Angelo Crowell Still Recovering

H2o

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2009/06/lb-...s-way-back.html

I guess this blows the argument out of the water that he would've been ready to play last season. He hasn't played football since training camp last year and they're still limiting his reps because of his knee. He's 10 months removed from playing and still recovering? Wow.

I'm not positive, but I believe once he was put on IR he opted for the big surgery, instead of other treatment (maybe arthroscopic) that would have likely made him available later in the season.

I am not exactly bitter towards Crowell, but i really did not like how he handled himself last year. And maybe the Bills Doctors knew he really needed the surgery he got, therefore put him on IR. Wow the Bills are not as dumb as people think.

But that article does clear up wether or not he should/could have played at all last year. And if he is tenative, that does not sound good.

Hope he has a good year for the Bucs, except for when the Bills play them.

Football is a physically brutal game. Once you suffer a serious leg injury, be it knee, ankle, achilles, etc. it is very difficult to come back and play at the same level as before. Not impossible but difficult. (See Sam Cowart, Takeo Spikes, etc.) At his absolute best Crowell was a good but certainly not great player. And his tackling skills were abysmal. I don't think the Bills are all broken up that Angelo Crowell is no longer a member of their team.

Does anyone really think he is going to do much the rest of his NFL career?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Bills did Crowell a favor last year putting him on IR. He needed the major surgery eventually anyway, and by IR'ing him, they made the decision FOR him, to get it done earlier, instead of getting the minor procedure which may have still left him with lingering problems during the season, harming his market value anyway. Had he had this major surgery after the season, he wouldn't have been ready for the start of the 2009 season, and wouldn't have signed with anyone. So Angelo should be grateful to the Bills, but as is usually the case, he probably still thinks he got screwed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Bills did Crowell a favor last year putting him on IR. He needed the major surgery eventually anyway, and by IR'ing him, they made the decision FOR him, to get it done earlier, instead of getting the minor procedure which may have still left him with lingering problems during the season, harming his market value anyway. Had he had this major surgery after the season, he wouldn't have been ready for the start of the 2009 season, and wouldn't have signed with anyone. So Angelo should be grateful to the Bills, but as is usually the case, he probably still thinks he got screwed.

I think it worked out for him, 3mill for one year seems like he did ok for himself this year a leawst

Excellent point, VOR.

I think it worked out for him, 3mill for one year seems like he did ok for himself this year a leawst

It's $3M more than the nothing he would have gotten had he had the major surgery after the season ended. But the Bucs took a huge gamble, and regardless, seriously overspent for him.

Crowell apparently suffered a setback from his knee surgery and the strongside LB'er position is now up for grabs for the Bucs.

The Bucs were hoping free agent signee Angelo Crowell would fill that spot, and he still may. Crowell, however, recently suffered a setback in his return from left knee surgery and that has created an opening at his spot.

I guess this blows the argument out of the water that he would've been ready to play last season. He hasn't played football since training camp last year and they're still limiting his reps because of his knee. He's 10 months removed from playing and still recovering? Wow.

I'm not positive, but I believe once he was put on IR he opted for the big surgery, instead of other treatment (maybe arthroscopic) that would have likely made him available later in the season.

Regardless of more recent events, the Dean is correct. Once he was placed on IR by the Bills he elected to have the more substantial surgery. It was performed about a month after he was placed on IR (the Bills IR'd him before he had any surgery).

If the Bills spent $3M for a LB that couldn't play this year, we'd be hearing how stupid our FO is. When another team does it, it's okay because they made the playoffs in the last 10 years.

This story also highlights how dumb Larry Felser's last column was. He acts like the Bills could have used Crowell last year. Even if he did play how effective would he be with a bad knee?

PTR

Crowell apparently suffered a setback from his knee surgery and the strongside LB'er position is now up for grabs for the Bucs.

this has a sam cowart type of feel to it; another bill who was real good who i really liked but injuries may have gotten the better of him, too bad b/c he was a quality OLB for awhile.

Oviously, Crowell's injury has ended up being much worse then the Bills or perhaps even he thought it was when he decided to have a procedure done to it the week leading up to first game of the season last year.

He's still in his prime. He can afford to miss some more time this season and get the thing taken care of completely. In the entire big picture, I still blame him more then the Bills for his strange decision to shut it down the week going into the regular season. It just shows you how bad the Bills were at OLB last year, when nobody else could beat out Crowell playing on one good leg the entire training camp!