DTV contract is up...

EZC-Boston

Assuming Fez will chime in but anybody else with recent experience, would be much appreciated.

Right now I have the Choice XTRA + HD DVR Locals Included package and pay $75.99/month. I know they are offering better deals to new customers. Right now I think it is $21 off a month for new customers and think I should be able to get something similar.

Do I call the cable company and see what the best offer I can get is then go to DTV? (FYI - I will be staying with DTV no matter what).

What's the best way to get the best deal?

Assuming Fez will chime in but anybody else with recent experience, would be much appreciated.

Right now I have the Choice XTRA + HD DVR Locals Included package and pay $75.99/month. I know they are offering better deals to new customers. Right now I think it is $21 off a month for new customers and think I should be able to get something similar.

Do I call the cable company and see what the best offer I can get is then go to DTV? (FYI - I will be staying with DTV no matter what).

What's the best way to get the best deal?

You can try it.....I did that and got a deal, maybe 10 bucks off a month. I was threatening to move to Comcast, and even though I had a cancellation fee (from when I upgraded to HDTV), they gave me a deal.

DTV seems willing to negotiate if you've been a long time customer.

Yup. Just tell them to upgrade your package (the tv one) and drop your costs or you will lose a customer. The only thing about direct tv is their customer service blows.

Do you have the Sunday ticket? Thats the main reason I stay with DTV.

Yup. Just tell them to upgrade your package (the tv one) and drop your costs or you will lose a customer. The only thing about direct tv is their customer service blows.

Do you have the Sunday ticket? Thats the main reason I stay with DTV.

Sunday Ticket is the probably the #1 reason I'm with DTV and will stay no matter what.

I do object to the HD broadcasts being on another, higher priced tier. I am keeping the Ticket...but I can live with standard def for the Bills games.

Call them and tell them that you want the Super Fan (HD) package for free. I did it before last season and they said ok with no hassle.

Call them and tell them that you want the Super Fan (HD) package for free. I did it before last season and they said ok with no hassle.

Nice play. they screwed up my service order so bad (3 times to be exact) took 2 days off work. I was an inch away from Comcast, they gave me 2 months free and premium channels for 1 year, all of them.

Last April when I upgraded to HD I called DTV and told them that Dish was offering a better deal, and that they were going to pay my cancellation fees (in reality I never called Dish). They gave me a year free HD, $10 off every month for a year on top of the free HD, and SuperFan free for the season.

I am in California, and if I wanna see the Bills I have to get Sunday Ticket....the HD only coming with SuperFan sucks, but I am not changing until something better comes out. I have had no problems with DTV, and their customer service was good for me...

Last April when I upgraded to HD I called DTV and told them that Dish was offering a better deal, and that they were going to pay my cancellation fees (in reality I never called Dish). They gave me a year free HD, $10 off every month for a year on top of the free HD, and SuperFan free for the season.

I am in California, and if I wanna see the Bills I have to get Sunday Ticket....the HD only coming with SuperFan sucks, but I am not changing until something better comes out. I have had no problems with DTV, and their customer service was good for me...

I tried the "threaten to change" route with Dish Network and they wouldn't budge, so I switched to DTV. After it was installed, I called Dish to cancel and THEN they promised me the moon and the stars ... Bozos!

Really? What the hell, it's worth a shot. :rolleyes:

They were dangling the free Super Fan for new subscribers, so I called up and said that wasn't quite fair to loyal customers like me. I fully expected to have to make some cancellation threats etc., but the first CSR I got immediately upgraded me to the free package so I imagine that they get this exact request a lot. I think a few posters here have mentioned they have had the free Super Fan for several years in a row now.

I also got a deal when I upgraded to three HD DVR's.

Every time I've tried something like this, the customer service folks don't budge. DTV has some of the worst customer service in the world-- and yet, due to ticket, we're all hooked on it like a bad drug.

3 HD DVRs. Well la de da.... :rolleyes:

make that 4 here. Sunday Ticket and Sirius NFL only way to watch football. pause game for Radio to catch up and never have to listen to network Nimrods again.

Dont play games with teh DTV CSR just call up and ask nicely many times the simple and nice approach gets better deals than the I am going to leave approach. Also if your an AT&T sub ya can get a 10$ off credit

How long have you had true full blown HD??

Year and a half maybe. Something like that.

I see where you are going here, and there is obviously a huge difference in the quality. But, I figure, I used to catch most of the Bills games in the heydey of the 90s on the radio because I worked my gas station job on Saturdays and Sundays. If I can deal with that, I can deal with standard def for a chunk of games. Remember, some of the Bills games will be nationally televised. I am sure there will be a couple of weeks where the Bills game is played in HD locally for me because the Pats have a bye, or are playing a night game or something. So, the question is: is it worth the extra $100 to watch maybe 10 games that I really care about in HD? So far, it hasn't been.

My wife and I make good livings, we can pay the mortgage and cars, student loans and are paying down out credit card debt but it's hard for me to defend to my wife that I need to spend a total of $275 to watch Bills games. Besides, as she's a local she's a (very tepid) Pats fan :rolleyes: