favorite grudge bands

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been on Ugly Truth over and over in the car for about a week now.

The bass drum in that song bloody near breaks out the windshield. And Chris Cornell is just flat out an amazing vocalist and songwriter.

THIS is grunge....right here.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oW-jKaOioE

Gotta give respeck to Layne, too.

You are so special...you have the talent, to make me feel like Dirt. And you...you use that talent, to dig me under and cover me with Dirt.

Whats my drug of choice? Well, what have ya got?

My God............

Offspring. Not sure if you would classify them as grunge though. Seeing them this weekend

The lead singer of the Offspring, Dexter Holland was on the Adam Carolla podcast yesterday. The dude is really into airplanes/flying. Really bright guy.

I'd have to go with Citizen Dick as my favorite Grunge band. "Once again, when the shirtless Cliff Poncier begins singing more pompous, d^(k-swinging swill from a man who has haunted the local scene for much too long... relentlessly mediocre talent.." They are loved in Belgium... and Italy!

:thumbsup:

I like all bands mentioned so far. Don't forget about Screaming Trees, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Sonic Youth, Green River, Modest Mouse, The Melvins, Audioslave, Mad Season, Temple of the Dog, Pearl Jam, Mother LoveBone

It seems so wrong that Alice in Chains is putting out a new CD this year. I don't know a thing about William DuVall, but it just isn't right. Still though, we've got new Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains in september. What year is it again?

I saw them with the new singer last year or the year before and he is good, sounds very similar IMO to Staley

I say that now. The Stones have pretty much sucked since 1970, or so. IMO, of course. :thumbsup:

Really? So, "Sticky Finges" and "Exile On Main Street" suck? C'mon The Dean...you're better than that! :thumbsup:

Maybe I haven't listened to enough Steely Dan, but I don't think the Stones really started sucking until about 1983...their 70's stuff was a little erratic, but the 1978 album "Some Girls" ranks among their best...

Really? So, "Sticky Finges" and "Exile On Main Street" suck? C'mon The Dean...you're better than that! :thumbsup:

Maybe I haven't listened to enough Steely Dan, but I don't think the Stones really started sucking until about 1983...their 70's stuff was a little erratic, but the 1978 album "Some Girls" ranks among their best...

Well, you sure are right about Sticky Fingers, and that was in 1971. So, I stand corrected.

I think Exile is overrated, and to tell the truth I couldn't stand it when it first came out. Over the years, I have softened my stance a little bit, and I no longer think it sucks. But neither do I think it deserves all the praise it gets.

As for Some Girls, no thank you.

But remember, I'm not really a hard core "rock n roll" fan, so I understand my opinion doesn't mesh with that of most Stones' fans.

Well, you sure are right about Sticky Fingers, and that was in 1971. So, I stand corrected.

I think Exile is overrated, and to tell the truth I couldn't stand it when it first came out. Over the years, I have softened my stance a little bit, and I no longer think it sucks. But neither do I think it deserves all the praise it gets.

As for Some Girls, no thank you.

But remember, I'm not really a hard core "rock n roll" fan, so I understand my opinion doesn't mesh with that of most Stones' fans.

Fair enough! :thumbsup:

I remember a few years ago, when Rolling Stone magazine reprinted some reviews of "Exile On Main Street" that were published in 1972, when the album came out. Most reviews were very unkind, basically, saying the album was a "mess" and "sounded terrible...someone should remind Jagger and Richards of the massive improvements made in fidelity over the last few years".

It is funny now, because that ambiance and lackadaisical production quality is what every "serious" rock artist now tries so desperately to re-create. I don't thinks it is overrated at all. A very rich, and textured record. The Stones mastered the melding of almost every genre of American music on that album, seamlessly, and did it without sounding like they were trying too hard. None of it sounds forced. It just sounds like the tape was left rolling on a particularly inspired, drunken, wasted Saturday afternoon. "Tumbling Dice" is, too me, the recording most representitive of the bands true greatness.

I think "Sticky Fingers" is excellent too, but it is a much more traditional pop record.

"Some Girls"(1978) is the perfect rock and roll summer record. Not a bad cut on the album...their last truly great work. I also think "Goat Head Soup" (1973) and "It's Only Rock-n' Roll" (1974) have some fine moments on them. "Black and Blue"(1976) is the only 70's album (IMO) that is really bad. It sounds too contrived. It doesn't flow as a record, and just sounds like a bunch of studio musicians playing off of sheet music. When it was recorded, Mick Taylor had been sacked from the band, and Ron Wood hadn't officially replaced him. Each track had a different lineup...not a good record....

No mention of Tad or Mudhoney? For shame!

And I know Nirvana has not aged well, but Bleach is a pretty damn nice record.

Well, it's pretty obvious this guy doesn't know what he's talking about... as Pearl Jam IS the defenition of grunge. ...

Good call on tad and mudhoney,btw- those are the two bands that actually drove that entire movement- and they were SWEET.

No offense intended to the old !@#$s, but where in the title of this thread did you see an invitation to argue about the rolling stones?

No offense intended to the old !@#$s, but where in the title of this thread did you see an invitation to argue about the rolling stones?

The Stones were brought up by a poster (as was Genesis, I might add). After that, it is in play.

I see you don't post much, so perhaps you are unaware that "invitations to argue" are only sent to an exclusive group of posters. :lol:

The Stones were brought up by a poster (as was Genesis, I might add). After that, it is in play.

I see you don't post much, so perhaps you are unaware that "invitations to argue" are only sent to an exclusive group of posters. :lol:

Well, I meant old !@#$s with nothing if not respect... stones fan.

It is a gru(ndg)e thread, afterall. The hippie music thread is down the hall, to the left.

Well, I meant old !@#$s with nothing if not respect... stones fan.

It is a gru(ndg)e thread, afterall. The hippie music thread is down the hall, to the left.

Who you callin' a "Stones fan"?