Classic video - Last 2 minutes of Bills/dolphins 9/10/89

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you..thank you...thank you. I LOVED that game. Made my day. Hell..it made my week!

I loved the emotion from Levy at the end, and making Shula take the shame walk to the end zone to say congrats. :doh:

Yep. I watched it last night as a run-on from the Reed videos. What a great way to start a season. Missing though, was how far we came back in that game. Kelly tossed a long TD to Trumain Johnson -I believe- just before Danny Boy took over needing one first down to ice the game. Helping that great Kelly play was the offsides we caught the Dolphins in as Jimbo spiked the ball to stop the clock. Otherwise, the ball was on the 8 yd line and a pass would have been mandatory.

I recall Kelly was pretty baged up from both the Dolphins smacking his hips as he dove across the goal line.

The endzone pile-on is a classic Bills hi-lite! I took 15 minutes to get the players back on the field for the extra point and Miami didn't even have 11 players for it. Ha!

Johnson was one of the best receivers in the USFL but didn't pan out with the Bills and some guy named Lofton would take his place later in the year and, eventually, his number.

Quick, what was James' first # as a Bill?

Yep. I watched it last night as a run-on from the Reed videos. What a great way to start a season. Missing though, was how far we came back in that game. Kelly tossed a long TD to Trumain Johnson -I believe- just before Danny Boy took over needing one first down to ice the game. Helping that great Kelly play was the offsides we caught the Dolphins in as Jimbo spiked the ball to stop the clock. Otherwise, the ball was on the 8 yd line and a pass would have been mandatory.

I recall Kelly was pretty baged up from both the Dolphins smacking his hips as he dove across the goal line.

The endzone pile-on is a classic Bills hi-lite! I took 15 minutes to get the players back on the field for the extra point and Miami didn't even have 11 players for it. Ha!

Johnson was one of the best receivers in the USFL but didn't pan out with the Bills and some guy named Lofton would take his place later in the year and, eventually, his number.

Quick, what was James' first # as a Bill?

86?

Our neighbor's daughter was a young kid then and she was playing outside during theat game. Since it was September, the windows were open. She said she could hear the roar from both her house and ours when Kelly scored.

Contrast that to when I first moved to the SF area. It was the Niners last Super Bowl and I lived in an apartment in Silicon Valley. I watched it with the windows open to hear the cheers when they won. Not a sound before, during. or after the game.

I loved the emotion from Levy at the end, and making Shula take the shame walk to the end zone to say congrats. :doh:

I remember after the game when a reporter asked shula, "how tough of a loss it was" All he said was "it is enough to make me want to cry". Right then & there I knew the bills were in for a nice run in the afc east. They got into Miami's heads that day & back then they were the main competition for the division.

Greatest thing is I was at the game, in the endzone where Kelly scored about 10 rows up, and I remember heading back down to the Keys after the game and listening to a Dolphin fan on the radio say "I am just sick to my stomach after watching that". Gotta Love It!!!!!!!!!

Not that anyone cares, but I was at that game.

I got a good story about this game.

I had just moved to Miami to work with a friend of mine. I had only been there a few weeks and didnt know the town very well. I was all set to watch the game on TV but it was blacked out. So at the last minute I found myself on the bus no less making my way to Joe Robbie stadium.

This is a small world I swear. On the bus I meet a older couple who were on there way to the game as well who happen to be retiries from Cheektowaga. They said hello to me just because I had a Bills hat on. I sat next to them on the bus and they said were are you sitting. I said I was taking a chance on getting a ticket. Luck on my side they told me there son had to work and they would sell me the extra ticket.

Well we got to the staduim and had a "few" drinks and got to know them a little bit. They ended up giving me the ticket for free. I was surprised how many bills fans were in the section we were in.

I clearing remember the last half of the 4th Quarter. Nate made a key INT to set things up. I thought they were going to lose up until that point. When Kelly scored we went crazy. I am glad I saw it because I think that game was the turning point for the franchise. It was my first road Bills game.