WR situation

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who thinks Josh Reed needs to go doesn't know poop about football. This board has gotten ridiculous.

He's been as consistent as anyone on our team over the last 2-3 years, He actually likes playing in Buffalo and He keeps his nose clean with the law, yeah sounds like someone we don't want around here.

Dumbasses. :thumbsup:

I think this is only an issue because we have so many WRs, and dont want to get rid of any of them, but probably should free up a roster spot.

Terrell Owens - Keep..but probably only for this year...

Lee Evans - Will be around for a while

James Hardy - #2 pick last year...cant get rid of him yet.

Josh Reed - Good possession receiver and blocker. Great role guy.

Roscoe Parish - Great punt returner...if we could get his role right on offense. Give him a wes welker role and see what he does

Steve Johnson - Everyone seems high on this kid.

Thats 6 WRs. Not including Jenkins on ST. That is alot of roster spots to tie up. I'd love to cut one roster spot...but who? Especially in light of TO not returning next year (likely scenario).

I have looked at our receiver situation and I am baffled that we continue to employ the likes of Josh Reed. What does he give us really. He once was an award winning receiver coming out of LSU and had all the promise in the world. Now he is nothing more than a third down, possession receiver. He offers nothing as far as special teams, or points. He is too small to be a factor around the goal line (similar to Parrish), but offers nothing after the catch, evident by his 23 consecutive games w/out a TD snapped late last season.

Many believe that parrish should be gone come training camp cuts and i think it should be Reed. Parrish helps on special teams and IMHO would be better served in the slot given the abundance of opportunities that Reed has seen. Also Steve Johnson would be nice to put in the slot with Evans and Owens if he can keep up the play he closed out 2008 with. I also think that 5 receivers is what will make the 53 man roster and Evans, Owens, Johnson, Parrish and Hardy seem to me to be our best 5.

After 8 years of Reed simply being a small possession receiver that disappears when needed, it is time to move on and give parrish and johnson more opportunities to shine. Parrish would be great in the slot between the twenties and then use johnson and hardy in the slots inside the twenties. Those are my "hopes", let me know your opinions!

If anything I'm very glad that you looked over the WR situation, your input is paramount, I've forwarded this post to Coach Jauron and Ralph Wilson, I'm sure you'll hear from them.

By the way, it's "change" not "chang".

Josh Reed seemed to come through for us in big situations a lot of times last year. He does know where the markers are and he gets us first downs, and he can run after the catch. When lined up outside, he's not in his natural position and doesn't succeed as he does in the slot. He is what he is - not perfect - but, good at blocking, good at making first down catches, and consistent. Until a reciever on our team shows he's capable of more, on a consistent basis, then I think it'd be absurd for us to let him go. He doesn't have a monster contract. And, even if one of the rookies proved equal to the task, I'd still like Josh around for injury purposes, or four wide sets. We haven't got so deep in one season to be thinking like this.

And, if we let him go today, my guess is he'd have four or five teams looking to pick him up, and that article about how the Bills let go of their better talent would be more relevant than it might otherwise have been.

Now he is nothing more than a third down, possession receiver. He offers nothing as far as special teams, or points. He is too small to be a factor around the goal line (similar to Parrish), but offers nothing after the catch, evident by his 23 consecutive games w/out a TD snapped late last season.

He has been one of the few bright spots on third down for the Bills lately. You could at least count on Reed:

1. Getting to the 1st down marker

2. Getting open

3. Catching the ball

4. Not holding out, missing camp or being a giant PITA

First of all comparing Reed to Ward is an insult to an eventual HOFer. Secondly saying that Parrish is too small to block is no different. that was my point. If parrish is "too small", then Reed is not much bigger.

My whole point is that the potential of this offense is better served getting johnson and parrish in one on one matchups with safties and nickle backs, than it is to just hand the position to Reed and have that take up a receiver spot that is too limited this year. Reed one on one in the slot is what opposing teams would rather too!

i think you missed his point

aside from that...we do not know if johnson is legit-everything being said about him is all ota fluff. has potential...but he is still questionable.

parrish can not get off the line of scrimmage as well as reed.

3rd possession receivers are priceless. i am glad we have reed

He [Reed] has always been our best blocking receiver...
Actually, for years he was consistently behind Moulds in that category. Sam Aiken was also a willing and able blocker, but was never a good enough receiver that it mattered.

As for what all those chain moving receptions and two extra yards on the occasional run have amounted to over the last few years, yeah it gets annoying to watch the guy catch a ball and fall down waiting to be touched, step out of bounds, or simply do nothing other than catch it. What i am saying is that it is time for new blood and to see what these other WR's can do.

I'm calling BS on the bolded part. I'm sure you could find an example of this happening (if you watched the games), but that is definitely atypical for Reed who has been willing to take defenders head-on.

