But just because the dude was big (as in physically large), everyone annointed him. It's been done here in the past, and I'm assuming Bell was yet another guy that people think just because he's huge he's a great project. Maybe he will be (with someone else), but chances are, he sucks.

This isn't the same thing as seeing Fred Jackson dominate pre-season games and the like. These guys are annointed right after the draft.

;) I remember getting blasted on this board for arguing with all the Viti worshipers. I was like the anti-christ for God's sake. I remember certain posters wanting to bet me money that Viti would be our starting fullback come opening day, and then he was cut a week later ;)

if he was worse than corey mcintyre he must have really sucked!

I would think that the Bills have amongst the best record in the league considering UDFA over the last 5-10 years, if not the very best. What fans seem to ignore is the fact that all teams sign about 20-30 of these guys over the course of the year and if one or two of them make your roster, you're doing well. Just jumping all over one player is just pure guesswork even if four years from now you're proven right.

It's like these hunches people have, and they say "I KNEW that was gonna happen! I told you!" That may well have been true, but they also had 30 other similar hunches espoused in that time period that didn't come true.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Sort of consistent with the quality of your posts, huh?

The league's full of UDFA's that make valuable contributions to their teams. Hitting on one is the real lottery win of each draft season and one component in the mix of how mediocre teams start to move to the next level. But, hey, let's slag that concept because many TSW junior GMs never heard of these guys before, so they have to suck.

Carry on, kids...

I don't recall anyone getting behind Fred Jackson until he played in games. This is different. I'll have to give the benefit of Greer. However, this situation is different.

Everyone was all over Martin Nance's nutsack because he was a big WR, and nothing more. One person posted about how dominant he was, and then a bunch of people latched on. And, as it turns out, he sucked. But just because the dude was big (as in physically large), everyone annointed him. It's been done here in the past, and I'm assuming Bell was yet another guy that people think just because he's huge he's a great project. Maybe he will be (with someone else), but chances are, he sucks.

This isn't the same thing as seeing Fred Jackson dominate pre-season games and the like. These guys are annointed right after the draft.

So what? People get excited about UDFAs because they are house money. When one turns out to be good, or even shows some glimpses, its very exciting. Its called positivity. Its more fun to get excited about the possibility of a UDFA turning out good.

Besides, declaring a UDFA is going to suck and not make it is really going out on a limb. ;)

I think it's great when UDFA make a pro team. I was an early fan of Joel Bell. They all don't make it that is why you sign a bunch of them. What is the big deal?