Crystal Beach Memories

Ah, Crystal Beach . . .

- Cheektowaga Day with busloads of my friends . . .

- The smell of fresh blacktop sealer . . .

- The way the cars on the Wild Mouse tilted on the hairpin turns at the top and then slammed back down . . .

- Looking out over the lake on the tow up the first hill of the Comet.

- The Laff in the Dark . . .

- The Scrambler in the Dark with lasers and LOUD music . . .

- Best Bumper Cars ever, period.

- Funnel Cakes, yum . . .

and a Cinammon sucker on the car-ride home.

Ah, Crystal Beach . . .

- Cheektowaga Day with busloads of my friends . . .

- The smell of fresh blacktop sealer . . .

- The way the cars on the Wild Mouse tilted on the hairpin turns at the top and then slammed back down . . .

- Looking out over the lake on the tow up the first hill of the Comet.

- The Laff in the Dark . . .

- The Scrambler in the Dark with lasers and LOUD music . . .

- Best Bumper Cars ever, period.

- Funnel Cakes, yum . . .

and a Cinammon sucker on the car-ride home.

I remember the Wild Mouse scaring the crap out of me when I was a kid.

sure did make that last qtr in school as important was well. this was back when each ride cost a certain amount of tickets, and loblaws had a promotion fopr free tickets depending on how many A's you made. Man, the last report card was SOOO important.

Great Article - unfortunately, my experience with "amusement parks" in WNY started with Darien Lakes. I actually worked there for a period of time. The water slide was always the best assignment as at least once a day and often more frequently some poor girl would lose the top of her bathing suit on the way down the slide. Cheap thrills for a bunch of adolescent boys.

Thanks for the ride on the Comet!!! Brought back so many good memories of family and friends!

Will always remember my grandfather's hat blowing into the lake every time we rode.

Loved the suckers at the entrance of the park!

Skee ball. The real skee ball!

Chuckeling old lady oustide the Laff in the Dark.

Tilted floor in the Magic Carpet.

Believe I have my fear of heights today due to the Wild Mouse.

Viseo of the Comet for your viewing pleasure

Awesome!! Thanks for the post. The climb up that first hill used to always freak me out as a kid, I was afraid the train would jump the tracks and we would end up in Lake Erie. :(

Man that brought back great memories.

I remember my grandmother taking me and my cousins every summer and we would come home with the Loganberry badges of honor (read: loganberry stains) all over our shirts. Begging for "one last ride" before the long trek back to southern Chaut Co. Spending ridiculous amounts of money on the midway games. Bringing home four or five plastic MLB batting helmets each time from the "guess your speed" game.

Grandma's health is failling her now, it's funny how you chose the timing of this article CVM. It reminds of the good days with Gram. Thank you...

Awesome!! Thanks for the post. The climb up that first hill used to always freak me out as a kid, I was afraid the train would jump the tracks and we would end up in Lake Erie. :censored:

Man that brought back great memories.

I remember my grandmother taking me and my cousins every summer and we would come home with the Loganberry badges of honor (read: loganberry stains) all over our shirts. Begging for "one last ride" before the long trek back to southern Chaut Co. Spending ridiculous amounts of money on the midway games. Bringing home four or five plastic MLB batting helmets each time from the "guess your speed" game.

Grandma's health is failling her now, it's funny how you chose the timing of this article CVM. It reminds of the good days with Gram. Thank you...

Glad I could help bring back some good memories. My thoughts go out to your Gram.

Viseo of the Comet for your viewing pleasure

That first plunge after the long slow climb to the top was always a thrill, and a bit of a fright as well - right at water's edge, it seemed like you'd plunge right into the lake.

BTW - the Comet was built partially from track and structure 'recycled' from the original Crystal Beach Cyclone roller coaster. Opened in 1927 and demolished in 1946, it is said to be one of the most frightening roller coasters to ever be built. I wasn't around then, but some of my older relatives confirm that opinion.

"Reports say the ride at Crystal Beach drew 75,000 on opening day and crowds were so heavy that a railing was broken by those pushing to get close to the new ride. One patron rode 67 times that day and on its second day of operation, two boys rode 52 times."

link

Loved the Fun House...best one I was ever in.

So much for nostalgia...

Don't believe everything you read in the Buffalo news. I am a little bit of an insider when it comes to what is going on there. The deal is that the beaches all stay PUBLIC beaches where the development is being proposed. Right now its 2 13 storey Condos off erie road with commercial development along the bottom for "beach type" commercial buisnesses. Accross Erie road is parking and some more commercial buisness areas that are being proposed. Part of the deal with the town of Fort erie is that IF they do ever want to expand and buy more lakefront property to continue a development, the beach part of the property is donated to the town and kept as public beach.

from what I have seen, its a nice proposal and might bring in some money to Crystal Beach. by the way, there is a marker on the corner of erie road and I believe Ridge, where the park used to be to commemorate the old amusment park. That area is now a gated beach community.