And OTAs, mini-camp, training camp and pre-season are exactly the time to see what "these other WRs can do." Do you really think Reed is stealing so much playing time from them it hurts the team and we should cut Reed now? (BTW- that's rhetorical.)

I think this is only an issue because we have so many WRs, and dont want to get rid of any of them, but probably should free up a roster spot.

Terrell Owens - Keep..but probably only for this year...

Lee Evans - Will be around for a while

James Hardy - #2 pick last year...cant get rid of him yet.

Josh Reed - Good possession receiver and blocker. Great role guy.

Roscoe Parish - Great punt returner...if we could get his role right on offense. Give him a wes welker role and see what he does

Steve Johnson - Everyone seems high on this kid.

Thats 6 WRs. Not including Jenkins on ST. That is alot of roster spots to tie up. I'd love to cut one roster spot...but who? Especially in light of TO not returning next year (likely scenario).

I think all six make the roster, and would be shocked to see any dropped or added to the PS (are Hardy or Johnson even eligible any more)? I think Jenkins will be the victim of the TO signing. I don't think he's PS eligible any more, but think he's worth a slot if so. Perhaps Felton Huggins is Jenkins v2.0....

I have looked at our receiver situation and I am baffled that we continue to employ the likes of Josh Reed. What does he give us really. He once was an award winning receiver coming out of LSU and had all the promise in the world. Now he is nothing more than a third down, possession receiver. He offers nothing as far as special teams, or points. He is too small to be a factor around the goal line (similar to Parrish), but offers nothing after the catch, evident by his 23 consecutive games w/out a TD snapped late last season.

Many believe that parrish should be gone come training camp cuts and i think it should be Reed. Parrish helps on special teams and IMHO would be better served in the slot given the abundance of opportunities that Reed has seen. Also Steve Johnson would be nice to put in the slot with Evans and Owens if he can keep up the play he closed out 2008 with. I also think that 5 receivers is what will make the 53 man roster and Evans, Owens, Johnson, Parrish and Hardy seem to me to be our best 5.

After 8 years of Reed simply being a small possession receiver that disappears when needed, it is time to move on and give parrish and johnson more opportunities to shine. Parrish would be great in the slot between the twenties and then use johnson and hardy in the slots inside the twenties. Those are my "hopes", let me know your opinions!

What rock have you been living under? Reed is not small. Quite the contrary, infact. He began his career as a running back which is why he blocks so well. If your still not sure ask the DB's he hammers. Those penalties he draws from cheap shots are not because he is a waif.

wow, you can't field 5 pro bowl big play receivers on every play. Reed did a fine job as a possession last season and was one of our most consistent threats. He makes important catches and catches that are difficult to make. He's a valued role player and the kind of guy that is verymuch needed to have success in this league.

THe time to jetison Reed was about 3-4 years ago when he propped lots of passes and was not that good generally. Although even then a great blocker.

The point is we stuck with him through an unusually long gestation period to let him go now when he is actually really good finally, drops nothing, etc., would not be smart. His best 2-3 years lie directly ahead why should we spend SO many years in development then give away the prize when it finally arrives?

THe time to jetison Reed was about 3-4 years ago when he dropped lots of passes and was not that good generally. Although even then a great blocker.

The point is we stuck with him through an unusually long gestation period to let him go now when he is actually really good finally, drops nothing, etc., would not be smart. His best 2-3 years lie directly ahead why should we spend SO many years in development then give away the prize when it finally arrives?

You apparently don't know much about how valuable a WR can block EXTREMELY well and at the same time be very surehanded.

I don't remember what game it was, but Reed was blocking a safety all day. I remember watching him and the dude was getting more and more pissed the whole game. Reed pissed the guy off so much by finishing his blocks, the guy lost it and hit him late and got a 15 yard penalty. Bills score.

That, my friend, is a tenacious and valuable WR.

I also make the same comparison, Josh Reed is to good to be forgotten, but don't worry though, I'm sure our coaches realize as much and I expect Reed to have one of the best years of his career.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Josh Reed is 5-10, 210 pounds. Roscoe Parrish is 5-9, 171 lbs. Josh Reed outweighs Parrish by 40 pounds.

Facts don't support your opinion. It is time you admit you are wrong.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Josh Reed is 5-10, 210 pounds. Roscoe Parrish is 5-9, 171 lbs. Josh Reed outweighs Parrish by 40 pounds.

Facts don't support your opinion. It is time you admit you are wrong.

The comparison he agreed with was Reed to Hines Ward, not Parrish. If you're going to jump down someone's throat, maybe you should get your facts straight first.

For the record, Ward is a little taller, but lighter, than Reed.